Hunter 3/6 3/7 3/8/2018

edited March 9 in Trip Reports
A picture is worth ....image
IMG_6907.JPG
1632 x 1224 - 856K
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

• Hunter?
  • Hmm a floating Poma Heron bull
    Rusted looking or just brown paint,Tuxedo Ridge Sterling Forest?
  • That could be Holiday Mt. They have two floating bullwheel Poma chairs.
  • Looks like it could be Hunter One H Lift.
  • Agree w Ibrake4tbars, logistically on way back from JFBB going up to Monticello but I'm gonna stick w Tuxedo taking the scenic route up 94 past VVGG(MC) to Warwick Mt Peter, TRidge and eastward home to NH
  • ciscokid said:

Agree w Ibrake4tbars, logistically on way back from JFBB going up to Monticello but I'm gonna stick w Tuxedo taking the scenic route up 94 past VVGG(MC) to Warwick Mt Peter, TRidge and eastward home to NH

I don't remember green chairs at Sterling Forest/TR. I remember orange and blue towers and chairs.
  • edited March 7
    Sterling Forest Tuxedo Ridge is Nyselp isn't it?
  • Yea ibrake could be right but Holiday is open , this pic looks lost ish , ski_it has always been deceptive, logic says right off the highway rt 17 Monticello, park at lodge and hike up. When Njskibabe and I hiked TRidge a few yrs back there were no trespassing signs all over so I'm guessing Holiday with Ibrake4tbars

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6234905,-74.6103596,16z/data=!3m1!1e3
  • newman said:

Sterling Forest Tuxedo Ridge is Nyselp isn't it?

Yes but not too long

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuxedo_Ridge_Ski_Center
  • No question Obie
    It's a Poma of course
    IMG_6909.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 986K
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited March 7
    49 of 58 trails, 6 of 12 lifts 30" new in last 7 days, 1600 vertical, sunny 30-35 degrees, packed powder and ski onto the lifts. Best conditions I've hit this season which isn't saying much. I'm sure it was so much better Sunday and Monday.
    The drive up through the Delaware Water Gap took longer than expected. Power and traffic lights out for miles 4 plus days after the storm. Wires down. Dozens & dozens of utility trucks. Roads shutdown, detours onto impassable roads.imageimageimage
    IMG_6901.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 776K
    IMG_6902.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 858K
    IMG_6911.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 958K
  • Not going this way image
    IMG_9877.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 919K
  • Duh I am such a dinglefritz. Joshua had been talking about Huntah (peak pass)and so was I .

Is that k27?
  • Top two look like Milky Way and the last one looks like Cliff
  • You nailed them both Newman. A solid snow fence on one side, a cliff on the other and big bumps in the middle. What could go wrong?
  • It was tough because although I've  skied Hunter 25-30 times, I never go over to Hunter One which is the beginner area.
  • Sweet looking bumps.  Should be all over the place after this next storm.  I hope they stick around through April.

BTW I heading west tomorrow, so you can thank me for this sudden resurgence, as my timing has been anything but bad this year.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • edited March 7
    1-2" last night at Hunter. Maybe another 1" by noon. Snowing hard now. It warmed up yesterday then froze so the moguls and underneath are hard. Some nice areas powder on the protected trails that aren't too wind scoured. Headed back out to do battle.

They waste so much snow and resources on thisimage
    IMG_6919.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 460K
  • We were there on Monday. Nicest bump I've ever seen there. At Jack Frost today, it's dumping. 6 to 8 I'd say so far.
  • ski_it said:

1-2" last night at Hunter. Maybe another 1" by noon. Snowing hard now. It warmed up yesterday then froze so the moguls and underneath are hard. Some nice areas powder on the protected trails that aren't too wind scoured. Headed back out to do battle.

They waste so much snow and resources on thisimage

I have always wondered if the expense of the park at any area is worth it. Between snowmaking and grooming, not to mention constructing the non-snow pieces of equipment (rails, etc) and staff, it seems like a ton of dough. Curious if they sell that many more tickets or passes or french fries to cover those costs.
  • It's still cheaper than a big half-pipe. It sells French fries for sure.
  • edited March 7
    Your average Joe can slide down the middle of a half pipe but they will DIE on that montrousity.
    Its for a Sam Adams Air and Après Event on 3/10 at night for 45 minutes

https://www.huntermtn.com/event/sam-adams-big-air/
  • edited March 7
    So we ended up with 6". After lunch we headed over to West Hunter. The additional snow made a big difference in the bumps. Ended the day on K27. the lower section had huge bumps which I skied like crap. There were some great skiers out in the afternoon who shot right down it. But I made it wire to wire today which I can't remember the last time that happened.

I'm supposed to tell you it sucked today. It was poor visibility, snow in your face all day, Untracked 2" at first gun. Big piles of fluff the rest of the day. 6" by days end. Really horrible, don't come here.
  • Was it still dumping when you left?
  • What's all the white colored apparatus in the back left of this pic?( of course I like your white pic better)

Incidentally my sister has been out of power since Friday in Milford Pa and is holed up in a condo at Tanglewood at Lk Walenpaupackimage
    IMG_4039.JPG
    751 x 1000 - 203K
  • marcski said:

Was it still dumping when you left?

Snowed until around 6pm

• ciscokid said:

What's all the white colored apparatus in the back left of this pic?( of course I like your white pic better)

Incidentally my sister has been out of power since Friday in Milford Pa and is holed up in a condo at Tanglewood at Lk Walenpaupackimage

Those white tanks looks like diesel fuel tanks for the groomers.
  • DJ is correct. They were fueling 2 payloaders before the storm while I was there.
    The trail count still at 49 because they are not opening upper Hunter One fed by a chair and an upper platter Poma according to the map. Couple black and blues up there.
  • edited March 9
    See below
  • edited March 9
    3/8/2018 Thursday 51 of 58 trails, 6 of 12 lifts 8" storm total mostly cloudy 29-35 degrees, couple flakes early, powder packed powder and mostly ski onto the lifts. Okay these were the Best conditions I've hit this season. A short wait at the Flyer in the AM otherwise ski on. Some deeper snow in the woods up top. You could find some untracked if you looked for it. First run I was skiing off the left side of the trail right under the chair stomping some powder straight down the fall line when I decided to do a forward somersault. Got a couple 10.0s from the chairs. Good thing the snow was soft and deep and my binding released.
    Many people showing up today were disappointed that they only picked up 8" when they asked me how much snow fell. The forecasts all said we were in bullseye but it shifted east and north. Oh well c'est la ski.
    Now Hunter did something smart that Big Boulder didn't do. I'd call it laziness on the part of BB. They fenced off the big air kicker and opened the park run & Nastar top to bottom.
    Although a short run, the powder remained for a while in there so we rode the B chair to make good use of it.