Abenaki 2/25/2018

Powder day at Abenaki! When the tow opened there was about three inches of new snow, and two more fell during the day. There was a good manmade base beneath the snow on open trails which made for fun turns and untracked could be found for the first half-hour. Everything except the glades and Twister was open and there were large jumps and other terrain park features set up. The rope runs as fast as a high speed quad, if not faster, which means laps can be done in under a minute. It can be loaded from either side, depending on which trail you want to ski, and it takes a good amount of upper body and arm strength to ride. Because of how fast the rope is, a full day's worth of skiing can be done within three hours, if your arms hold up that long. It was moderately busy and there was sometimes a wait for the rope tow, but lines were never more than a minute long. The majority of skiers there were kids and the hill is such a great resource for the area. With modern grooming, night skiing, a beautiful new lodge, and significant snowmaking, it is in better standing than most rope tow areas. It was a great day of skiing the new snow and I reccomend that everyone gives Abenaki a try if they aren't too far away.

Looking Up the HillimageMain SlopeimageFreewayimageFreeway and HeadwallimageFreewayimageHeadwallimageHeadwallimageBase AreaimageAbandoned Ski JumpimageFreewayimageSummit AreaimageMain Slopeimage
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 443K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 454K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 534K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 515K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 529K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 585K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 510K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 580K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 511K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 611K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 487K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 543K
- Sam

Comments

• Awesome...love seeing trip reports from these small places. Thanks!
  • Now that is a trip report!

Thanks for sharing!
  • Good work Sam
    Is that on the north side of Lk Winn, across lake from Gunstock?
    Nice little area
  • ciscokid said:

Good work Sam
    Is that on the north side of Lk Winn, across lake from Gunstock?
    Nice little area

yes it is
    - Sam
  • edited February 26
    That lodge on the left and the building at the bottom looks new from when I was there last. I only remember the small red building.
    Cisco,  wow they have a lot of info on their site now:  (like new base lodge built in 2015, must be nice to have rich neighbors like Mitt?) and a link to NELSAP.
    Abenaki Ski Area 200 VERTICAL  6 TRAILS 2 LIFTS 185 MILES from Boston https://www.wolfeboronh.us/abenaki-ski-area - skied 3/7/2009
     420 Pine Hill Rd - Route 109A Wolfeboro, NH USA (603) 569-5639
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Americas oldest small ski area

Who's America's oldest large ski area? I would say Sun Valley

How do they classify small?

Done enough rope tows in the last ten years that's for sureimage
    IMG_3830.JPG
    300 x 230 - 18K
  • Is there really a Headwall?
  • mapnut said:

Is there really a Headwall?

Yes there is, it's quite short, but relatively steep.
    - Sam