Groomer Rides

Is there any other place that gives groomer rides?
https://www.boyne.com/boynemountain/activities/groomer-rides
I am going to be up there at the end of February. I just might have to look into this

Comments

• edited January 30
    Sugarbush used to do something like this that was something like, "ride with a groomer for an hour" or something like that. Now it's just the Sunset ride or Sunrise ride in the 12 passenger cat that they have: https://www.sugarbush.com/activities/cabin-cat/

Killington also still offers the Motor Room Bar, which again is more just a trip up in the back of a cat to the top of Bear: http://www.killington.com/site/to-do/resort-dining/motor_room
  • Black Mountain, NH does
    - Sam
  • While I was at my kids race at Stratton last Saturday, I saw that they are offering a ride up in the back of a cat (in one of the how every many # of people coaches they install on a cat) to the mid mountain restaurant for dinner on select evenings now.

Not quite the same as sitting up front with the operator during a shift.  I got to do that about 5 years ago out at the Canyons, and I won't forget getting into the cat, and then the operator making sure that my 3 point harness was fastened and then tell me that when going down steeper pitches that it's totally fine and normal to put my feet up on the windshield to help brace myself against the pitch!  He wasn't joking!! 

• Several years ago at Mt. Wachusett, in middle April when I thought the area had closed for the season, I walked up the access road to the Conifer Trail and there was a groomer shoving piles of snow around. The driver said the Crowleys were planning to open on  the weekend. The driver invited me along for a while. It was a new, state of the art groomer, I guess, and pretty comfortable, with a heater, cushioned seats, stereo, more than the comforts of home. Oh, and it moved snow around pretty well, too.
  • Winter Park has scenic cat rides and another for skiing access. 
  • Bill29 said:

Several years ago at Mt. Wachusett, in middle April when I thought the area had closed for the season, I walked up the access road to the Conifer Trail and there was a groomer shoving piles of snow around. The driver said the Crowleys were planning to open on  the weekend. The driver invited me along for a while. It was a new, state of the art groomer, I guess, and pretty comfortable, with a heater, cushioned seats, stereo, more than the comforts of home. Oh, and it moved snow around pretty well, too.

Pretty standard these days. For your $350,000 investment.

• I have gotten many rides for just waiving at the groomer and asking him to cruise me around for a bit. None of them said no. I stayed at the Bromley Sun Lodge once, and rode every night I was there. Riding in the back while working was never as fun. I asked for all my rides before I really worked at areas, so the experience at the time was super cool to me.

• Pretty sure there was a thread about this not very long ago. I was at Smuggler's Notch a few years ago and a sunrise groomer cab ride up on Sundays was available. I believe it was 50 bucks a person. The head snow reporter (Hugh) speaks during most of the time and gives history.
  • edited January 30
    Myself and my daughter are signed up to go on Saturday the 24th at Boyne Mtn. They shut part of the hill down at 6pm for grooming. We are looking forward to it
  • Jay at one time gave short rides around 5 or 6pm. I doubt they still do
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited January 31
    As mentioned before, more times than not waving a groomer down is enough to net you a groomer ride. Most groomers are happy to show people their profession, and it’s nice having some one to talk to. The success rate will increase if you offer him or her a nice craft brew as well.
  • As mentioned before, more times than not waving a groomer down is enough to net you a groomer ride. Most groomers are happy to show people their profession, and it’s nice having some one to talk to. The success rate will increase if you offer him or her a nice craft brew as well.
    That was true in my case. I was on the balcony of the Sun Lodge and the guy yelled up bring down a few beers. Eventually three machines pulled up and each guy grabbed two each. Unfortunately, they were just cans, not a nice craft brew.
  • I've ridden in front for a shift at Silver Creek back in the 80's as part of a Junior Ski Patrol seminar and in back several times as a patroller in both an old SnoCat and a Pisten Bully. If the timing was different, I would have loved to work at Sugarbush as the Lincoln Limo driver. 

I've also skijored behind a BV 206. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • Treilly said:

Myself and my daughter are signed up to go on Saturday the 24th at Boyne Mtn. They shut part of the hill down at 6pm for grooming. We are looking forward to it

Very jealous of course, we must have a pictured trip report from this adventure.
  • newman said:

As mentioned before, more times than not waving a groomer down is enough to net you a groomer ride. Most groomers are happy to show people their profession, and it’s nice having some one to talk to. The success rate will increase if you offer him or her a nice craft brew as well.

That was true in my case. I was on the balcony of the Sun Lodge and the guy yelled up bring down a few beers. Eventually three machines pulled up and each guy grabbed two each. Unfortunately, they were just cans, not a nice craft brew.
    Thinking corporately, wouldn't this not be allowed at a lot of resorts these days. Drinking while working, having an uninsured non-employee in a heavy machinery vehichle. 
  • I don't think it was allowed then.
  • Hop in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce6HqsQxq7I. That was last night (1/31) at Roundtop, PA, where I get my part-time grooming fix in the midst of my other current projects. I knew it was going to be a relatively straight-ahead night with no rush, so I figured I'd bring the camera along for some fun.
  • Hey ya missed a spot, no only kidding. How's the head and leg room? Every inch counts
    Would like to see aJackson Hole groomer vid , some steepness and winching
    How wide are those "blades"? 10-12'?
  • ciscokid said:

Hey ya missed a spot, no only kidding. How's the head and leg room? Every inch counts
    Would like to see aJackson Hole groomer vid , some steepness and winching
    How wide are those "blades"? 10-12'?

Lots of head & leg room. Very comfortable cabs, with Recaro racing seats that move wherever you want them. Blades are 16' wide. 
  • edited February 24
    Bringing Ted's thread back up, he just texted me a video of him in the front seat of a groomer at Boyne mtn on the Superbowl, I'm sure he and his daughter Meagan are having the thrill of their lives!
    I'm sure he'll post a vid of it soon
  • Here is the link. It was from Facebook live so I am not sure if everyone will be able to see it.

• Treilly said:

Here is the link. It was from Facebook live so I am not sure if everyone will be able to see it.

You'd have to mark it Public for most of us to see it.
  • tedede said:

Treilly said:

Here is the link. It was from Facebook live so I am not sure if everyone will be able to see it.

Ok Try it now
  • Treilly said:

tedede said:

Treilly said:

Ok Try it now
    It works, thanks for sharing!