Western NY trip report: Day 8.5 Song 02/10/18

As we arrived at Song it was still raining a bit, luckily that stopped before I even had my boots back on.  The morning's powder was no longer quite as fluffy, still made for nice skiing.  The new chair wasn't ready, still not sure if it opened yet.  So it required a bit of a trek to get over to the steeper trails that it serves.  That did mean a lot less traffic over there, so we got to ski a bit of untracked "wet powder".  Little disappointing that we didn't get to ride the new lift.  But was a great day of skiing, I liked Song a lot.imageimage
20180210_153001.jpg
1136 x 2019 - 612K
20180210_153506.jpg
1196 x 2125 - 698K

Comments

• edited March 2
    Looks like another Riblet for Song Mountain...that would make 2!  Great pic...Otto's Folly or Jupiter?

RAH
  • edited March 2

Looks like another Riblet for Song Mountain...that would make 2!  Great pic...Otto's Folly or Jupiter?

RAH

The “new” Riblet triple is actually their third Riblet chair. It replaced the Thunderbird t-bar (RIP :(( :(( :(( ). The other Riblet triple replaced one of the tandem Hall t-bars on Bali Hai. Of course, the classic centre-pole double on the old Aquarius trail (where the alpine slide used to stand) is still there.

IBRAKE
  • IBRAKE...I stand corrected :)  I can't believe I forgot about the centerpole double.  Duh!  Used to love riding that Alpine Slide as a kid...

RAH
  • IBRAKE...I stand corrected :)  I can't believe I forgot about the centerpole double.  Duh!  Used to love riding that Alpine Slide as a kid...

RAH

I loved riding it, too, and I have the scar on my right arm to prove it!
    ;))

That being said, Song is my favourite hill in CNY. There are fantastic blue diamond runs all over the hill, a superb panorama, a view of Otisco Lake to the northwest, a great green circle cruiser called Sentimental Journey, and two of the best solid black diamond runs in CNY: Otto’s Folly and Jupiter.
  • Looks like another Riblet for Song Mountain...that would make 2!  Great pic...Otto's Folly or Jupiter?

RAH

I think that pic is from Jupiter.  Luckily there were tracks to follow leading back to the open lifts, made the return trek not bad at all.  It was nice over in that section that day.  Had the whole trail to ourselves.  Wonder if they got the chair open yet.