Memorably bad ideas in the ski industry

Comments

• RFID. Technology was sold to ski areas yet adds no value, cost is passed on to customers.
  • Was the Tenney Glacier the ice making machine for summer skiing?

Anyone remember Besser Plate bindings?

How about the Alsop Ski poles with the spring loaded handles?  Or the Alsop bindings where you put the pole tip in a hole in the toe-piece to step out of the binding.  Photos here.

Hexcel honeycomb skis.  

Volant metal capped skis.  

I still have my pair of Nishizawa 213 Super G's in hot pink.  I'll drag them up to Crotched one day.

Boston Hills in North Andover had mat brush skiing.  I know they have it now but in the early 80's the technology was not very good.

The place in the meadowlands was the Xanadu Snowdome.  Can't forget the "snowdome" part lest we annoy ONJ and ELO.

• I remember seeing people roller skiing at Hunter during the German Alps festivals in the late 70's.
  • tedede said:

Was the Tenney Glacier the ice making machine for summer skiing?

Anyone remember Besser Plate bindings?

How about the Alsop Ski poles with the spring loaded handles?  Or the Alsop bindings where you put the pole tip in a hole in the toe-piece to step out of the binding.  Photos here.

Hexcel honeycomb skis.  

Volant metal capped skis.  

I still have my pair of Nishizawa 213 Super G's in hot pink.  I'll drag them up to Crotched one day.

Boston Hills in North Andover had mat brush skiing.  I know they have it now but in the early 80's the technology was not very good.

The place in the meadowlands was the Xanadu Snowdome.  Can't forget the "snowdome" part lest we annoy ONJ and ELO.

What's wrong with Volants?
    - Sam
  • edited February 20

What's wrong with Volants?

+1. Never had a pair myself, but was always jealous of friends that did.

And yes, the 'Tenney Glacier' was the summer snowmaking system. Was it a bad idea? It's a slippery slope whether this was a bad idea or not. What are the exact conditions that define good vs bad snowmaking? I've never yet experienced snowmaking that wasn't expected to melt. How about pro hockey in Florida?
  • The chondola! Bad name....worse concept. It's pretty amazing that they could spend so much money trying to achieve the best of both worlds, but actually ending up with the worst of both worlds.
  • The chondola! Bad name....worse concept. It's pretty amazing that they could spend so much money trying to achieve the best of both worlds, but actually ending up with the worst of both worlds.

It seems pretty popular to me
    - Sam
  • The Besser plate binding patent was sold to Voile for their releaseable tele binding.
  • Similar to Kmart /Pico but not quite, bad for the skiing public, nearby ski area(s)buying out the other local ski area(s).

Cannonsburg bought out Pando( in operation for 50 yrs) and it sits dormant wasting away for 3 yrs already.(many firsts there for Mi., tubing, snowboarding, Jake Burton C there in '79)

Boyne bought out Thunder, Avalanche, Walloon.( gave Walloon away for handicapped use)
  • Do they still have those summer skis that looked like little tanks on your feet? I can't find a video yet,
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • bmwskier said:

Do they still have those summer skis that looked like little tanks on your feet? I can't find a video yet,

Try Bryce VA grass skiing on youtube

• Buyout and closing Brodie Mtn. by Jiminy Peak.  Many on this forum have very fond memories of Brodie Mtn.
  • As the OP, I want to reiterate that I am looking at bad ideas that were tried/put into action and are no longer around. 
    Tenney Glacier, Brodie buyout: check
    Michigan ski area swaps, RFID, Chondola: nope

Grass skiing: Still done at Bryce? If not, then it gets on the list.
  • I wouldn't put NJ indoor skiing on the list yet.  It's not like building that part of the complex had anything to do with it's initial failure.  New owners are doubling down with full blown amusement and water parks.  Not saying the skiing will be a success, but I wouldn't call it a failure yet.  There are at least 5 indoor places in the UK, a British co-worker was recently telling me how popular they are.  Getting to real slopes is a bit trickier in the UK, but maybe there is something to it, time will tell.
  • Bennett "B" bindings
    Rosemont boots
  • Cog Railroad skiing, that was interesting but soot covered snow makes for poor skiing conditions.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• Ringer Chairlifts
  • sugarloaf said:

Grass skiing, I think VV/GG tried this in the 1980's. Hunter Mtn tried summer skiing on plastic chips in the 1960's.

I think it was a 70s thing.  I saw it at Sunapee circa 1970-72, I was a kid, nuts about skiing --  yet it definitely looked like a bad idea to me

Unrelated, I don't know how to explain or quantify exactly -- halfpipes -- but not all halfpipes.  I think a lot of resorts spent a fortune on half pipes and related equipment that shouldn't have.  Obviously some get a lot of use and the sport is popular, but in many cases the halfpipe turned out to be a misfire

• I used Allsop poles for many years and liked them.  I thought it was a great idea.
  • Grass skiing, I think VV/GG tried this in the 1980's. Hunter Mtn tried summer skiing on plastic chips in the 1960's.
    I think it was a 70s thing.  I saw it at Sunapee circa 1970.

I thought I saw an advertisement for grass skiing for class action park in the 80's, but I could be mistaken.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• The stapless ski poles that I heard turned out to be "thumb breakers". You only see people on old straight skis with them anymore.  But evidently they never went away or are making a comeback.

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/product/scott-strapless-s-ski-pole 
  • sugarloaf said:

I thought I saw an advertisement for grass skiing for class action park in the 80's, but I could be mistaken.

I wouldn't doubt it. They served up all kinds of wacky things. probably had them in storage and thought, why not?

• edited February 20

sugarloaf said:

I wouldn't doubt it. They served up all kinds of wacky things. probably had them in storage and thought, why not?

I really miss the alpine slide, they had three cool tracks. It went from fun with Action Park to full body armor and sign your life away at Mtn Creek.

• flbski said:

The Besser plate binding patent was sold to Voile for their releaseable tele binding.

Got a pair of Besser plates on my '79 Kneissels on the garage wall. Will take a pic
    Also they fit my Kastinger xl lites w walking bootie
  • I had a pair of Volants from the NSP catalog back in the straight skis day.  They were Volkl expensive but didn't deliver Volkl performance.  The metal cap made them heavy as tanks, which back in the "unweight to turn" days was not a plus.
  • edited February 20
    Boston Hills also had the matts for summer skiing.

Grass skiing with actual green grass and roller skis is an actual thing and racing is sanctioned by FIS.
  • tedede said:

I had a pair of Volants from the NSP catalog back in the straight skis day.  They were Volkl expensive but didn't deliver Volkl performance.  The metal cap made them heavy as tanks, which back in the "unweight to turn" days was not a plus.

I forgot they were "official" skis for the patrol. I remember, though that Pre's had a good pro deal for patrollers and a lot of us bought in. 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Scott Boots--- I loved mine for a while until I started blowing shells out. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • Ski ballet
  • edited February 21
    obienick said:

Boston Hills also had the matts for summer skiing.

Grass skiing with actual green grass and roller skis is an actual thing and racing is sanctioned by FIS.
    I think either the Georgia area (now lost) and/or Cloudmont, AL had mats - even for winter.
  • Ski ballet

It was a fad.  I wouldn't call it a bad idea.