How many floating bullwheel chairlifts did Poma build?

edited March 7 in NELSAP Forum
Aside from the ones we’ve discussed I know Killington had a few: two on Snowshed and one on Snowdon.

How many do you think there were and when did they first start appearing? Curious why Poma adopted such an interesting design for these lifts.

IBRAKE

Comments

• Aside from the ones we’ve discussed I know Killington had a few: two on Snowshed and one on Snowdon.

How many do you think there were and when did they first start appearing? Curious why Poma adopted such an interesting design for these lifts.

IBRAKE

I'd think they use less material and require less earthwork to install? Not a lot of parts or concrete.

Just a "flying" guess...
  • There's one at Otis Ridge
    - Sam
  • edited March 7
    Two 1971 installs here, one at nubs obviously and the other at timber Ridge. And I guess one at Hunter, tux Cito Ridge, and holiday Monticello New York
    Cannot tell you were all the other ones are
  • I think Bolton had one
  • I think Tuxedo Ridge/SF has 2- Tiger (looker's right) and Bowl (far looker's left)
  • I'll tack on an additional question. They obviously started building them for some reason, why'd they stop building them? Was there a design flaw uncovered? Were they less economical to operate/maintain for some reason?
  • Not to switch lifts but the Hall gothic cathedral had only a handful built. If I recall correctly Russ had a letter from Victor Hall with the reason it was discontinued. Some kind of safety issue but don't hold me to it.

That Teardrop Poma is rare and not bad looking either
  • I'm just guessing, but they were generally built before the modern bullwheel unloading.  With old fixed grip lifts, the ramp would be in one place, and the chair would continue past the unload point to the bullwheel.