Winter OLYMPICS 2018 comments results question answers etc.

Comments

• What time ( eastern std) is all the ski racing on?
  • edited February 15
    WGS starts at 8pm tonight (Wed)
    MDH 9:30 pm tonight

Korea is 14 hrs ahead of east US
  • I kind of figured that someone would take exception to what bode said about marriage. People are way to sensitive.
  • Yes! Gold for Mikaela! I stayed up to watch it live and it was worth it!
  • skirick said:

I kind of figured that someone would take exception to what bode said about marriage. People are way to sensitive.

?
  • edited February 15
    skirick said:

I kind of figured that someone would take exception to what bode said about marriage. People are way to sensitive.

Agreed, that's his dry sense of humor.  Personally I enjoy it.  My wife sat up and said "what?!?  Is he serious?"   I just laughed and said, he's gonna hear about that one. 

That aside, his commentary is right on

Good call lotsoskiing on Svindal!  I really thought he looked way too ragged in the training runs.  He certainly hammered it last night (this morning I guess?)

I watched every single one of the 50 something skiers on that live internet cable tv feed channel, I have to say they are all impressive, elite skiers.  All but the last couple skiers in the field were within 8 seconds of Svindal, which is pretty amazing if you think about it.  Even Hudec, who looked like a slug and barely tucked, was within that margin.  

Bib #31 did something I've never seen, he was going straight at a gate at 67 mph -- went between the poles and ducked under the flag like he was threading a needle, the flag stayed intact and the gate didn't even move.  Incredible

• skirick said:

Bib #31 did something I've never seen, he was going straight at a gate at 67 mph -- went between the poles and ducked under the flag like he was threading a needle, the flag stayed intact and the gate didn't even move.  Incredible
    Aamodt did that in the DH in Lillehammer, I believe. Takes some guts and quick thinking to do without killing yourself
  • 67 mph is roughly 100 fps.  So each foot saved is a 100th of a second.
  • skirick said:

Aamodt did that in the DH in Lillehammer, I believe. Takes some guts and quick thinking to do without killing yourself
    And Weibrecht just did it in the SG...bummer. He was going for it
  • Trifecta wagering!

Mayer - Feuz - Jansrud

Now if only I could get the races right!  I have the same problem at the horse track.

Ligety and Weinbrecht both looked good until they biffed

Wasn't Frida Hansdotter married about a year ago?  Disappointed Bode didn't mention that!  
    ;))

• Tonight picking Lara Gut to win the Super G.  I'll be rooting for Lindsey but not overly optimistic.

Austrian coursesetter tonight (tomorrow).  I imagine they're going to set up for Schmidhofer or Veith but Gut is better and seems to thrive on Austrian sets

• Tonight picking Lara Gut to win the Super G.  I'll be rooting for Lindsey but not overly optimistic.

Austrian coursesetter tonight (tomorrow).  I imagine they're going to set up for Schmidhofer or Veith but Gut is better and seems to thrive on Austrian sets

Tough to win from #1 in SG, but not Lindsey's first rodeo. I think the hill has more terrain than suits her at this point- if the set is anything like the guys' was (gates on or just past every roller) it will be hard for her.

Gut (starting 5) is a good call and I am rooting for her. Rebensburg could be the darkhorse if a turny set.

I'll go with Gut, Weireither, Vonn
  • That skeleton is nuts,

Think Bode knows his stuff and tells it like it is

Lindsay5th
  • ciscokid said:

That skeleton is nuts,

Think Bode knows his stuff and tells it like it is

Lindsay5th

6th. Surprise winner from Czech 
  • Yeah I stayed up for the WGS too. I'm still tired.. but it was great. Caught the MDH on stream too. Kudos NBC as I like those broadcasts better than the other fare
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_it said:

Yeah I stayed up for the WGS too. I'm still tired.. but it was great. Caught the MDH on stream too. Kudos NBC as I like those broadcasts better than the other fare

I stumbled on the Olympic Channel's "Olympic News", which is basically an announcerless broadcast of races and events, followed by interviews with medal winners. All you heard was the sound of the events- scraping skis on snow, etc. Much more pleasant than a lot of the inane commentary (though I agree, Bode is very good as an analyst).
  • edited February 18
    I found it kind of amusing that In the woman's super g, they just about had the winner crowned when the 26th skier came down and took it away.
  • Way to go Ryan Cochran Siegle!!!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Did I hear correctly that the woman who won the super g also is a snowboarder?
  • Bill29 said:

Did I hear correctly that the woman who won the super g also is a snowboarder?

Yep, parallel GS and very good at it
  • Bill29 said:

Did I hear correctly that the woman who won the super g also is a snowboarder?

Ester Ledecka!!!!  Ha, yes, although according to Bode it's more like she's a snowboarder who is also a skier!  Bode put it that way during the downhill training, I thought I heard a touch of disdain in his voice

Feel sorry for Veith but honestly, just have to laugh when I imagine the Austrians reacting to this.  Veith pulled out of the downhill, wonder if this shock had something to do with it.

No podiums, no nothing!  She had one 7th place in a downhill, Lake Louise.  I'm not sure this has ever happened in the Olympics during the "modern FIS World Cup" era?  Even Barbara Cochran, who was a real surprise winner, had a bunch of podiums and a couple wins prior to her gold.  

I realize there are surprise winners in World Cup from time to time, but I can't think of anything like this exactly in the Olympics.  Anybody know of anything remotely close to this in alpine skiing in the Olympics?   

• Stayed up late again last night and it worth it! Watched Mikaela win the silver in the combined and the womens hockey team beat Canada in a shoot -out. 

• can't believe Hirscher and Kristoffersen both biffed

• "Watched Mikaela win the silver..."

The cliche is "You don't win the silver. You lose the gold." Apparently a woman on the Canadian hockey team feels that way. She removed the silver medal almost immediately after it was presented to her. Too bad. I am no athlete, but any Olympic medal is an accomplishment IMO.

• Bill29 said:

"Watched Mikaela win the silver..."

The cliche is "You don't win the silver. You lose the gold." Apparently a woman on the Canadian hockey team feels that way. She removed the silver medal almost immediately after it was presented to her. Too bad. I am no athlete, but any Olympic medal is an accomplishment IMO.

Yeah I saw that. It depends on your prospective, 2nd is the 1st loser, etc. Its a shame people get to the level that they can't take a step back and just appreciate what they have.

• The US women winning the XC sprint relay was incredible, as was the fact that EVERY one of their competitors hugged them and looked very happy for them. Great show of class and spirit.

Close second was the look on the women's SG winner's face- complete disbelief. Followed closely by Mowinckel's giddy response to seeing that she had WON the silver in the DH.

I'll ignore the ones who were poor sports and celebrate these (and others) who showed why it is that people do sports.
  • The US women winning the XC sprint relay was incredible, as was the fact that EVERY one of their competitors hugged them and looked very happy for them. Great show of class and spirit.

Close second was the look on the women's SG winner's face- complete disbelief. Followed closely by Mowinckel's giddy response to seeing that she had WON the silver in the DH.

I'll ignore the ones who were poor sports and celebrate these (and others) who showed why it is that people do sports.
    Jessie Diggins - a star is born.
  • Let's not forget Kikkan Randall
  • edited February 23
    ski_it said:

Way to go Ryan Cochran Siegle!!!

Stupid question, the Cochrans from the ski area in Vt?

Answer my own stupid question

https://usskiandsnowboard.org/athletes/ryan-cochran-siegle
  • ciscokid said:

ski_it said:

Way to go Ryan Cochran Siegle!!!

Stupid question, the Cochrans from the ski area in Vt?

Yes.