Black Mountain, Feb 24, 2018

While up in N. Conway for the New England Ski Museum's Eastern Slope grand opening, I squeezed in a half day of skiing at Black Mountain. 

We've had a lot of great trip reports from Black this year and in the past. It's the kind of area that a SJ'er or NELSAPPER would enjoy. Vintage lifts (55 year old Mueller double to summit with Riblet chairs, and a converted Mueller T-bar into a platter), old school narrow trails like Upper Maple Slalom and Bobolink, views of lost ski areas (Thorn and Tyrol), lots of nooks and crannies, challenging glades (when natural snow is present), and an awesome vibe from employees.

Despite a vacation week weekend, the lifts never had a line. The lodge was pretty full at lunch. Trails were very uncrowded. About half the mountain is open - the thaw hit them hard. But what was open was in decent shape without a lot of bare spots. Snow was a soft wet granular but temps were in the upper 30's so it wasn't too slushy. They had rain/sleet the night before.

Black should be on everybody's "to ski" list - there is terrain for all abilities, it has a quirky feel, and even the double chair to the summit feels like an adventure, going over streams, rocky cliffs and wide open slopes. 

Jeremy
valleyview.jpg
800 x 450 - 77K
tyrol.jpg
800 x 450 - 79K
platter.jpg
800 x 450 - 113K
mueller.jpg
800 x 450 - 100K
chair1.jpg
800 x 450 - 77K
chair2.jpg
800 x 450 - 81K
summit.jpg
450 x 800 - 79K
bigdipper.jpg
800 x 450 - 96K
trails.jpg
540 x 960 - 335K

Comments

• Not just a vacation weekend, a double vacation weekend. NH is the week after MA.

Great report. Black is definitely on my list.
  • Stopped by there Labor Day weekend '07 driving through lot , thought I saw horses

Nice report JD , wish I could ski there on a good day facing south and do Cranmore too and Attitash

Thought I'd blow this surface pic up for Ibrake4tbars image
    IMG_3819.JPG
    800 x 450 - 121K
  • Boy I love this one too JDimage
    IMG_3820.JPG
    800 x 450 - 109K
  • Thanks for the report, Black is one of my favorites. I do miss riding the platter pull, it wasn't open either time I visited this season.
    - Sam
  • great report!  was there Friday.  the platter was closed because they were unsure of the condition of the snow.  late morning patrol went up and down it a couple times on a snowmobile and they opened it up, immediately got the longest lift line on the mountain!