Magic Mountain 3/4/2018

It looks like winter again at Magic Mountain. They picked up over a foot from the last storm and it snowed throughout the day. Temperatures were in the 20s and 30s and the summit was in and out of dense cloud. Cover was thin on many trails because there was very little base beneath the new snow, so it was not a day for using your good skis. The snow was excellent packed powder and leftover wet powder. Crowds were light and there usually wasn't a wait longer than a couple of chair on the Red Chair. The Black Chair did not operate, but evacuation training was taking place on it. Many trails had excellent moguls and the majority of my day was spent on these. Some trails, such as Red Line and Green Line, had very thin cover and after a run on each I was done with them for the day. The best run was likely staying as far skier's right as possible on the ungroomed blue squares. There was good cover and wel-spaced soft bumps. It was thee best day in a while and I hope this isn't the last I see of winter.

Black LineimageBase AreaimageStalled Construction on Green ChairimageRed ChairimageRed ChairimageRed ChairimageWhite OutimageVertigoimageWizardimageRed ChairimageRed Chair and Red LineimageGreen ChairimageGoniff GladeimageBlack Chair and Black LineimageBlack Chair and Black LineimageBlack Chair and Black Lineimage
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 478K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 455K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 439K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 475K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 592K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 563K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 520K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 607K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 597K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 524K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 563K
image.jpeg
1536 x 2048 - 526K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 518K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 527K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 557K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 439K
- Sam

Comments

• Sweet , sweet , magical!

Trip reporter of the year!
  • Nice report and pics. I was there Saturday. The crowds were a little heavier but the Red Chair was about 5 minutes worse case. The Black Chair ran for a while but then stopped. Even with the B Lot full the lodge and the trails were never crowded. Glad to see them doing well. They needed a weekend like this.
  • edited March 5
    I was up there yesterday as well, second best day of the season for me. Groomer at opening bell was excellent

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• Really want to get there...
  • sugarloaf said:

I was up there yesterday as well, second best day of the season for me. Groomer at opening bell was excellent

Agreed, I was on one of the first chairs and did a great first run down groomed trails.
    - Sam
  • Saturday was really sweet. Best day I've had since December. New snow was heavy but not nearly as dense as I had expected and the first few runs of untracked were very nice. I am sure the snow has settled and consolidated since then.
  • riverc0il said:

Saturday was really sweet. Best day I've had since December. New snow was heavy but not nearly as dense as I had expected and the first few runs of untracked were very nice. I am sure the snow has settled and consolidated since then.

Yes, it was! Night and day difference from when I was there Thursday (6 ways down+ dirt everywhere else), then Saturday came, and everything was game on.  My girls and I lapped Twilight Zone multiple times and never hit bare ground. Good times!
    D