Chairlift Roll-Back in Georgia (country) - Might be disturbing to some.

jgrecojgreco intermediate
in The Pit Posts: 69
Lift roll-back video.

One of my earliest memories in skiing is riding the lift with my dad and him explaining that if there's ever a roll-back, find a place to jump, because you don't want to make it to the bullwheel.

Comments

That's crazy!
    - Sam
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    beyond scary
  • BetsyBetsy intermediate
    I have nightmares about this!!
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    edited March 16 Posts: 301
    Wow, that is disturbing.  The people jumping off before the bullwheel and quickly rolling aside are exemplary for "what to do in this situation".  I am going to tell my kids the same thing your Dad (wisely) told you.

A question for the community.  Would you show this video to your tween aged kids or not?

• obienickobienick expert
    Doppelmayr.  This isn't good.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Scariest one minute lift catastrophic video I ever saw, I think I'm going to the movies tomorrow with my wife.

Hate to have to tell my grandkids to jump from twenty to thirty feet but if that's what it takes
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    That gave me shivers down my spine. Hard to watch.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Is that a new or an old video?
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced

Is that a new or an old video?

Brand new!

Happened earlier today I believe!!!! 
    :-O
  • jgrecojgreco intermediate

A question for the community.  Would you show this video to your tween aged kids or not?

Bubblecuffer,  you could show them this one if you're worried about kids seeing people getting seriously injured. This one is just sandbags and concrete blocks. Full roll-back starts at about 4 minutes. 
    jgreco said:

Bubblecuffer,  you could show them this one if you're worried about kids seeing people getting seriously injured. This one is just sandbags and concrete blocks. Full roll-back starts at about 4 minutes. 
    Thank you!  That is much better.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Just had my 14yr old daughter watch it. Her reaction was a mixture of "OMG!!" and "I guess Dad, I should jump off the lift if I was on it and this ever happens,,". She most definitely wasn't freaked out by it.... The fact that she's averaged over 50 days a year on the hill since she was 3, and is probably nearing 10000 lift rides in her career to date might play a role in her not freaking out about it....
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    wow...
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert

yes, with explanation that our lifts undergo rigorous inspection (I hope that's true) 

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert

yes, with explanation that our lifts undergo rigorous inspection (I hope that's true) 

Just did- said he had seen it already on Instagram
  • bmwskierbmwskier expert

Just did- said he had seen it already on Instagram
    Not surprised. Some days my students know more about what's going on in the world than I do,--- and I am a news freak. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    Was on weather channel # 2 video of week
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    Showed my kid she reaction was “that’s terrifying”. We also ride roller coasters a lot and there are stories and videos of issues with them also. Since she was little she knows things can happen but she said she doesn’t want to live in a bubble
  • NJSnowmakerNJSnowmaker novice
    For anyone that works on or around chairlifts this is the worst nightmare that could happen. Even with all of the state of the art lifts and safety precautions, it still can happen. If the lift has a catastrophic gear box failure ( which it looks like here ) only the roll back dogs on the bull wheels will stop this from happening. There is a brake on the drive bullwheel that will stop a low speed roll back. But once it gets moving there is no way to stop it. Smaller lifts under 1500 to 2000ft long have a less of a chance of a roll back than the lifts that are 4000-5000 ft long. Its a scary thought of this happening to anyone. There are several videos of this happening in the US, I believe this happened in Michigan a couple of years ago.

For anyone that works on or around chairlifts this is the worst nightmare that could happen. Even with all of the state of the art lifts and safety precautions, it still can happen. If the lift has a catastrophic gear box failure ( which it looks like here ) only the roll back dogs on the bull wheels will stop this from happening. There is a brake on the drive bullwheel that will stop a low speed roll back. But once it gets moving there is no way to stop it. Smaller lifts under 1500 to 2000ft long have a less of a chance of a roll back than the lifts that are 4000-5000 ft long. Its a scary thought of this happening to anyone. There are several videos of this happening in the US, I believe this happened in Michigan a couple of years ago.

Which Michigan area? Don't recall hearing about it
    Ted?
  • LiftGuyLiftGuy advanced

Wisconsin- Devil's Head
  • NJSnowmakerNJSnowmaker novice
    Here is the video

Lot's of coverage of this on CNN.  One video shows a different perspective where the speed of the lift is a bit more measurable.  I feel bad for any newbies that were on that lift who didn't know to jump.

So, I decided not to show this video to my younger son since he hasn't yet fully embraced the sport yet and he is sometimes hesitant.  Instead, we're going to discuss it.  My older son is a skiing nut (like me) and needs to better understand the risks of skiing, including lift malfunctions.

“Unfortunately, according to the current conclusion, the operator made a mistake. The combination of the actions that he should have had carried out were not implemented in compliance with the relevant instructions – it was a human error.”

I am not sure I buy this lock, stock and barrel. There has to be fail safe things built into the system to keep the chairs from rolling back in case of a power failure, right? I'm not a liftie but I assume that the roll back brakes operate outside of human control as I think running in reverse must involve a lot of steps first before it can be initiated. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    I would be interested in what ways that lift is different than ones that are installed in the US. How do the safety systems differ?
    - Sam
    Would they differ though? I don't think the lift manufacturer sells one lift with the gold package of safety systems and the other the bronze package because if something like this happens, they're gonna get sued no matter what. Besides, if 20 years down the road the chair gets sold and it doesn't have all of the safety systems, they're still going to have to take a hit. 

The big question is whether or not the lift was modified in the field for some purpose or the checklists that are supposed to happen each day to check out the mechanics of it were done. 
    Greg Stump
  • newmannewman advanced
    I don't think that lift can be run in reverse.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited March 23 Posts: 2,116
    I've been meaning to ask the lifties at Wildcat where there is a big sign saying that this lift can be run in reverse. So why would they ever be run it in reverse?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ceoceo intermediate
    I've seen that sign on the Slide Brook Express too. Somewhere I read that that because Doppelmayr grips stay in the open position in the terminal, they have to do the grip force check after the chair attaches to the rope, and if it fails they have to reverse the lift to get it back into the terminal. Poma detachables, with their single-position grips, can do the check in the terminal when it's off the rope. But I've been on plenty of Doppelmayr, Garaventa/CTEC etc. detachables that didn't have that sign.