Trail map styles that change the least

Requires some investigation - but lets name some ski areas that have been using the same trail map style for decades with the fewest changes.

Jeremy

Comments

• MRG probably.  About the only change was when they added Paradise (don't remember what year) to their map.
  • MRG probably.  About the only change was when they added Paradise (don't remember what year) to their map.

True about MRG. Paradise was added sometime in the mid-nineties I think.
    d
  • Wachusett has had the same map since the mid 90s

Greek Peak NY has had the same map with some alterations since c. 1993

• Elk Mountain has had the same map since they added the quad and additional trails in the 90's.
  • Bousquet
  • Bradford has had their map since the 90s
    - Sam
  • Thunder Ridge hasn't changed there style at all in probably at least 20 years.  And except for de-listing a few trails that hasn't changed either.
  • Powder ridge is still using their old map from early 2000 even after it reopened
  • montebedi said:

Thunder Ridge hasn't changed there style at all in probably at least 20 years.  And except for de-listing a few trails that hasn't changed either.

I have never skied there, but for such a small ski area, that is one confusing trail map. On the mid-section of the mountain, it is hard to tell which way the trails run.
  • "Wachusett has had the same map since the mid 90s"

I don't think there have been any new  trails since then.
  • Bill29 said:

"Wachusett has had the same map since the mid 90s"

I don't think there have been any new  trails since then.

I don't remember Balance Rock and Ropers Road being on the map in the 90s.
  • Balance Rock and Ropers Road have been on the map since the mid 80s.
  • Suicide six, other than the recent main lift replacement.
  • Sunapee's map hasn't changed really that much since 2000 when the Clippership replaced the Province lift on South Peak and they build the Sunapee Lodge. Some trails have been added here and there and the new/old Sun Bowl Express went in a few years ago, but beyond that there hasn't really been any changes.
  • I think they still use the same four color poster map for MRG that I bought in the 1980's. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • NELSAP said:

Balance Rock and Ropers Road have been on the map since the mid 80s.

Yes they have been on the map a while, but the map changed when the small Vickery Bowl pod was finally completed in 2004 which added Piece of Cake and Frannie's Folly and the old summit triple was shortened and relocated as a mid-mountain lift.  I think it changed again in 2014 or 2015 when they "added" Norm's Way which is just a renamed part of Upper 10th Mountain.  I think that coincides with when they moved the park from Look Mom to Hithcock.  Not sure it counts but I am guessing the map will change again next year if they keep the parks in the Vickery Bowl like they have been doing most of this season.  The Oxbow Chute (skiers left at top of Lower 10th Mountain) was added sometime in the 2000s as well.  I am not sure if that was cut along with the Vickery Bowl trails or was always there and just officially added to the map.  I don't remember it as a teen int the 90s but I mostly went at night when it would have been closed anyways.  Does anybody remember if Oxbow chute was always there?

Long time lurker and finally signed up for 2.0.  This is a great forum!

Shawn

https://www.wachusett.com/?TabId=721
    http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=786
  • edited February 24
    OldMan said:

Suicide six, other than the recent main lift replacement.

Their map is only a couple years old. They recently got a new one painted.
    - Sam

As if just to prove us wrong, MRG has just updated their map: https://www.madriverglen.com/trail-maps/

As if just to prove us wrong, MRG has just updated their map: https://www.madriverglen.com/trail-maps/
    I have always liked how they change the rating at various places on the trail (see Catamount or Snail) as the pitch changes.