Stratton To Replace Snow Bowl Lift

Blog Article

Wonder if they'll run it more.
You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....

Comments

• What?! No bubble and heated seats?!
    Those Strattonites are expected to be slumming it behind Mt Snow, Okemo, and now Killington? I think not! I bet there will be revolt by the regulars to get a bubble on that lift!
    ;)
  • Never knew of the summer time hold on construction projects on the mountain. It'll definitely make it a tighter deadline, but I've seen/heard of other projects of similar scale with even tighter deadlines.
  • A welcome addition. Snow Bowl is a long ride. Saturday morning it had a 5+ min wait too.

Now just add a conveyor load triple to service Kidderbrook. 
  • I would think it's a weekend lift. I find it hard to believe areas can build hs lifts for limited use, but Flatten sure did with Shooting Star already.
  • If you read the comments on the Stratton FB page about the announcement, there are tons of people complaining, which I just don't get.

Stratton is a luxury type mountain. Improving that lift to a high speed fits with their business model and clientele. It will make that side of the mountain all that more enjoyable to ski, without having to either take 2 lifts back up, or take off your skis and wait in the gondola line. The new lift will be more wind resistant too, lower to the ground.

It is interesting that they are not stating exactly what kind of lift it will be - HSQ? HS6? Bubble? Unless I missed it...
  • Is it on same foot print as old one. I like idea but not enough to pay another 20 in lift ticket fees Stratton already had best lift system in east this would cement it I guess
  • NELSAP said:

If you read the comments on the Stratton FB page about the announcement, there are tons of people complaining, which I just don't get.

Stratton is a luxury type mountain. Improving that lift to a high speed fits with their business model and clientele. It will make that side of the mountain all that more enjoyable to ski, without having to either take 2 lifts back up, or take off your skis and wait in the gondola line. The new lift will be more wind resistant too, lower to the ground.

It is interesting that they are not stating exactly what kind of lift it will be - HSQ? HS6? Bubble? Unless I missed it...

I forgot where I read it, but it apparently will be a HSQ with no bubble....

Figured one of these years Stratton would finally get with the times and get a HSQ  ;) ;) ;)   Since if you do think about it, Stratton is literally the only "major" VT ski resort without a HSQ.... 
  • Cut sheet attached states it'll be a HSQ, no bubble. Deluxe seat pads and back pads.

With them erecting a parking rail at the bottom terminal (presumably covered), my guess it'll run weekends and Holidays only or they would have gone bubble.
    pdf
    pdf
    Stratton Dopp Cut Shees.pdf
  • Parking rail?
  • skizilla said:

Parking rail?

To store the chairs off the rope
  • skizilla said:

Parking rail?

Chair storage off the haul rope. 

Some examples; Okemo's HS Six and Mt Snow's HS Six have the rails in barns. Jackson Gore HSQ has an extrnal rail. 

See attachments.
    pdf
    pdf
    014 Bottom Terminal Grading Plan.pdf
    pdf
    pdf
    015 Bottom Terminal Design layout.pdf
  • JMaul said:

skizilla said:

Parking rail?

Some examples; Okemo's HS Six and Mt Snow's HS Six have the rails in barns. Jackson Gore HSQ has an extrnal rail. 

See attachments.

Where are you finding these documents?
    - Sam
  • JMaul said:

skizilla said:

Parking rail?

See attachments.

Where are you finding these documents?
    Act 250 Database
  • edited March 14
    The original plan had the bottom terminal extending down Cabot's Run to Lower Wanderer. Anyone know if that is still the case? The original plan is not visible anymore and the new submission didn't list.

I did notice all the complaints about the wind. Hopefully lowering the towers a little on the top 1/3 might help.

