LONGEST ski ROAD TRIPS in MILES( DRIVING)

Estimate your longest in driving miles ski road trip. Has to be continuous from home and back. No fly in road trips. Can be multiple days or weeks as long as you drove. ( no bus , train , jet, etc)

I don't know if I'll get the UP road trip done but that's what made me think of it for a thread. Along with strong possibility of going to Holliday Valley NY next year.

I guess 362( documented door to door) round trip to Nubs and back is my longest unless I can recall longer.

I would say Jim Kenney leads the pack

Comments

• My day trip to Caberfae is 438 miles round trip and almost 7 hours of driving
  • edited March 6
    I think we did this thread before.? We drove to Steamboat CO and back from North of Hartford CT. Drove non stop to Laramie to pick someone up. IIRC 26 hours.
    More recently we drove to Fort Kent, ME Lonesome Pine but that's only 7.5 hours and was like a 1300 miles for a week of skiing
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Cos Cob, CT to Stowe and back in 2 days. It was about 680 miles round trip with a side trip to Mount Snow on the first day. I skied Snow on the first day, which made it work. After that I drove up to West Lebanon, NH where I stayed, then on to Stowe the next morning. The 300-mile solo drive home on Sunday wasn't bad, invigorated from skiing. That was 5 years ago, I may be getting a bit old for that now.
  • edited March 7
    I did a day trip (overnight stay but within 24 hours) to Sugarloaf on May 1st, 2015. It's 625 miles round trip from Enfield.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• edited March 7
    Left at 4am. Drove 250 miles to ski Upper Cascade with every gun blazing. Left about 4 to do the return 250. Got home around 1130 pm because I stopped for a nap on rt 7 near Bennington. I drove 500 miles in one day to ski a half mile run. Oh to be young.
  • newman said:

Left at 4am. Drove 250 miles to ski Upper Cascade with every gun blazing. Left about 4 to do the return 250. Got home around 1130 pm because I stopped for a nap on rt 7 near Bennington. I drove 500 miles in one day to ski a half mile run. Oh to be young.

That's insane, No wonder the cops took you away, lol⛷⛷
  • sugarloaf said:

I did a day trip (overnight stay but within 24 hours) to Sugarloaf on May 1st, 2015. It's 625 miles round trip from Enfield.

Even more nuts!⛷⛷
  • Good question, luckily it was recent.  Last year went from NJ to Quebec, furthest point was Do-Mi-Ski.  Was well over 2000 miles, I think closer to 3000.  Managed to hit 21 ski areas, so there was a lot of extra driving between places.  Come to think of it, 21 might be my personal best for # of ski areas on a trip.

Honorable mention,  bought my 4runner on ebay about 15 years ago from a guy in California.  Put over 4000 miles on the way home and stopped at Mammoth for a couple days on the way.  Truck is still running great with 346,000 and counting!!!

Not sure what my longest fly-drive-fly trip was.  Definitely had some long ones, but I think the Quebec trip might beat them all in mileage.

• We got some serious drivers, I mean skiers here!
  • For me a few long drives:

Day trip  Southern NH to Whiteface at about 500 (RT)miles including going into Lake Placid for a bit.
    Metro West Boston, when I lived there in the 90's, to Sugarloaf at 482 (RT) Multiple times

For an overnight, Metro West Boston to Tremblant at 802 (RT)

Also, drove from Las Vegas to Park City, by way of Brian Head and Eagle point, and back via Alta and Bryce Canyon.  Must of been a bit over 1000 miles, but involved flying MHT-LAS.  Knocked off a lot of the Utah areas on that one.

• To date my longest trip is to Sugarloaf 374 miles round trip.

Later this month we travel to Holiday Valley, 930 miles RT.
  • The longest round trips were from the Webster-Dudley area (twin towns on the Mass.-Conn. border south of Worcester) to Sugarloaf. I'm guessing it's about 600 miles round trip, broken up by two days of skiing. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, before many of the Interstate highways were built it was tougher. I remember trips to Stowe would take almost five hours over two-lane roads.
    I guess the toughest trip was to  spend the night in North Conway, get up early and hike into Tuckerman Ravine, ski all day, hike out and drive more than 200 miles back home, then get up the next morning in time to be at work at the Worcester Telegram & Gazette by 7 a.m. That was back in the '60s and '70 when I was a lot younger and, now that I write that, evidently a lot dumber.

• 630 miles round trip to Sugarloaf back in 2010 (7 hours each way)- and a majority of it was not on highways, including long stretches of lonely, potholed and frost heaved roads. We enjoyed Sugarloaf, but it's unlikely I'll make that trip anytime soon.
  • As I get older the less I want to drive.  6 hrs (NNJ to Loon) is about the extent of my tolerance these days.  Beyond that it makes more sense to go down to Newark Airport and catch a flight to Denver to see the boy.  It's pretty much why the Maine resorts are off of my radar now.  It's also part of the reason Ikon works for me as having the 1 Boyne area is fine with me. 

