LONGEST ski ROAD TRIPS in MILES( DRIVING)

2»

Comments

• Bill29 said:

Do you live in the middle of a former tobacco field in Granby or Windsor or Suffield? They still grow some under shade there, as I'm sure you know, but not anywhere near as much as they did 60 years ago and more.Some of the prettiest homes in that area were built with tobacco money.

Yep...and cows
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Ski it won't even tell me his real first name that's about as Anonymous as it can get
    Bill I think they call that wacky to Bacci nowadays
  • edited March 14
    Bill29 said:

Do you live in the middle of a former tobacco field in Granby or Windsor or Suffield? They still grow some under shade there, as I'm sure you know, but not anywhere near as much as they did 60 years ago and more.Some of the prettiest homes in that area were built with tobacco money.

Had family in Simsbury back in the day, remember as a kid late 1960s/early 70s the tobacco fields seemed to stretch on forever.  

A few years back my dad married a woman in Kentucky, so then I had family in the tobacco growing business.  They said "there's no money in it anymore" so they no longer grow it; rent the land to cattle people or something like that.  

As I understand the CT leaf was prized as an outer wrapper, which I assume translates to higher $$ and probably more  viable, would could explain why some is still grown there despite high real estate values. 

My longest ski road trip this year was 1090 miles roundtrip, Sugarloaf and a few others.

• Approximately 1400 miles
    NYC to Burke
    Burke to Quebec City
    Quebec City to Le Massif
    Quebec City to Mont St Anne
    Quebec City to Ile d'Orleans
    Quebec City back to NYC
  • Approximately 1400 miles
    NYC to Burke
    Burke to Quebec City
    Quebec City to Le Massif
    Quebec City back to NYC

Sounds like a great trip
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited March 15
    3,000 miles January 14 to January 28, 2017. 14 total travel days all by car, 11 skiing days. Mountain Collective Road trip. Started and ended in Telluride, CO. Hit Jackson, Big Sky, Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Red Mountain, Sun Valley, back to Telluride. Amazing trip but don't need to repeat anytime soon at that pace!
  • ski_it said:

ski_it said:

Approximately 1400 miles
    NYC to Burke
    Burke to Quebec City
    Quebec City to Le Massif
    Quebec City back to NYC

Sounds like a great trip
    It was.
    The right mix of skiing, culture, and awesome food. We also stayed at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City. Everybody should stay there at least once.
  • 3,000 miles January 14 to January 28, 2017. 14 total travel days all by car, 11 skiing days. Mountain Collective Road trip. Started and ended in we Telluride, CO. Hit Jackson, Big Sky, Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Red Mountain, Sun Valley, back to Telluride. Amazing trip but don't need to repeat anytime soon at that pace!

Holy Moly!!!! I think we must have a winner.
  • edited March 15

Bill29 said:

Had family in Simsbury back in the day, remember as a kid late 1960s/early 70s the tobacco fields seemed to stretch on forever.  

A few years back my dad married a woman in Kentucky, so then I had family in the tobacco growing business.  They said "there's no money in it anymore" so they no longer grow it; rent the land to cattle people or something like that.  

As I understand the CT leaf was prized as an outer wrapper, which I assume translates to higher $$ and probably more  viable, would could explain why some is still grown there despite high real estate values.wu 

My longest ski road trip this year was 1090 miles roundtrip, Sugarloaf and a few others.
    CT Yankee hijack. The CT leaf made a comeback a few years ago, in much smaller quantities. I never worked there but I knew plenty of kids who did. It didn't sound like fun.
    My father had an office in Simsbury and I played semi pro soccer there (mainly on the bench) so I know the area pretty well.
  • teighs said:

To date my longest trip is to Sugarloaf 374 miles round trip.

Later this month we travel to Holiday Valley, 930 miles RT.

Junior Seminar at the Valley? 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • 1200 miles round trip-- Buffalo to Sugarloaf in 1983 for a Junior Patrol Seminar. I think we did it in one hop. The next year was Pico and we did it in two hops, with a stay at West Mountain. Then, Silver Creek, WV--- around 900 round trip. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • 3,000 miles January 14 to January 28, 2017. 14 total travel days all by car, 11 skiing days. Mountain Collective Road trip. Started and ended in Telluride, CO. Hit Jackson, Big Sky, Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Red Mountain, Sun Valley, back to Telluride. Amazing trip but don't need to repeat anytime soon at that pace!

• In 1973 four of us drove 13 1/2 hrs. from Scranton, PA to Sugarloaf. We arrived 1/2 hrs. before the lifts opened. At least that's my memory. Now that was the start of several days, Loaf, Saddleback, Jay Peak, Killington and Mt. Snow. We did the first hour of free skiing at Killington. We didn't like the conditions, so we drove to Mt. Snow. We ended up skiing the afternoon there in the rain! Yes, to be young, that was college days.
  • bmwskier said:

teighs said:

Yes, but they are called Young Adult Patrollers now.  My daughter took 1st place in skiing and 4th overall.
  • TomWhite said:

In 1973 four of us drove 13 1/2 hrs. from Scranton, PA to Sugarloaf. We arrived 1/2 hrs. before the lifts opened. At least that's my memory. Now that was the start of several days, Loaf, Saddleback, Jay Peak, Killington and Mt. Snow. We did the first hour of free skiing at Killington. We didn't like the conditions, so we drove to Mt. Snow. We ended up skiing the afternoon there in the rain! Yes, to be young, that was college days.

Google maps say 540 mi. It those days it was probably longer.
  • My recent Okemo - Stowe - Northeast Slopes weekend was 1,000 miles total.

The weekend before that (Mt Snow - Pico) was around 800 miles.

You do what you have to to ski.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • teighs said:

bmwskier said:

teighs said:

Yes, but they are called Young Adult Patrollers now.  My daughter took 1st place in skiing and 4th overall.
    Congratulations! Where did you stay? We didn't send anyone from Sugarbush as our YAP's aren't registered (we're working on that) and we just had a leadership of program transition-- but it is in good hands. Where did they do the sledding and FA? Denice Kaus, Joe Probst and Kristen Marx-Russo are childhood friends and I think they had something to do with it. 
    Greg Stump