Mt Holly 2/8/2018

TreillyTreilly advanced
edited February 9 in Trip Reports Posts: 287
When I went to Boyne a few weeks ago I ran into a friend of mine is who is on the Ski Patrol at Mt Holly and he gave me a couple of lift ticket passes. My daughter and myself went for an evening of skiing. It was around 15 degrees out but next to no wind and with the small snow storms we have had over the last week the 2' here and 3" there has made the snow conditions semi firm but very easy to get an edge in and no ice We skied from 5pm until around 9 pm and got 25 runs in for 5.835' of vertical in. Not a bad night when the avg vertical is 233'. Some people wonder why a small hill would have a HSQ, without the HSQ we never would have come close to 25 runs. Another good time sking with my Kid. imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
Also can’t forget there cool retro T-shirt image
IMG_2311.JPG
2016 x 1512 - 927K
IMG_2312.JPG
640 x 480 - 74K
IMG_2313.JPG
640 x 480 - 108K
IMG_2315.JPG
640 x 480 - 64K
IMG_2317.jpg
640 x 480 - 99K
Ski Track.JPG
508 x 840 - 94K
Track1.JPG
396 x 666 - 55K
B48538B8-F808-4C60-A9D9-4EDC948EE798.jpeg
2016 x 1512 - 864K

Comments

  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Posts: 2,245
    Great price and priceless time spent with Meagan!
    May I add, Ted was going to buy me a t shirt with the muskeg and Hall gothic cathedral doubles but they didn't have anything bigger than a medium.
    Get a medium for yourself Ted and let me be envious!

    May try to get to Bittersweet tomm and ride Hollys sister area w a high speed Poma quad if I can get the grandsons out
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    Posts: 287
    ciscokid said:

    Great price and priceless time spent with Meagan!
    May I add, Ted was going to buy me a t shirt with the muskeg and Hall gothic cathedral doubles but they didn't have anything bigger than a medium.
    Get a medium for yourself Ted and let me be envious!

    I take a large otherwise I would have bought one

  • conradconrad intermediate
    Posts: 51
    Nice read and pictures!
    How much do you ski the Detroit ski areas Ted? Believe it or not a Remontees-Mecaniques user is visiting next week Tuesday-Wednesday to ski at least two ski areas and where he goes will probably come down to maximizing the number of ski lifts open. However, I wasn't sure if any of the four ski areas are better than the others.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Posts: 2,245
    Ok what brand is that yellow chair?

    Looks like that quad at the racing area is one of the type of Halls I rode at Timber Ridge last week and also one at Cannonsburg and one at Whitecap Wi.

    Is that a Hall triple to the right of the bumps?

    I need to study the history of Halls again, I lost the info on SJ1 that Russ posted of his letters from the Hall co. I still say the gothic cathedral was the best styled chair of all time.
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    Posts: 287
    conrad said:

    Nice read and pictures!

    How much do you ski the Detroit ski areas Ted? Believe it or not a Remontees-Mecaniques user is visiting next week Tuesday-Wednesday to ski at least two ski areas and where he goes will probably come down to maximizing the number of ski lifts open. However, I wasn't sure if any of the four ski areas are better than the others.
    I have skied in metro Detroit very often. During the mid week none of them will have all the lifts going. Mt Holly should have around 4 of the 7 lifts going. If he goes there ask to talk to Mark Tibbits he is the manager and has been there for a long time and he may be a good source of info.
    Alpine has 9 lifted but two of them are not even used anymore.
    Mt Brighton has has 5 lifts and one of them is a
    Von Roll
    I have never been to Pine Knob.
    I would say go to Mt Holly and Mt Brighton
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    Posts: 287
    ciscokid said:

    Ok what brand is that yellow chair?

    Looks like that quad at the racing area is one of the type of Halls I rode at Timber Ridge last week and also one at Cannonsburg and one at Whitecap Wi.

    Is that a Hall triple to the right of the bumps?

    I need to study the history of Halls again, I lost the info on SJ1 that Russ posted of his letters from the Hall co. I still say the gothic cathedral was the best styled chair of all time.

    I am not sure what kind lift to the left of the race area is. It’s rarely open and I have never ridden it. The right side is the Poma HSQ.
    The yellow lift is a hall double and the lift by the bumps is a hall triple.
    Mt Holly has hall double, a quad Doppelmayr CTEC, a HSQ Poma, a Hall triple,two Ribblet triples and the one quad that I don’t know what it is
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    Posts: 287
    The chair lift to the left of the race area is where the Gothic Cathedral chairs were located. It’s hard to see in that pic but the top of that lift is the original summit before it was built up
  • conradconrad intermediate
    Posts: 51
    Thanks for the information. I'll try to get him to visit Mt. Holly. Not to sure about Mt. Brighton since it might be tough for him to pass up Alpine Valley and Pine Knob which are half the price.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Posts: 2,245
    conrad said:

    Thanks for the information. I'll try to get him to visit Mt. Holly. Not to sure about Mt. Brighton since it might be tough for him to pass up Alpine Valley and Pine Knob which are half the price.

    Mt Brighton= Vail= $$
  • conradconrad intermediate
    Posts: 51
    My friend ended up going to all 4 Detroit ski areas in two days, by the way!
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    Posts: 287
    conrad said:

    My friend ended up going to all 4 Detroit ski areas in two days, by the way!

    Just curious did he like one any better than the other
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Posts: 2,245
    conrad said:

    My friend ended up going to all 4 Detroit ski areas in two days, by the way!

    Don't tell me he's from
    Vermont, or Europe! Boy Michigan is getting some love this year!

    Who has the most pictures on at RM Conrad?
    When's do the pics of Boyne(s) go on RM?
    Would like to see some more here on SJ
  • conradconrad intermediate
    Posts: 51
    Yes, this visitor came all the way from Paris, France, but he's a flight attendant so it's part of the job. He took 1735 photos at all four ski areas. This person, who goes by Rodo_Af, is by far the most prolific user on Remontees-Mecaniques and has documented almost 3000 ski lifts around the world.
    I didn't get his overall rankings of which ones were better, but he described Mt. Brighton as "too flat," Pine Knob as "lovely," Alpine Valley as "back to the future," and "a mountain with no future" and Mt. Holly as "they try to survive and do there best." Note he did catch Pine Knob on a $26 day, so there probably was a good atmosphere with lots of people around.
    Mt. Brighton will come to Remontees-Mecaniques in March and I'm definitely going to get the Boyne Mountain series going in March as well. Sorry for the delay: I've been finishing off the Okemo series and want to do a few loose reports first including the new t-bar at Whaleback and maybe the new chairlifts at Sugarbush as well.
Sign In or Register to comment.