Politically Correct Trail Name Changes

2»

Comments

• NJSki said:

... As an Irishman, would someone of Irish ethnicity have been offended by the theme and trail names there?

Only if you were a Leprechaun.

Brodie Leprechaun.JPG
    204 x 271 - 16K
  • Can we digress into simply trail name changes?

Linda's Elbow at Jiminy Peak has been renamed to Catacombs. (I wonder who Linda is, and why did the name get changed?)
    "I need a powder day"
  • Okemo had a trail called Squaw, I know that's politically incorrect.

They also had a trail called Peacepipe, from what I read that is now considered politically incorrect.  I won't question that, since we aren't here to do that, but I am compelled to point out  that they could've saved money by just sawing the smoking mechanism part off the trail signs, and it would've been fine.
    It just occurred to me that if they had saved the  "PIPE" half of the signs they could've repurposed them for the halfpipe!

jgreco said:

Thread has left the rails...

I find it thought-provoking and educational!

• coreshot said:

NJSki said:

I never got to ski at Brodie, but I am curious: As an Irishman, would someone of Irish ethnicity have been offended by the theme and trail names there?

There was a black diamond named Drunk Abusive Father...
    As an Irishman I'm offended that you assume that part of the Irish theme!   ;)) %%-
  • Skizix said:

Can we digress into simply trail name changes?

Linda's Elbow at Jiminy Peak has been renamed to Catacombs. (I wonder who Linda is, and why did the name get changed?)
    That's a good one. Even if I don't know the story, I like when there are people's names included in a few trails. Lets me imagine there's a good story behind it, hopefully beyond "they were an owner/manager" or "they paid to have a trail named after them."