Western NY trip report: Day 9 Toggenburg 02/11/18

Last day of the trip.  Bought a half day ticket, it was obvious the rain was finally coming for real.  Used my Finger Lakes card again, just like Labrador they had never seen it before, but had no problem honoring it.  Was highly impressed with the adaptive program they have going there.  The had people using all types of devices and everybody seemed to be having a great time.  The skiing that day was more like spring skiing, always nice to end a trip with a warmer day.  There was a good small crowd with maybe a 1 minute wait for the main chair, was surprised when they opened the 2nd main chair.  That took care of the long wait.  The chair to the skier far right was deserted (see pic), got in some nice runs over there.  We finished the day with the girls riding the "Miles Wood" chair, he's #44 on the Devils, and for some reason that chair was painted red, thus the name.  Most chairs were bare metal, but there were a couple other painted ones which we waited for when there was no line, very exciting!!!  As we left the rain had already started and it poured pretty much the whole way home, held off just long enough for a near perfect day.  About 3.5 hour later we were finally home.  

Trip was just about perfect, could have done without the fall down the stairs, but at least it didn't cost me any skiing.  Hope you all enjoyed reports, and thanks again for all your nice comments.  And thanks to Cisco for asking me a few times if I took any pictures, got me to finally do a trip report.

imageimageimageimage
20180211_101909.jpg
1046 x 1860 - 794K
20180211_103220.jpg
1992 x 1121 - 836K
20180211_122107.jpg
1345 x 2391 - 825K
20180211_133508.jpg
1121 x 1992 - 533K

Comments

• Super duper 9 day trip which the girls will remember for a lifetime!
    Is that an abandoned lift?

Boy Ibrake4tbars has gotta be jealous as heck you in his old neighborhood!

Glad I providentially instigated this , hope we can all do HV next year, you inspired the Midwest gang to come "east" next year!
  • From a distance, I have really enjoyed these reports to a region I have not skied.  Those girls are going to be tough, good work.  Thanks !!!!
  • edited March 2
    Looks like Togg left one Hall t-bar intact; there used to be two. They no longer use it, hence the missing t’s and hangers.

If I’m right, this is the one that runs up the right side of the main slope but doesn’t crest the summit.

I was never a huge Togg fan, personally, but it’s a very well-run hill. It’s now owned by Greek Peak.

IBRAKE
  • Looks like Togg left one Hall t-bar intact; there used to be two. They no longer use it, hence the missing t’s and hangers.

If I’m right, this is the one that runs up the right side of the main slope but doesn’t crest the summit.

I was never a huge Togg fan, personally, but it’s a very well-run hill. It’s now owned by Greek Peak.

IBRAKE

Yup, that t-bar won't ever run again, it's in pretty bad shape.  There were still a number of Ts on the line, but most were missing.  The girls wanted me to pull one down so they could pretend to ride.  Got one down, but wasn't in a great position, so no luck.
  • jaytrem said:

Looks like Togg left one Hall t-bar intact; there used to be two. They no longer use it, hence the missing t’s and hangers.

IBRAKE

Yup, that t-bar won't ever run again, it's in pretty bad shape.  There were still a number of Ts on the line, but most were missing.  The girls wanted me to pull one down so they could pretend to ride.  Got one down, but wasn't in a great position, so no luck.
    I had heard that Togg didn’t love on their t-bars much. There was a base-to-summit one in the trees that ran parallel to their original double chair. I believe it was removed and it’s lift line is a trail on the map. From what I understand it was so poorly maintained that it became unusable.

Was I right in the t-bar you saw there was the off to the side of the main slope?

IBRAKE
  • jaytrem said:

Was I right in the t-bar you saw there was the off to the side of the main slope?

IBRAKE

Yes, that's the one that is still standing.  The top picture above is skiing down the "ole t-bar line", I think that's the name.
  • jaytrem said:

jaytrem said:

IBRAKE

Yes, that's the one that is still standing.  The top picture above is skiing down the "ole t-bar line", I think that's the name.
    A shame. Those lifts can run indefinitely if taken care of. You’d expect a hill to know better when it comes to maintenance of an expensive piece of machinery.

IBRAKE
  • Yup, sure enjoyed these trip reports! It's amazing what 6-year-olds aren't afraid to ski.