The Juggernaut.....who has skied it from end to end?

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 887
Is the Juggernaut still the ten miles of almost no gradient from Killington Peak down to the gondola base? Or was it to the bottom of that triple chair that got shortened?

Regardless, I didn't attempt it and I'm wondering if I should've? Figured skiing Outer Limits top to bottom was achievement enough!

IBRAKE

Comments

• newpylongnewpylong advanced
    Ah, the incredibly shrinking Big K.

The 10 miles was K-Peak to Gondola Base - which was possible until Irene took her toll on the section between Bear parking lot and Route 4. It is no longer on the map - not sure if still physically skiable, but it seems the mountain has abandoned it.

"Juggernaut Too" branched off of Falls Brook just above the Northeast Passage Triple and descended down to the base of Sunrise. There is still an open section at the very top, the rest went bye bye when Lower Sunrise was abandoned. there was also another incredibly flat trail that went down to Sunrise base called Sunrise Trail.

Going to skimap.org is worth checking out, you can see where all of this used to be and what is there now. I skied all of these trails once just to say I did. Juggernaut from K-Peak down to Bear is doable if it is groomed without much pushing.
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    newpylong said:

Ah, the incredibly shrinking Big K.

The 10 miles was K-Peak to Gondola Base - which was possible until Irene took her toll on the section between Bear parking lot and Route 4. It is no longer on the map - not sure if still physically skiable, but it seems the mountain has abandoned it.

"Juggernaut Too" branched off of Falls Brook just above the Northeast Passage Triple and descended down to the base of Sunrise. There is still an open section at the very top, the rest went bye bye when Lower Sunrise was abandoned. there was also another incredibly flat trail that went down to Sunrise base called Sunrise Trail.

Going to skimap.org is worth checking out, you can see where all of this used to be and what is there now. I skied all of these trails once just to say I did. Juggernaut from K-Peak down to Bear is doable if it is groomed without much pushing.
    I forgot to mention, the section between Bear and Route 4 was most interesting. There used to be a ski bridge across Sunrise Mt. road right at the end of the Bear parking lot. That eventually fell/was taken down and you had to walk across the lot. Then down further the trail crossed East Mountain/Bear Mt. road with a turnbuckle style wooden maze to keep snowmobilers off the trail.
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    I skiied it top to bottom with my folks probably around 1992ish.. just to say we could!   it was a double poleing 'fun' time....
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    I remember doing it once back in the 80's.  More of a cross country trail than an alpine run as I recall.

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Unfortunately I skied the full length of the trail back in the 80's.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• JMaulJMaul advanced
    Never had the chance to do anything on lower Sunrise so never experienced the entire run.

Another question. K touts it was a 10 mile run. How honest is that claim?  I'm thinking 7-8 miles.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • SnowmasterSnowmaster advanced
    You're right, 10 miles was a stretch. I think the cheat was this: If you skied Juggernaut to Juggernaut Too, rode the northeast passage chair and then skied the rest of Juggernaut to the gondola base, that makes almost exactly 10 miles. Juggernaut alone is more like 6. And yes, I've skied it top to bottom, although sadly after the bridge below the Bear lodge was gone.
  • skizillaskizilla novice
    Skied it and actuallu did not mind it that much.  Some poling but it really was not that bad you just had to know when to catch speed ahead of time sure the first couple times was a bear but once you knew what was coming it was actually kind of enjoyable.  I like that i could spend a half an hour on a trail at a time and not be hitting the lift every ten minutes.  and yeah ten miles seemed a stretch,.

Why again did they close sunrise.  I think i used to park there and get away from crowds coming and going.
  • bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate
    edited May 2015 Posts: 92
    Skied it and actuallu did not mind it that much.  Some poling but it really was not that bad you just had to know when to catch speed ahead of time sure the first couple times was a bear but once you knew what was coming it was actually kind of enjoyable.  I like that i could spend a half an hour on a trail at a time and not be hitting the lift every ten minutes.  and yeah ten miles seemed a stretch,.

Why again did they close sunrise.  I think i used to park there and get away from crowds coming and going.

They had intended on expanding in that direction, but the plans were changed due to Bear habitat and they abandoned the plan and started focusing on the Pico connect.  The full length ride on the lift was really long, I think 15 mins, and it was not very heavily used.
    Here's some more info:
    http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/skiareaexpansions/Vermont/killington/parkersgore.php

I have skied both the Juggernaut and Juggernaut 2 routes to Sunrise and the Gondola.  One of those things that's cool and sucks at the same time. 
    I remember skiing to the former base of the northeast passage triple and thinking how poor the snow quality was, even in February. That Yan triple was about 9,000 ft long at the time, winding up and down the ravines it traversed.
  • mtsnow100mtsnow100 intermediate
    Once.... Never again.... That was around 1993 when it was the old version.....
    I can't say that I've ever visited Killington, but if I do I will want to try the infamous Juggernaut! :D
    - Sam

I can't say that I've ever visited Killington, but if I do I will want to try the infamous Juggernaut! :D

Oh, yes. Same here! Only I'm skiing it all the way down to the base gondola station.
  • verticaldropverticaldrop intermediate
    I have and it is beautiful if nothing else.....
  • woodcorewoodcore novice
    You only ski that trail once!!