Mountains with the greatest percentage of narrow trails

edited March 4 in NELSAP Forum
Let's start a list of mountains with the greatest percentage of narrow trails. I'll leave it up to you on what is considered a narrow trail or not.

Black Mountain in NH comes to mind - most of the trails are narrow, with one large semi-contiguous slope down the middle. Asside from this wide slope, there are no other real trails that would be considered wide open cruisers, which makes Black quite unique.

What are some others?

Comments

• Plattekill has a good amount of narrow trails
  • The first thing that comes to mind for me is also Black, NH. I can't think of any other area with as high a percentage of narrow trails.
    - Sam
  • Maybe Big Rock, ME
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • I agree that Black NH could easily be the mountain with the greatest percentage of narrow trails. Not only does Black have a high percentage, but also many are especially narrow.

For larger mountains, MRG easily comes to mind. They have a few wider trails like Canyon, Cat Bowl, and Slalom Hill. But definitely more narrow trails than average. Smuggs is also a good candidate. As is Magic. All of these definitely have more wider trails as a percentage than Black NH.
  • Black also is unique in that there are only narrow trails and glades from the summit.
  • riverc0il said:

I agree that Black NH could easily be the mountain with the greatest percentage of narrow trails. Not only does Black have a high percentage, but also many are especially narrow.

For larger mountains, MRG easily comes to mind. They have a few wider trails like Canyon, Cat Bowl, and Slalom Hill. But definitely more narrow trails than average. Smuggs is also a good candidate. As is Magic. All of these definitely have more wider trails as a percentage than Black NH.
    Intuitively, I too would have thought MRG, but in addition to the runs suggested by riverc0il, other wide options at MRG include, Chute, much of the Practice Hill, and a few others off the double.  I would suggest that in the modern  snowmaking erea, trails have been widened.  The only major area/pod that I think has extensive narrow trails are Black Mtn.(NH) and Mittersill.
  • I can't hold back with Bobcat NYLSAP and maybe Hickory?
  • How narrow is narrow?
  • For the definition of narrow, none of us will likely agree - but I think we all "know it when we see it".
  • newman said:

I can't hold back with Bobcat NYLSAP and maybe Hickory?

Agreed on HIckory, as well as MRG. Very few wide trails at either.
  • newman said:

I can't hold back with Bobcat NYLSAP and maybe Hickory?

Agreed on HIckory, as well as MRG. Very few wide trails at either.
    Again: Areas with minimal or no snowmaking.  Trails have to be narrow to hold the snow.
  • Granite Gorge has a number of narrower trails. Most aren't super narrow, but there are only a couple which would be considered wide.
    - Sam
  • Balsam's Wilderness
  • It's been a while but my recollection is Tenney had a bunch of narrow old timey trails.  percentage not as high as Black Mt

• Magic, by the looks of it. Only exception is Black Line

There are many wide trails there such as Black Line, Sorcerer, Talisman, Magician, Hocus Pocus, Lower Red Line, Wand, Vertigo, Trick, Up Your Sleeve, and others.
    - Sam

There are many wide trails there such as Black Line, Sorcerer, Talisman, Magician, Hocus Pocus, Lower Red Line, Wand, Vertigo, Trick, Up Your Sleeve, and others.
    ok. pics on TR today look pretty narrow
  • edited March 5
    Magic is not overly narrow. That heavy southern VT snow dropped the tree limbs, definitely looks narrower than normal.
  • newpylong said:

Magic is not overly narrow. That heavy southern VT snow dropped the tree limbs, definitely looks narrower than normal.

Agree, majority of trails are average to wide

• For Magic, Red Line, Broomstick, and Wizard are all pretty narrow. Broomstick might actually be one of the narrowest and steepest natural snow trails in New England (excluding glades). Wand and Sorcerer narrower than average. Mid to Lower Black Line and Talisman are really wide. Magic Carpet is generally wide. I'd rate Magic has much narrower than average overall.

I like the call out for Tenney, lots of narrow trails at Tenney.