LOW HANGING CHAIRLIFTS - Where do YOU HAVE TO DUCK!

I don't know if we ever actually had a thread on this but I have always had an issue with low doorways, tree branches , CHAIRLIFTS, you name it.

I notice and it was clarified skiing with Conrad and Ibrake4tbars that older lifts typically had lower towers and generally low chairs to the ground where even average skiers had to watch out for skiers in chairlifts from hitting their hanging legs and skis.

What particular lift or ski area has this issue/ problem if you have had to duck or avoid contact with chair riders?

The Old chairs( of which there are many) at Boyne mountain and Highlands stick out, all the center pole Riblet quads.

I've never seen Mac gulley lift run, it would t surprise me if because of this issueimage
IMG_3549.JPG
2048 x 1151 - 839K

Comments

• There is apparently a law (or rule) in NH (and perhaps other states) that there must be 14' of clearance between the bottom of a chair's foot rest and the ground.  At Crotched Mtn., the right turn from Re-entry under the West Double hasn't been open in recent years for that reason.  

On the North Ridge Triple at Killington, there is strategically placed bamboo to keep skier's heads on the ground away from skiers feet on the chair above.

I recall very low to the ground chairs at Magic Mtn. under both summit chairs  

I suspect there are many of low-to-trail-below situations on older/grandfathered chairs. 
  • It is a national (ANSI) regulation.
  • I wonder if Michigan without safety chairlift bars regulated has this law, a lot of old lifts grandfathered in?
  • Per reading the Snow Bowl replacement Act 250 doc's, it's 13 feet bottom of chair to top of snow surface.
  • Timberline chair at the Loaf is intentionally designed to keep the chairs below tree level for as much of its length as possible to avoid wind problems.  Its route is in the trees to the closest they get to the summit.  It's also oriented so when the NW wind howls it follows the chairs--less likely to get them swinging sideways.
  • Recently at Wildcat my skis touched snow on the way up the quad frst run.  Patrol soon had that area roped.  So much snow!
  • Chuckstah said:

Recently at Wildcat my skis touched snow on the way up the quad frst run.  Patrol soon had that area roped.  So much snow!

With all the snow there must be a lot of roping off adjustments throughout the NE

The 14 ' rule/ law must be challenged with all that snow.

Along this line of thought, who ENJOYS skiing right under chairlifts filled with riders? If possible I like slaloming around towers.( not getting too close of course) The front side of Nubs come to mind.
  • Stealing bmwskiers pic , this looks like it's breaking the 14' law? Maybe there is a high snowfall statute of limitations exclusionimage
    IMG_4168.JPG
    1280 x 960 - 157K
  • top of the Jet Triple at Jay is very low, and they rope it off.

• ciscokid said:

Stealing bmwskiers pic , this looks like it's breaking the 14' law? Maybe there is a high snowfall statute of limitations exclusionimage

No such exemption. Probably an over worked Ski Patrol but definitely a violation and open liability.
  • Angle of the photo doesn't show the drop off at the top of North Lynx. Trust me, with our risk manager, if there as a violation, we would've heard of it a long time ago and it would've been fixed. She's fanatical about that-- which is a really, really good thing for a ski area. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • The top of the Hornet Triple at Bradford is not far off the snow and is usually roped off.

There are a couple spots on the Hornet Double at Tenney which are very low and are roped off. image
    image.jpeg
    2048 x 1536 - 752K
    - Sam
  • bmwskier said:

Angle of the photo doesn't show the drop off at the top of North Lynx. Trust me, with our risk manager, if there as a violation, we would've
    heard of it a long time ago and it would've been fixed. She's fanatical about that-- which is a really, really good thing for a ski area. 

Thanks for the clarification. I now see the large deposit of snow in the foreground
  • It’s funny — my friends and I were just saying that we couldn’t believe that last season the top section under the Empire chair at Deer Valley had to be roped off in order to keep skiers from being hit by the people on the lifts skis.  This year with so little snow it almost seems unimaginable as the ground (snow) is so much lower.  As a former easterner, I’m happy to hear that back east you are having these sorts of problems this season.
  • The short side of Double Runner at Sugarloaf frequently has areas of the trail below closed off with poles where it dips a little too low between towers. Almost never on the long side though, in my experience. 
  • The top section underneath the Bluebird Bubble at Mount Snow is completely closed off to traffic underneath, until right before the top terminal where skiers traverse.

At Stowe, Hacket''s Highway underneath the Triple is very, very low in points. Some areas are always marked off with bamboo when it gets deep. Liftline at Stowe also has bamboo in place to prevent skiers from potentially hopping off a mogul and hitting the Fourrunner quad. 

I've seen plenty of videos of freestyle skiers grabbing the footbar of the lift going above them and going for a short trip back up the mountain.
  • Some low chairlifts that come to mind would be Outpost and Summit at Pico, VT and Summit at Whaleback. All three have sections where someone could catch a ski to the head if two people weren't paying attention. A tall person could bang their head at the bottom of Skyship as well if they were standing right next to the rope. Seems like it is quite common for there to be a situation where someone could theoretically bang their head.
  • Constantly have headbangers with safety bars,old low lifts when loading and low chairs, it seems a foot off the ground .they are on top of my boots pinching my leg.

There's a reason I have no hair left, all the low, non regulated, grandfathered in doorways knocked it off⛷⛷
  • Madonna 1 as Smugg's.  But hey that's why Liftline is a double black diamond, you have to look up and down when skiing it...
  • I nearly got schwacked at Cochran's yesterday when I got off the t-bar and went to skier's right, crossing the line. Caught the bar out of the corner of my eye before it caught my head. Oopsie. Rookie move. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited March 25
    Caberfae Under CTEC quad going from Smiling Irishman over to south peak '83 Riblet triple 3/24/18image
    IMG_4472.JPG
    320 x 240 - 47K
    IMG_4474.JPG
    320 x 240 - 39K
  • Isn't the Cannonball chair at Cannon like that at the top, unless it's bam booed off?
  • The middle section of the Grand Summit Express has a low point that is always roped off.
  • Rams head Boyne mtn 1/20/18image
    IMG_4496.JPG
    320 x 240 - 60K
  • Amy's Boyne Highlands 1/21/18imageimageimage
    IMG_4500.JPG
    320 x 240 - 33K
    IMG_4501.JPG
    320 x 240 - 40K
    IMG_4502.JPG
    320 x 240 - 69K