For our western trip this year, we are going to drive Denver to Steamboat then on to Salt Lake and then back to Colorado but it is for vacation not just a weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ 
  • Back in the late '70's, drove from WNC to summit county, CO and back, about 3,500 miles. I've also been from NC/TN to New England several times, so I know I-81 too well. Getting ready to go from my home in ETN to northern NH and then onto Sugarbush at the end of the month.  
  • edited March 8
    414miles RT from Randolph, VT to Sugarloaf with my friends in a Ford Taurus wagon back in 1998. So worth it, so much fun!
  • 650 miles.  North Reading, MA to Arlington, MA (to grab a friend that likes to drive) to Whiteface in NY for a long weekend.
  • I just knew Skipro had me beat. ...from old thread..
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited March 8
    I just remembered the day trip I did to Sunday River on October 14th, 2009. This was when I lived in Coventry, so it was 520 miles round trip. This was without an overnight stay.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• After graduating from URI a group of friends who now lived somewhere between Rhode Island and Chicago decided to go on a ski trip together.  As recent college graduates we had little to no money so we decided to "meet in the middle" and we all drive to Seven Springs, Pennsylvania from our respective locations for a weekend ski trip.  I was traveling from Narragansett, RI and according to Google Maps the distance was 521 miles each way.  It was a very memorable trip and sadly it was the last time that I saw about half of those people.
  • Ski pro, his comment reminded me actually of my first trip to Colorado to ski I was there earlier how my honeymoon back in 1982 but the 1994 of March the whole family drove in a Dodge Spirit rental but my brother-in-law in Kansas City went on to Denver skied Keystone and Breckenridge and three years later the family drove again did the same thing and skied Loveland copper so I guess we put on at least 2000 miles round-trip each time thanks for jogging my memory ski pro
  • What am I? Sliced bread?
  • We got some serious drivers, I mean skiers here!
    Both, ciscokid!

Light snow continues to fall here in St.-Ferreol-les-Neiges, Quebec.  There's a through-the-trees view of Mont-Ste.-Anne ski area from the living room.  Today is my group's last day in the region, and we're heading to Le Massif.

We're 800 miles from our homes in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley.  My group met up with NELSAP at West Mountain NY en route and skied with him last Sunday morning.  We'll check out Bousquet on the way back to the Old Dominion State.  Ski-related mileage will come to about 2,000 miles.  That's short of last year's 2200-mile trip to the same area, with a return via the Adirondacks to join trackbiker, rickbolger, jmaul, and other friends for a day skiing Gore Mountain.

So I guess my longest ski road trip would be last year's 2200-miler.  The things we do to ski...

Woody
  • ski_it said:

What am I? Sliced bread?

No your the one we love and adore your guessing pics( easy ones are hard enough)and trips to little areas

Woody you let the cat out , pics and reports please especially Massif

• ciscokid said:

Ski pro, his comment reminded me actually of my first trip to Colorado to ski I was there earlier how my honeymoon back in 1982 but the 1994 of March the whole family drove in a Dodge Spirit rental but my brother-in-law in Kansas City went on to Denver skied Keystone and Breckenridge and three years later the family drove again did the same thing and skied Loveland copper so I guess we put on at least 2000 miles round-trip each time thanks for jogging my memory ski pro

I said that would be the first and only time I would drive to CO. That trip just about killed me, LOL.  My future wife and I were in a little Dodge Omni, 4 cyclinder, no cruise, and packed with so much stuff that you couldn't put the seat back to doze.  Good thing I was in my early 20's.
  • edited March 14
    ciscokid said:

ski_it said:

What am I? Sliced bread?

No what I meant was Enfield, CT to Laramie, WY to Winter Park, CO to Steamboat, CO is 2140 miles, plus the return; I make it to 4170 miles total. Boo-yah!!!!  But we had multiple drivers. 
  • ski_it said:

ciscokid said:

ski_it said:

What am I? Sliced bread?

No your the one we love and adore your guessing pics( easy ones are hard enough)and trips to little areas

No what I meant was Enfield, CT to Laramie, WY to Winter Park, CO to Steamboat, CO is 2140 miles, plus the return; I make it to 4170 miles total. But we had multiple drivers.
    Do you still live in Enfield?

• sugarloaf said:

ski_it said:

ciscokid said:

ski_it said:

What am I? Sliced bread?

No what I meant was Enfield, CT to Laramie, WY to Winter Park, CO to Steamboat, CO is 2140 miles, plus the return; I make it to 4170 miles total. But we had multiple drivers.
    Do you still live in Enfield?
    Hell NO!! Just kidding. Never lived there, just used it as ref. I'm from across the mighty river...near the airport.
  • Do you live in the middle of a former tobacco field in Granby or Windsor or Suffield? They still grow some under shade there, as I'm sure you know, but not anywhere near as much as they did 60 years ago and more.Some of the prettiest homes in that area were built with tobacco money.
  • I did Flagstaff, AZ to Mammoth mountain last August for closing day. About a 9 hour drive and 560 miles each way.