2017-2018 closing dates

Comments

• I guess WaWa did good as far as days this year. They went hard in early Nov. and opened as early as Mount Snow. IIRC they had a good amount open for a first weekend for them.
  • https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2018/04/10/eastern-closing-2018-calendar-creep-closures-week-3/

Here is this week's list. The title says it all, regardless of the amount of snow on the ground, many ski areas will be calling a season this weekend. Go skiing.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
  • I'll be at Sugarbush this Saturday if anyone wants to say "hi"
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • Patriots Day has been add at Cannon too.
  • Gore is opened until April 15th, but may go longer into April.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• Mad River just threw in the towel. It seems rare to me (I am young, so not all that many years) that resorts are closing this time of the year with such good coverage. You look at the webcams and there is no dirt to be seen.
  • edited April 12
    I'll be up at Mount Snow next Wednesday. The weather prior to that looks lousy.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• edited April 12
    This has happened before. I want to say c. 2003 there was a cold spring with a lot of snow and many places shut down before the snow melted.  At this point in the season, most skiers are pass holders. Very little income to keep day-to-day operations in the black.
  • edited April 12
    Wachusett is hinting that Sunday may not be their last day:

"Sadly Sunday will be out last day of the season (or is it?). Deck Party, Music by the Ed Sullivans, Outdoor BBQ & Bar. The Lifts will run from 8am - 4pm. Season Pass Holders bring your friends for 1/2 price lift and rentals.Bronze passholders ski for only $5. This event is weather permitting. Please check back for updates."

https://www.wachusett.com/Events-Activities/On-Mountain-Events/Event-Calendar/Last-Day-Retro-Party.aspx

Maybe Vickery Bowl in May again like in 2015?
    - Sam
  • 2014-2015 many closed with 100% coverage. The amount of snow is only half the equation, the other large portion being traffic levels. At some point you decide you've given passholders enough value and the day tickets have tapered off and it's time to throw in the towel.
  • SnoCountry has it wrong. Big Rock Maine will be open Sunday 4/15:

4/11 filling in the pond, still over 4 feet of snow in places !!!! Snowmobile hill climb on Saturday 4/14.
    Open for skiing on Sunday 4/15 9:00-4:00, in the true spirt of spring skiing we will only run the double chair lift and groom the Comet. Snowflake and his sidekick will be flipping burgers 
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Sunapee has thrown in the towel as of 4:00PM Friday the 13th.
  • Bellayre done tomorrow
    I gave thought of a Friday the 27 last ditch effort when I am in New Jersey to go somewhere within a three hour radius of Northern and J Killington would be just a little too far for a day trip
  • I am at Wachusett right now and apparently the season ends at 4:00 this afternoon. The vibe here today is fine.
  • Mad River Glen was trying for this weekend, but rains last night killed it. Web cam looks bleak. Lots of folks hiking though, as I hear Chute is really good still.
  • Just got back from Stowe. Hands down worst day of the season. Everything opened is a groomer with a bulletproof surface. Essentially couldn't stop if needed to. Only granular was at the immediate bottom. Hoping for this anticipated 8 plus inches to revive the closing day fun.
  • It was not a good day at Sugarbush though depending on who you listen to-- we're due for either a big dump or a big disappointment, 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • bmwskier said:

It was not a good day at Sugarbush though depending on who you listen to-- we're due for either a big dump or a big disappointment, 

Heard it was horrible, on the unsafe frozen side, similar to late-Feb. Sleeting now pretty aggressively. Agreed on the "depends on whom you believe" theory. Wunderground says upwards of 10 inches or snow; NOAA leaning toward 3-4. Good evening to stay off the roads, though...
  • Mount Snow will be closed tomorrow and Monday. Glad I stayed south, Big Boulder was real nice today. But warm though, one of the chairs was over heating, so they loaded every other chair. Got another next to it going somewhat quickly, and that took care of the line. Was surprised how many tickets I saw compared to passes. I'd say over 80%, was watching during the short time that they were scanning. Good crowd for sure, also seems to be the f-bomd capital of the ski world.
  • Whiteface is reopening April 20-22nd.

• edited April 17
    Wildcat Saturday was exactly as mtsnow123 described Stowe above.

Wildcat is closed Monday 4/16. Stay tuned for Tuesday...the reports says. They had been shooting for thru 4/22 daily and May closing
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited April 17
    Mt Snow reopens Tuesday 4/17, Wildcat reopens Wednesday 4/18, Cannon didn't open 4/16 and is now closed for the season. Loons last day was either 4/14 or the 15th.

• After a mixed bag of weekend, this week looks closer to a normal Spring skiing weekend. No more pond skimming competitions in freezing temperatures. :P

Ski Mad World
  • MadPatSki said:

After a mixed bag of weekend, this week looks closer to a normal Spring skiing weekend. No more pond skimming competitions in freezing temperatures. :P

Killington has announced daily through May 6 and F, S, S the rest of the season + Memorial Day Monday.
  • MadPatSki said:

Killington has announced daily through May 6 and F, S, S the rest of the season + Memorial Day Monday.
    Thanks for the info. I just updated my post.
    Ski Mad World
  • Anyone know the likely Killington midweek lifts after this weekend? I hear there are several construction projects that might close snow covered areas of the MTN.
  • Pretty sure it's just the Superstar Quad after this weekend. Think I read that on the snow report. Too bad since I should be there monday.
  • edited April 19
    Last season Killington was about $69 when down to the Superstar pod IIRC, and 50% off midweek with a pass or ticket from another area. 25% off on weekend's. So hopefully about $35 midweek which is somewhat reasonable fir one lift I guess?
  • They just loaded tix onto liftopia today. I think they go to memorial day now. Before today they didn't even have Monday loaded yet. Various prices, I think about $45 or lower every day.
  • jaytrem said:

Pretty sure it's just the Superstar Quad after this weekend. Think I read that on the snow report. Too bad since I should be there monday.

I was hoping to go Monday but with only the superstar running, I can't justify driving up for 3 hours to ski 1000 verts on 4 trails. Looks like my season ends this weekend. I'll be looking to see if kton changes it's mind.