Loading midstations?

Where are there midstations that accommodate loading? Sugarloaf has three: Snubber, West Mountain and Double Runner West (that last is new this year, though it also had one many years ago). Only other one that comes to mind is the SkyeShip at Killington.

Comments

  • The Locke triple at Sunday River loads, early season.  Also, the single at MRG off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are more.
  • LeMassif has an hsq with a loading midstation.

    The Whittier Gondola had one.
  • Killington Skyeship
  • Blue Knob PA. Could be just upload early season. Not sure if its used for load or unload or at all when the area is top to bottom.
  • obienick said:

    Killington Skyeship

    Some might argue: Two haul ropes, two lifts.
  • Palmer Quad Timberline/ mt hood
  • Collins lift at Alta.  Load at the bend.  

    Smuggs used to have one on the Morse Mountain lift that allowed  skiing off the top of Morse with out going down to the bottom.  They also had one on the Madonna Lift just below the point were Drifter crosses under the chair.  The Morse one I used but I'm not so sure I ever saw the Madonna one used.  It could have only been accessed from Drifter so you would have been forced to the right off the lift at the top so I'm not sure it was ever that popular.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • newman said:

    Blue Knob PA. Could be just upload early season. Not sure if its used for load or unload or at all when the area is top to bottom.

    I know you can unload. Not sure about load. I was only ever there on two slow weekdays.
  • obienick said:

    Killington Skyeship

    Some might argue: Two haul ropes, two lifts.
    Same cabin, two stages. Does anyone know, can you turn the cabins at the midstation and operate as two separate lifts?
  • I think I remember stage two running by itself. So you could, but there would be no need to run them separately.
  • edited February 22
    How long did the K South Ridge mid load station last? Not long from what I recall.
  • newman said:

    I think I remember stage two running by itself. So you could, but there would be no need to run them separately.

    Yes,  I've seen stage 1 only run with stage 2 on windhold, and also stage 2 runs quite often when there is no skiing available down to Route 4.
  • edited February 22
    newpylong said:

    How long did the K South Ridge mid load station last? Not long from what I recall.

    It was built for uploading during early season. The idea didn't work due to the exposure as early season was successful with the K Peak mid station upload and the Glades Chair. Not sure how long they used it. It was on the old topo style trail maps after it was dismantled, for a while.
  • Back in the dark ages (leather lace boots and long thongs) the Cascades at Killington had a midway loading station. Late in the season much of the bottom half of Cascades was not skiable, so skiers loaded at mid-station to ski the top half and then loaded there to ride to the bottom.
  • 4aprice said:

    Collins lift at Alta.  Load at the bend.  


    Smuggs used to have one on the Morse Mountain lift that allowed  skiing off the top of Morse with out going down to the bottom.  They also had one on the Madonna Lift just below the point were Drifter crosses under the chair.  The Morse one I used but I'm not so sure I ever saw the Madonna one used.  It could have only been accessed from Drifter so you would have been forced to the right off the lift at the top so I'm not sure it was ever that popular.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    I would assume that being the Village chair, as the Mogul Mouse chair is made for learners. Would be interesting to know the years they did loading there. I've been going there since the late 90's and can't remember seeing that on Morse. Cool stuff!
  • I also know there is loading at the center terminal on a peak connector at Breckenridge. From what I remember, there is not unloading.
  • edited February 23
    I know at Loveland ski area in Colorado there used to be and unloading station I believe it was chair eight also to bring you up to the top of the above timberline area ,the only day we skied there was Easter Sunday in March 1997 my daughter asked are we getting off here Dad?
  • Keystone and Le Masif come to mind. Both are Gondolas. Not sure if you were only thinking about chairs.
  • 4aprice said:

    They also had one on the Madonna Lift just below the point were Drifter crosses under the chair.  The Morse one I used but I'm not so sure I ever saw the Madonna one used.  It could have only been accessed from Drifter so you would have been forced to the right off the lift at the top so I'm not sure it was ever that popular.

    M1 Midstation is unload only. Nice place to unload if you are late to the party on a powder day and the 3mtn glades haven't been hit yet or you want to snake lower lift line before the guys going all the way up in front of you have gotten back down.
  • Mad River Glen- Single Chair. Unload and load
  • newman said:

    Blue Knob PA. Could be just upload early season. Not sure if its used for load or unload or at all when the area is top to bottom.

    I know you can unload. Not sure about load. I was only ever there on two slow weekdays.
    The Blue Knob mid station on the Route 66 chairlift operates all season.
  • newman said:

    Blue Knob PA. Could be just upload early season. Not sure if its used for load or unload or at all when the area is top to bottom.

    I know you can unload. Not sure about load. I was only ever there on two slow weekdays.
    The Blue Knob mid station on the Route 66 chairlift operates all season.
    It was operating both times I was there and I got off at midstation as the top above it is pretty flat. I just never saw anyone load there.
  • riverc0il said:

    4aprice said:

    They also had one on the Madonna Lift just below the point were Drifter crosses under the chair.  The Morse one I used but I'm not so sure I ever saw the Madonna one used.  It could have only been accessed from Drifter so you would have been forced to the right off the lift at the top so I'm not sure it was ever that popular.