The biggest problem is the wind coming up Janeway Jct right towards the top terminal. Even when I worked there I couldn't understand why they never rerouted the trail and replanted pines or trees to cut down on the wind channeling up through there.
  • The lift will be a run of the mill high speed quad. It will be a welcome upgrade from the snowbowl chair, This chair will most certainly always run, the idea is to take heat off of Ursa and it will give Stratton different choices on how to open early season and eliminate the need to ski log road. The lift will NOT be going to the bottom of cabots but will begin uphill of the current lift. No its not a bubble, sorry everyone...but it should be a big improvement to what exists currently. 
  • edited March 14
    Per the Act 250 documents, the lift will begin above Old Logging Road and will have a slightly different alignment.  The Bottom of Snow Bowl Alley and the top of Upper Wanderer are being rerouted while it looks like Chute is being closed and the big turn on Mike's Way is being narrowed to have a 1:1 forest replacement.

• obienick said:

Per the Act 250 documents, the lift will begin above Old Logging Road and will have a slightly different alignment.  The Bottom of Snow Bowl Alley and the top of Upper Wanderer are being rerouted while it looks like Chute is being closed and the big turn on Mike's Way is being narrowed to have a 1:1 forest replacement.

That is a funny map. It looks like it has indicated the Kidderbrook quad, Grizzly double, North American quad, and the Standard double lift on the plan.
  • Oddly it also shows the existing Snow Bowl Quad as unloading uphill from the Starship - it's almost directly next to it in reality.
  • The lift will be a run of the mill high speed quad. It will be a welcome upgrade from the snowbowl chair, This chair will most certainly always run, the idea is to take heat off of Ursa and it will give Stratton different choices on how to open early season and eliminate the need to ski log road. The lift will NOT be going to the bottom of cabots but will begin uphill of the current lift. No its not a bubble, sorry everyone...but it should be a big improvement to what exists currently. 

They have needed a high speed lift on the north face to take the load off Ursa. Next they need to put a lift back on Kidderbrook. Of course at over 6000' that needs to be high speed. With that they will better spread customers around existing terrain.
  • TomWhite said:

The lift will be a run of the mill high speed quad. It will be a welcome upgrade from the snowbowl chair, This chair will most certainly always run, the idea is to take heat off of Ursa and it will give Stratton different choices on how to open early season and eliminate the need to ski log road. The lift will NOT be going to the bottom of cabots but will begin uphill of the current lift. No its not a bubble, sorry everyone...but it should be a big improvement to what exists currently. 

They have needed a high speed lift on the north face to take the load off Ursa. Next they need to put a lift back on Kidderbrook. Of course at over 6000' that needs to be high speed. With that they will better spread customers around existing terrain.
    Is the trail capacity adequate to support additinal traffic?
  • Below is the newenglandskihistory article on Kidderbrook. When living in CT, I skied Stratton often (season pass). I now live in Maine. But I was there for two days after the 29" (3/8-9) storm. On the crowded Friday, there were not many people using the area. Of course the very long and flat run out to the Sun Bowl keeps people away. The area was developed to have a FGQ, so yes I think there is trail capacity. But I think of a lift being there more as spreading skier/rider traffic out.
    ---------------------------
    Located to the south of the main Sun Bowl complex, the Kidderbrook Poma fixed grip quad chairlift was installed in 1989 on the Upper Kidderbrook Trail. At 6,285 feet long, the 1,476 vertical foot ride took at least a dozen minutes. In conjunction with the Sun Bowl Quad, the Kidderbrook Quad provided summit access from the bottom of the Sun Bowl.

In the late 80s, as well as the 1990s, there had been some talk of expanding terrain to the south of the Kidderbrook Quad, perhaps in conjunction with some nearby housing. This never came to fruition.

With the slow, distant nature of the lift, it was not surprising to see it overshadowed when the Shooting Star high speed detachable six person chairlift was installed in 2001, allowing for skiers to get to the summit of Stratton from the bottom of the Sun Bowl via two fast lifts.

Due to a lack of use, as well as the financial crunch felt by parent companies Intrawest and Fortress, the Kidderbrook Quad was removed and sold in 2007. The trails it served are still in use today, though requiring two lift rides per run.

Additional trails are planned for the undeveloped area between the Sun Bowl and Kidderbrook complex. In addition, there are rumors that a replacement could be constructed in the future.