Bousquet is for sale

edited March 2 in NELSAP Forum
Details-
Www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/bousquet-ski-area-for-sale-history-and-all,533537

Comments

• Woody, this is your chance to go full circle!⛷⛷
  • Some nice pictures on the site. On another note my old apt is in two of them. George's window Sherry Roberts is in the summit photo. I'm surprised the dog isn't in one, he's all over Facebook.
  • Only $3.2 M.  That's about $300K from each of us.... the first article is interesting. 

Roberts said she is in no hurry to make the sale, as she would like to see it in proper hands, and the plan is to continue operations until that happens.  "We're taking our time," she said. "My commitment when George left was to keep the ski area running. My hope's that it will continue as a ski area."

Back when trains came from Grand Central Station in New York City to Pittsfield, Aldrich said, the ski train brought hordes of city dwellers to Bousquet for wintertime recreation. 
  • edited March 2
    wonderful place, thought comes to mind this would be ideal for somebody like Peak, just add ziplines if they haven't yet, and they'll be all set!  

haven't been for about 10 years but as I recall the lodge is wonderful, has a great energy but at that time it needed some attention.  

at least two red flags, private sewer (do they have a wastewater treatment plant on the property, or just getting septic pumped constantly)   and unknown underground storage tank.  

wonder how many patented grippers you'd find with a metal detector?!

$3.2 doesn't seem unreasonable, heck it's less than the tax liens on the old Great Gorge Playboy Club 

• All city sewer. George kept everything in great shape. Now, I wouldn't know. Most everything in use there is many years old. Always turned a profit. It could use some more water slides for summer business. The closest water park I think is 6 Flags Agawam or Great Escape in Queensbury NY.
  • wonderful place, thought comes to mind this would be ideal for somebody like Peak, just add ziplines if they haven't yet, and they'll be all set!  

haven't been for about 10 years but as I recall the lodge is wonderful, has a great energy but at that time it needed some attention.  

at least two red flags, private sewer (do they have a wastewater treatment plant on the property, or just getting septic pumped constantly)   and unknown underground storage tank.  

$3.2 doesn't seem unreasonable, heck it's less than the tax liens on the old Great Gorge Playboy Club 

They already have the ziplines
    - Sam
  • I thought I heard that every ski area is for sale...

In any case, I hope this goes to a good buyer who keeps it running.
  • I thought I heard that every ski area is for sale...

In any case, I hope this goes to a good buyer who keeps it running.
    Agree with both points.

Woody
  • pagamony said:

Only $3.2 M.  That's about $300K from each of us.... the first article is interesting. 

Roberts said she is in no hurry to make the sale, as she would like to see it in proper hands, and the plan is to continue operations until that happens.  "We're taking our time," she said. "My commitment when George left was to keep the ski area running. My hope's that it will continue as a ski area."

Back when trains came from Grand Central Station in New York City to Pittsfield, Aldrich said, the ski train brought hordes of city dwellers to Bousquet for wintertime recreation. 
    The property is about three miles from downtown Pittsfield.  The Berkshires is a region well-known for culture, historic sites, recreation opportunities, museums, theatres, and natural heritage.  

A concern I have, alluded to by owner Sherry Roberts in the quote posted above by pagamony, is whether Bousquet's slopes would become a second-home development.  I agree with her: I truly hope Bousquet remains a ski area.

Woody

• ciscokid said:

Woody, this is your chance to go full circle!⛷⛷

8-| ;)) [-X

• [snip]

Rickbolger, in some poor-snow years, my dad said the business took in more money selling those ski tow grippers than they did selling ski tickets.

Woody
  • Love Bousquet, but have not been there since I was 23 or so.  I spent many o' night skiing an icy Lower Beeline.  

After the closing of Brodie and then Jiminy Peak growing up to be a crowded/expensive New York destination, I think this place was able to fill a great void with locals.  Low cost, no frills, but wonderful.  This is a viable business.