Berkshire East New Trails

ropeways.net | Home | 2018-01-29

˜Thunder™ And ˜Bolt™ Add To Berkshire East Trail Count And Views

Now with the most terrain in Massachusetts, Berkshire East cut two new trails last summer that bring sweeping views of the Berkshires, accessible for even the resort™s newest skiers and riders.

Looking up at the mountain from the base, you’ll see the new Thunder trail to the left, on the north face. From the top, it wraps from Outback, behind the wind turbine, all the way back down to the bottom of Chair 1 and Mohawk.

This beginner trail features wide-open slopes, undulating terrain, and north views that haven’t been offered yet at Berkshire East.

The new Bolt trail cuts from mid-Mohawk to mid-Thunder. Part of this project included the expansion of long-time favorite trail Mohawk, which was widened from the top of the mountain all the way through the Bear Run intersection.

The north face of the mountain retains a lot more snow, and tree runs in this area open up more options for advanced skiers and riders.

All intermediate trails that intersect with the new Thunder trail have been widened, and with improved snowmaking on those trails, there’s a net benefit for every skiing and riding level at Berkshire East.

This project is part of ongoing enhancements at the resort, including plans for a new lift in the coming years.

Berskshire East boasts 47 trails on over 180 acres, giving them the most terrain in Massachusetts. With 100 percent onsite renewable energy powering 100 percent of their snowmaking, Berkshire East claims to be the only ski area in the world to produce 100 percent of their own electricity from onsite renewables.

Source: "Snocountry.com"

Comments

• Is there a recent design of the new trails anywhere?  Can't seem to find anything.
  • Skied the new trails this weekend and had a mixed reaction to them. Love that they make that side of the ,oumtain more skiablefor everyone. Concerned that two parts of the thunder trail are pretty flat. Flat enough that if I were still a snowboarder i would not bother with them. Even skiers gotta know they are coming to prevent minor poling would be involved. Also part of. Thunder I s a little steep for a true green. It is wide enough at that point but still a little steep. I really like bolt as it connects Mohawk and the lower part of thunder nicely.. I was concerned about widening of bolt but it is fine.
    And visually more appealing now. I can tell this will make for a nice pod. Now to get snowmaking on Roy’s way.
  • My memory (and it's fading; that was a long time ago) is that when BEaat was still Thunder Mountain, a couple of trails on that side of the mountain used to get pretty icy. There was a problem with springs, as I recall. Is that still a problem, or has snow-making and grooming cleared that up?
  • Bill29 said:

My memory (and it's fading; that was a long time ago) is that when BEaat was still Thunder Mountain, a couple of trails on that side of the mountain used to get pretty icy. There was a problem with springs, as I recall. Is that still a problem, or has snow-making and grooming cleared that up?

I have never seen any drainage issues on Mohawk or Big Chief.  Sometimes Flying Cloud can have a sheet across it at the top, but generally, this place is top notch all-around.

It concerns me what skizilla mentions about flats because lower sections of Outback are notoriously flat.  It would be a big turn-off to have both novice routes from the top with major flats.
  • Bill29 said:

My memory (and it's fading; that was a long time ago) is that when BEaat was still Thunder Mountain, a couple of trails on that side of the mountain used to get pretty icy. There was a problem with springs, as I recall. Is that still a problem, or has snow-making and grooming cleared that up?

I have never seen any drainage issues on Mohawk or Big Chief.  Sometimes Flying Cloud can have a sheet across it at the top, but generally, this place is top notch all-around.

It concerns me what skizilla mentions about flats because lower sections of Outback are notoriously flat.  It would be a big turn-off to have both novice routes from the top with major flats.
    I think the sections are flatter than the outback section and the trail itself is less interesting no twists and turns..better views though.  part of the lower flat actually goes very briefly uphill I do not know if it is just an ill placed snowmaking whale or a natural feature but it is a momentum killer.