??Northeast Slopes?? 3/11/18

edited March 15 in Trip Reports
image
20180311_102657.jpg
1932 x 2576 - 947K
You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....

Comments

  • edited March 15
    Northeast Slopes
    - Sam
  • Yep, Northeast Slopes.

    Made the stop on the way home 3/11/18. Got there around 10. Purchased my $15 ticket and spent the next 2 hours lapping this little gem. A noontime Nor'easter Burger and back out for a few more runs before calling it at 1pm. Managed 18-20 runs.

    What a great place these locals have. Laid back, great vibe, volunteer run, legit steeps on the outer trails. If the snow is on and you find yourself close to NE Slopes, go and get some. You will not be disappointed.

    Best $15 ever spent on a lift ticket. Best $6 burger ever bought at a ski area. Their website guarantees to put a smile on your face and they did it.  Enjoy the pics.


    image


    image


    image


    image


    image


    image

    image


    image


    image


    image


    NE Slopes sign.jpg
    1143 x 1129 - 305K
    20180311_101509.jpg
    1932 x 2576 - 591K
    20180311_102503.jpg
    1932 x 2576 - 900K
    20180311_102509.jpg
    1288 x 966 - 406K
    20180311_102637.jpg
    1932 x 2576 - 751K
    20180311_103640.jpg
    1288 x 966 - 376K
    20180311_113914.jpg
    1288 x 966 - 410K
    20180311_104821.jpg
    1932 x 2576 - 820K
    20180311_110430.jpg
    1288 x 966 - 331K
    20180311_122354.jpg
    1932 x 2576 - 970K
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • Thanks for sharing, I love reports from these smaller areas.
    - Sam
  • great report!

  • Going to get my skis and head over there. It looks great. 


    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • Nice report. Did you buy a new pair of skis?

    image
  • bmwskier said:

    Going to get my skis and head over there. It looks great. 



    Sadly they are reporting they won't open this weekend. Lack of lift volunteers.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • Nice report. Did you buy a new pair of skis?

    image


    :-$
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • Good tbar stop JMAUL !

    Use the bear traps?
  • Love that place. Shame they won't open- snow is ridiculous now
  •      I couldn't read the ski brand name. Is is Bonna? Anyway, the long, straight wooden skis, the bear trap bindings and cable heel pieces, the long-thong strap (I see only one attached to the cable) and those lace-up leather boots bring back memories. They don't make that stuff like they used to. They make them a hell of a lot better now.
         The boots covered the ankles but didn't go much higher. And, by the season's end, the calluses on your fingers from tightening them throughout the season were pretty big. The long-thongs served to tighten the boot fit and incidentally, acted as runaway straps in the unlikely event that the cables released in a fall. Otherwise - well, the term "spiral fracture" was a not-unheard-of medical diagnosis for a leg injury in those days. In an egg-beater fall those long skis could apply a lot of torque to the lower leg bones. But, we had fun and most of us survived.
         Great pictures. Thanks.
  • Bill29 said:

         I couldn't read the ski brand name. Is is Bonna? Anyway, the long, straight wooden skis, the bear trap bindings and cable heel pieces, the long-thong strap (I see only one attached to the cable) and those lace-up leather boots bring back memories. They don't make that stuff like they used to. They make them a hell of a lot better now.
         The boots covered the ankles but didn't go much higher. And, by the season's end, the calluses on your fingers from tightening them throughout the season were pretty big. The long-thongs served to tighten the boot fit and incidentally, acted as runaway straps in the unlikely event that the cables released in a fall. Otherwise - well, the term "spiral fracture" was a not-unheard-of medical diagnosis for a leg injury in those days. In an egg-beater fall those long skis could apply a lot of torque to the lower leg bones. But, we had fun and most of us survived.
         Great pictures. Thanks.

    Yes, Bonna is the brand.

    Great old skis. They belong on a wall in a chalet......
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • I was at a telemark festival at MRG a long time ago. Someone had stood up against the lift shack two 2 x 4 x 8's shaped like skis with three pin bindings on them. "Stud XL" was wood burned into them. Alas, that was before I skied with a camera. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • Cattle with shed in first pic, red barn, sure beats condo city. Would love to ride that tbar with Ibrake4tbars ⛷⛷
  • ciscokid said:

    Cattle with shed in first pic, red barn, sure beats condo city. Would love to ride that tbar with Ibrake4tbars ⛷⛷

    Are you sure you and I Brake should ride together?? We know what happened that last time you two went up a lift together
  • Treilly said:

    ciscokid said:

    Cattle with shed in first pic, red barn, sure beats condo city. Would love to ride that tbar with Ibrake4tbars ⛷⛷

    Are you sure you and I Brake should ride together?? We know what happened that last time you two went up a lift together
    I don’t have to worry about Ciscokid crossing his skis with mine at the summit on a surface lift! ;))
  • The only problem would be that the T-bar would be at my knees and Ibrake4tbars lower back!
  • What's the towing capacity of the average T-bar by the way?
  • Great photos and report, jmaul!  No better ski lodge cheeseburger than the Northeast burger with that Cabot cheddar!

    Nice conditions, too, judging by your photos.  Looks like a great day to enjoy NEast Slopes.

    Woody
  • ciscokid said:

    The only problem would be that the T-bar would be at my knees and Ibrake4tbars lower back!

    ciscokid said:

    Then we definitely couldn't ride a T-Bar together.   


  • Gorgeous! Thanks for the report. NE Slopes rocks!!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
Sign In or Register to comment.