Maine small area history courtesy of Maine Public Television

After the Bruins game (They are on a roll!) I surfed over to Maine Public.  They were broadcasting a video about the history of Spruce Mountain, a rope tow area in Jay.  Of particular interest is a lot of history of the original Spruce Mountain farther outside town.  Access on a private road was too difficult so after 2 years they moved the whole operation closer to town.  Excellent interviews of the original builders and shakers.  http://mainepublic.org/post/town-moved-mountain

They also have a more general video on the history of Maine's smaller areas that's also good.  http://mainepublic.org/post/1000-feet-and-below

Comments

• edited January 26

I just went to ACME Mapper to look at the Spruce Mountain layout, and was amused to find that the Jay high school, now merged with Livermore Falls, is called Spruce Mountain High School! According to Wikipedia the name was chosen by the students and it definitely refers to the ski hill. I found the probable original Spruce Mountain about 5 miles north of Jay, and on the topo there does appear to be a trace of a 220-vf ski slope on the north face. Jeremy?

I'm glad of the name change because it wipes out a bad memory - My high school football team got beat by Jay 49-7.

• Ah I kinda wondered why they called it a mountain when I skied the new? place. That's another vid I need to check out
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited January 27
    The video explains that when the 2 local high schools merged, the students voted to name the new school after the ski slope where kids from both schools skied.  Talk about a community hill!

There's a lot of video and discussion on the original Spruce Mtn too.
  • The small hill video is one of the best I've ever seen, good to see Dave Beers on camera and hard at it, lots of tbars ,small areas rock!
    Excellent excellent excellent!!!!!

Thanks for sharing loaf!