    M1 Midstation is unload only. Nice place to unload if you are late to the party on a powder day and the 3mtn glades haven't been hit yet or you want to snake lower lift line before the guys going all the way up in front of you have gotten back down.
    Wasn't always that way Steve.  When it was first put in it was mean't to load as well and there is a trail cut from Drifter to the station just for that purpose.

    The mid loading station was indeed on the Village Chair (there was no Mogul Mouse chair then) and would have been between 69-74.  We rented a seasonal condo in "Smugglers" Village during those years (it was called Madonna Mt Ski Area in those days) and would drive 7 hrs each direction every other weekend and school vacations.  

    Great area and I know some will scream but I wish they'd get on Ikon or Epic. (Epic would be best if they could ressurect the interconnect with Stowe)  Heard a rumor that they put in RFID which would be a step in that direction.  Not being on one of those plans it will make it unlikely that I ski it any time soon.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • 4aprice said:

    riverc0il said:

    4aprice said:

    They also had one on the Madonna Lift just below the point were Drifter crosses under the chair.  The Morse one I used but I'm not so sure I ever saw the Madonna one used.  It could have only been accessed from Drifter so you would have been forced to the right off the lift at the top so I'm not sure it was ever that popular.

    M1 Midstation is unload only. Nice place to unload if you are late to the party on a powder day and the 3mtn glades haven't been hit yet or you want to snake lower lift line before the guys going all the way up in front of you have gotten back down.
    Wasn't always that way Steve.  When it was first put in it was mean't to load as well and there is a trail cut from Drifter to the station just for that purpose.

    The mid loading station was indeed on the Village Chair (there was no Mogul Mouse chair then) and would have been between 69-74.  We rented a seasonal condo in "Smugglers" Village during those years (it was called Madonna Mt Ski Area in those days) and would drive 7 hrs each direction every other weekend and school vacations.  

    Great area and I know some will scream but I wish they'd get on Ikon or Epic. (Epic would be best if they could ressurect the interconnect with Stowe)  Heard a rumor that they put in RFID which would be a step in that direction.  Not being on one of those plans it will make it unlikely that I ski it any time soon.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Rumor is totally true. Heard it a few times. In my opinion it would be great, to provide more terrain, spread out parking to two sides of the Notch. Could ruin the family feel to Morse, but maybe not. Would be very cool.

    There is a benefit to be able to better count skier usage on lifts, as I remember Smuggs not scanning tickets/passes previously. 
  • mtsnow123 said:

    I also know there is loading at the center terminal on a peak connector at Breckenridge. From what I remember, there is not unloading.

    Yes, the Snowflake chair. What makes it more unique that it is load only. 
    Also the 45 degree turn up with the down chairs performing a 315 degree turn.

    The Snowmass Gondy allows mid-loading. But, is that two haul ropes like Skyship?
    Another like that is the gondy at Telluride.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • edited February 23
    "Wasn't always that way Steve. When it was first put in it was mean't to load as well and there is a trail cut from Drifter to the station just for that purpose.

    The mid loading station was indeed on the Village Chair (there was no Mogul Mouse chair then) and would have been between 69-74. We rented a seasonal condo in "Smugglers" Village during those years (it was called Madonna Mt Ski Area in those days) and would drive 7 hrs each direction every other weekend and school vacations."

    Correct, when installed the Madonna mid-station had intentions of early/late usage when there wasn't snow to get to the bottom. And while Drifter is the still obvious route, there is what looks like a work road that at one time had the trail name Star, that runs from FIS at the top of Dan's Ford through the bottom of the Black Hole and Lower Red Fox Glades that would allow access from that side of the mountain, although it is uphill both ways.

    Morse Mid load was still there when I started patrolling in 1987, the whole mid-unload/loading was changed soon after that.
  • teighs said:

    "Wasn't always that way Steve. When it was first put in it was mean't to load as well and there is a trail cut from Drifter to the station just for that purpose.

    The mid loading station was indeed on the Village Chair (there was no Mogul Mouse chair then) and would have been between 69-74. We rented a seasonal condo in "Smugglers" Village during those years (it was called Madonna Mt Ski Area in those days) and would drive 7 hrs each direction every other weekend and school vacations."

    Correct, when installed the Madonna mid-station had intentions of early/late usage when there wasn't snow to get to the bottom. And while Drifter is the still obvious route, there is what looks like a work road that at one time had the trail name Star, that runs from FIS at the top of Dan's Ford through the bottom of the Black Hole and Lower Red Fox Glades that would allow access from that side of the mountain, although it is uphill both ways.

    Morse Mid load was still there when I started patrolling in 1987, the whole mid-unload/loading was changed soon after that.

    They built the mid-load on Morse when they cut Snowsnake and  (name escapes me) the trail on the other side that drops down from Garden Path.  Before that the Mid Station (unload only) was up where the last turn of Garden Path comes into the top of Lower Morse.  Lots of memories of that place in the early 70's.

    Alex  

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ


Sign In or Register to comment.