Whaleback Mountain - 3/8/18

Date(s) Skied: 3/8/18 (night)

Resort or Ski Area: Whaleback Mountain, NH

Conditions: Powder, powder everywhere.

Trip Report: So. I've night skied before, I've powder skied before, I don't think I've ever powder skied at night before. I'd also never been to Whaleback before.

The mountain itself is a nice little hill. No flat runout at the base (a major plus in my book), a double chair and a tbar, straightforward layout with the easy runs on the outside, more difficult as you get closer to the liftline.

The snow was shin deep everywhere, and if you hit the nearly untracked areas there were spots deeper than my knees. I can't imagine they had a lot of base before this, but this snow set up well enough that there wasn't a rock or bare patch to be seen (or felt), at least on any of the runs they have lit up for night. Worry free enjoyment of the powder.

When I arrived at 4:30PM, the parking lot was full. When I left at 8PM, the parking lot was still nearly full, seemed like a good business day for the hill, but I never waited more than 30 seconds to board the lift.

Run of the evening for me was Spout to Bougainvillea. Enough pitch to be able to blast through the snow and very few people on it. Face was also very nice, but I'd already had a long day and it was burning up my legs too much to hit more than a couple times.

And it's hard to beat a $30 (window rate) lift ticket. I think I'll be back in the future, now that I'm located in the area.

Comments

• Thanks for the report
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Good stuff, hoping to get my first day there in a couple weeks.
  • So glad they got a nice dose of fresh snow to stretch out their season some more!
  • Yesterday was an amazing day at the Whale. But get your runs in now, nothing is set in stone but next weekend may be it. The mountain typically closes well before the snow is gone because people stop coming - passholders and general alike. 2014 and 2015 closed with 100% coverage and you could count the customers on one hand. Perhaps this year will be different. I hope it is.
  • I'm shooting for the Sunday the 25th. With all this snow a bonus weekend is in order for sure!!!
  • Glad to hear that they seem to be doing well!
  • jaytrem said:

I'm shooting for the Sunday the 25th. With all this snow a bonus weekend is in order for sure!!!

You can be pretty certain they will close by the unfortunately.

Great report, by the way!
    - Sam
  • edited March 15
    Snow (looks good) and traffic (always the wild card) conditions permitting, WB will be open that weekend.
  • Awesome, I'll good for 3 tickets unless the weather is completely horrible.  Might hit Quechee in the morning, Whaleback in the afternoon (6 year olds can ski free at Quechee).
  • How were the "crowds" today?  Any chance of next weekend?  Thanks.
  • Yes open Thur PM, Fri PM, Sat, Sun next week. Will stay open as long as the people keep coming and the snow is good. The week's weather looks conducive to keeping most if not all terrain open too.
  • newpylong said:

Yes open Thur PM, Fri PM, Sat, Sun next week. Will stay open as long as the people keep coming and the snow is good. The week's weather looks conducive to keeping most if not all terrain open too.

Awesome, can't wait, thanks again!!!  Tempted to do a full day there, but it's the last chance for the girls to ski free at Quechee.