Windham Mountain Announces Six-Pack for 2018-19

February 24, 2018Peter
Landsman
17 Comments

A base-to-summit six-passenger chairlift is coming to Windham
Mountain in the Catskill Mountains of New York.  The mile-long Doppelmayr
system will replace the Whistler triple, a 1983 VonRoll triple with a ten-plus
minute ride.  A parallel detachable quad called Whirlwind, built by
Garaventa CTEC in 1993, will remain in place at least through this summer. 
Windham also revealed today it will launch RFID ticketing across its seven
lifts next season and Doppelmayr now has at least a
dozen lifts
to build in the United States and Canada this year.

The
Catskill region has seen a number of big new lifts recently, including a gondola at Belleayre and six-pack at nearby Hunter
Mountain.  Peak Resorts could build another new high-speed lift at Hunter
in 2018, raising the bar for the entire region.  Windham’s announcement
comes after two very quiet months for new lift news, with hopefully a bunch
more to come this spring.

https://liftblog.com/

Comments

• This will be a nice addition to Windham - though sad to lose a rare Von Roll Triple. The current HSQ is not particularly fast - probably around 800 fpm.
  • I also liked the old triple but it was rarely open in recent years.  Most Windham skiers seemed to prefer to wait on long lines for the quad rather than just ski/ride on the old triple.  I never understood that and would prefer to be on a moving lift than waiting in their corral.  While it is not my favorite area (or even favorite Catskill area) I am glad to see them continue to invest in the mountain.  They take good care of the base lodge and renovated the restaurant/bar in recent years.
  • Another going RFID.  Wonder if they are seeing increased traffic due to their participation in Max Pass.  They could be quite attractive to Icon or Epic with the NYC market.  

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • I always thought that HSQ seemed slow. I thought it was just my imagination.