Bad Omens

I don’t want to be the doomsayers but I skied Blue Hills Tuesday night and they will not make it through tomorrow’s storm. Yawgoo Valley is closed and Ski Ward probably won’t make it into next week. Looks like the Boston and SE area is done for the year.

Comments

• There is some talk about the Worcester area (Ski Ward, Mt. Wachusett) getting rain changing to snow. Local radio guy this morning said perhaps 1 to 3 inches in lower areas, up to 5 in higher elevations. I don't know whether he knows what he's talking about, but there's no harm in hoping.
  • edited March 1
    I could see Powder Ridge closing after this weekend. Even Ski Sundown isn't 100% open, which I can't remember seeing in early March. They usually make very deep snow on their trails.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• Nashoba is sacraficing the terrain park, moving all that snow over to Bull Run so they can keep their racing finals on the 7th.
  • I don't think Powder Ridge got enough snow down early in the winter to be ready for a thaw. My nieces raced there a few weeks ago and there still were trails that looked thinly covered. I don't know what their business was like this season, but I get down to Haddam - just down the road - often. When I've stopped by, usually on a Sunday morning, it hasn't been very busy.
  • edited March 1
    Bill29 said:

I don't think Powder Ridge got enough justsnow down early in the winter to be ready for a thaw. My nieces raced there a few weeks ago and there still were trails that looked thinly covered. I don't know what their business was like this season, but I get down to Haddam - just down the road - often. When I've stopped by, usually on a Sunday morning, it hasn't been very busy.
    </blockquote

Temperatures 15-20F above average this week with full sunshine hasn't helped. It's 61F Here right now.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• Disappointing considering I skied nights at Blue Hills well into March last year even with their increased snowmaking capacity, the weather killed their cover.
  • Blue Hills said they would be open this weekend.  They have a deep base at the bottom of Big Blue so they should be able to push things around to make it through the weekend.  One thing I really like about them is they have never been afraid to get creative to stay open a bit longer.

I was there Monday night and the skiing was great but the place was a ghost town.  
  • I didn't mean for my earlier remarks to be a wet blanket, or even a damp towel, about the weather. It doesn't look great in the next day or two, but this in March and this is New England, so anything can happen. In the past, we've had some beauts here, dating back to the Blizzard of 1888, where some histories of that storm said the area near where Powder Ridge is now got 45 or 50 inches of snow. At least,  I think the Blizzard of '88 was in March, wasn't it?. Can't really remember; I was just a kid.
  • edited March 1
    1888 Blizzard was March 11-13th.

• I hope Blue Hills opens after the storm but with 2-4” of rain in the Boston area it could really reduce what snow is left. Additionally the cover at the trail transitions and merges was pretty thin. They are closed today
  • Further South, things here in southern PA will probably wrapping up this weekend for several areas. The Snowtimes resort took a beating during all three holidays. 7 Springs, Wisp and Snowshoe are in line to receive some base building snow tonight. Unfortunately warmer weather is back again next week.
  • Still hanging on here at Bradford with 70% of terrain open. We're hoping to stretch it another week.
    - Sam
  • Further South, things here in southern PA will probably wrapping up this weekend for several areas. The Snowtimes resort took a beating during all three holidays. 7 Springs, Wisp and Snowshoe are in line to receive some base building snow tonight. Unfortunately warmer weather is back again next week.

Snowing at Snowshoe right now.  They are claiming 3" so far.
  • I
    skipro77 said:

Further South, things here in southern PA will probably wrapping up this weekend for several areas. The Snowtimes resort took a beating during all three holidays. 7 Springs, Wisp and Snowshoe are in line to receive some base building snow tonight. Unfortunately warmer weather is back again next week.

Snowing at Snowshoe right now.  They are claiming 3" so far.

I would love to take one more trip to end the season but not sure conditions warrant the 4 1/2 HR drive to get there.
  • I was wrong about Blue Hills. They were open yesterday at a cost of 25. Somehow they made it through the storm
  • I was there yesterday.  They had Big Blue and a section of the beginners area open.  I didnt make it over to the beginners area but I don't believe there was too big of a section open.  There is still a lot of deep snow on Big Blue so depending how the weather this week pan out I could see them making one more go of it.  I haven't seen an official announcement one way or the other yet.
  • According to Blue Hills website they are going to be open Thursday - Sunday this week.
  • Blue Hills survived the storm much to my surprise. They were charging 25 dollars for This last Sunday I think.
  • Another northeaster predicted for Wednesday and Thursday. This one, forecasters are saying, will bring snow rather than rain to much of southern New England, though it may change to rain in the coastal area. One forecaster says up to a foot in central Massachusetts. That's what he said the last time, but the foot of snow landed in the Catskills, I guess. We'll see about this one.
  • Lots of closed here already, especially southern Mich. Swiss Valley2/28 just north of Ind border, Timber Ridge Near Kzoo, Homestead west of Traverse city closes early every year. And local Cannonsburg is day to day. Probably several other little areas or wkend only.
    At least the east has received a nor'easter ( or two)
    Backyard syndrome and basketball madness killing the Midwest although we got an inch of snow last night here.
  • We are hopefully lookin' good in the Catskills after last week and tomorrow's storms....at least for a few weeks. Those two storms seemed to have saved March for us.
  • marcski said:

We are hopefully lookin' good in the Catskills after last week and tomorrow's storms....at least for a few weeks. Those two storms seemed to have saved March for us.

Love your epic Platty day w Harv report Marc, great stuff!
    How's your injured buddy?
  • Damn was I wrong!!
  • Takes a big man to admit he's wrong.   ;)
  • edited March 14
    Local radio station says highs and lows on this date,(yesterday) 3/14/12 Eighty degrees, 3/14/14 Three degrees

We get what we get

4/3/16 Four inches of fresh skiing at Nubs

No rhyme or reason, enjoy it while you got it!⛷⛷
  • podunk77 said:

Takes a big man to admit he's wrong.   ;)

I admit I'm wrong more so than not too⛷
  • I was at Blue Hills today.  The hill is in great shape and was busy due to the school closings.  They just keep plugging along.  The last few years March has shaped up to be great for them.
  • I drove by Ward Hill (Ski Ward) this noon. Full cover, nothing moving. They have plenty of snow - the area got 15 - 20 inches in the most recent storm. Worcester schools were closed today (Wednesday, March 14) so I thought they would take advantage of that. Maybe they'll be open for the weekend.
  • Ward's website says 4-8 today.  Maybe they didnt have the people available to push up their opening today?