Memorably bad ideas in the ski industry

124»

Comments

• What was the relationship between Besser and Americana bindings?  They both were plate bindings and looked almost identical.  I had Americana bindings for one year and way too many releases, especially upward at the toes.  Not a binding you wanted to get in the back seat in if you were in moguls. Recovery was not possible.
  • ciscokid said:

I don't think I was a big risk taker per se, I just didn't know any better. The guy at Denville ski and sport( boat dealer on Rt 46 Denville NJ) had size 13( biggest I could find at the time1978)and probably wanted to get rid of them and said to himself ," here comes a sucker". I remember going with my girlfriend and I had some kind of coupon ski book of some sort so in my mind the price was right. It think it was around $200 or so for boots, skis and bindings. Kniessel 195 formel mid. Used them all off and on until early '90s

Gertsch bindings on my old old Kastles that split apart

Thumbs up!
  • Plate bindings IMO were part of the evolutioon from cable bindings and bear traps.  Beyond Besser,  Cubco, Spademan and a few others were all variants of the plate.  I guess if you considered 8-tracks and Beta as bad ideas, I suppose plate bindings are too.
  • Plate bindings IMO were part of the evolutioon from cable bindings and bear traps.  Beyond Besser,  Cubco, Spademan and a few others were all variants of the plate.  I guess if you considered 8-tracks and Beta as bad ideas, I suppose plate bindings are too.

Cubco's were early development bindings, friends of mine had them in the 60's.  But more traditional step-ins came about as we moved from cable binding, and as they got safer in reducing lower leg breaks, the injured knee became the next most popular injury, the plate bindings were a reaction to the knee injuries, particularly ACL injuries which occur in backwards falls.
  • In a quick look I didn't see Miller bindings. Like Cubco, these weren't plate bindings, these had plates screwed to the toes and heels of the boots. For their day, they were good for moving toward multiple release. But those plates had a down side. My ski buddy and I had them. They worked well while skiing. But getting to and from the slope was a challenge. Those metal plates were very slippery. You might not break a leg on the slopes but you could go flying on concrete floors or ice around the lodge!!