Retro Maine Weekend Black of Me and Mt abram

Last weekend was my one trip north this winter and we made it a retro Maine trip. Black mtn of ME was good, but only 4 runs open top to bottom. Ducked the ropes on others and had fun but was good reasons that they were closed. For a $20 lift ticket, we had a good time. SR was socked in with fog and frz rain in the am so we gladly ditched their $105 friday pass rate.  Sat went to Mt Abram.  Was pleasantly surprised at the coverage and grooming of the 4 snowmaking ways down the mtn, and the natural trails(including the t-bar line) were nice after they softened up(yes, another few ropes were ducked).  

Both mountains should be great after the Wed/Thurs dump.  Black is open Fri-Sun, Mt Abram is open Thurs-Sun. You will never have a lift wait at Black unless there is a local race and only an occasional wait at Mt Abram.  Support these great smaller mountains!!! When the glades are in like they may be after this storm, both mountains can be a really fun playground!!

Comments

• Agree.  BMOM may well be the model for the path forward as the ski industry continues to shrink and operating mountains such as BMOM, Camden, Titcomb and a few others; are now operating as not-for-profit corporations underwritten by charitable donations, local businesses and even governments.
  • Do you have any pics?
  • A few pics from BMOM this weekend.
    Should be outstanding skiing this weekend with 12-18" predicted for Rumford. Freshies on Friday for only $20, with all 25+ glades open. Saturday is Winterfest, tickets only $35, includes tubing.
    Be there.
    Screenshot_20180307-120424.jpg
    1072 x 1229 - 737K
    Screenshot_20180307-120317.jpg
    896 x 586 - 382K
  • edited March 8
    Gotta get back to Abram sometime soon, really like that mountain. Great for ME powder days when the bigger areas have huge lines. I wonder if Saddleback being closed has helped Abram and Black as alternatives to SR and SL for Portland area skiers?
  • riverc0il said:

Gotta get back to Abram sometime soon, really like that mountain. Great for ME powder days when the bigger areas have huge lines. I wonder if Saddleback being closed has helped Abram and Black as alternatives to SR and SL for Portland area skiers?

My understanding is that both benefited from the loss of Saddleback.  Some even went to the Loaf, but my sources tell me that BMOM was "the big winner".