Mad River Glen's "Ski it if you can" - How do you interpret?

2»

Comments

• bmwskier said:

I just saw a bumper sticker in Waterbury that said "No one cares if you ski Mad River Glen" 

Yes, seen them many, many times around Burlington.
  • mtsnow123 said:

bmwskier said:

I just saw a bumper sticker in Waterbury that said "No one cares if you ski Mad River Glen" 

Yes, seen them many, many times around Burlington.
    Saw one the other day in the Mt Ellen lot, sticker in the typical red and white layout: "You Ski Mad, We Ride Happy"
  • The one thing that I have seen go away in the past few years at Mad River was the annual Telemark Festival. I started going in the early 90's and it was a great time to get together with other telemarkers for classes, exploration and some good times. We had it one year at Sugarbush, the awards at the end were fun and the keg of Catamount Beer (oh, how we miss you) was well worth the trip from Buffalo and sleeping at the rest area on route 100. 

Haven't gone to the last ones-- any one have any ideas why it had it's end? 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited March 30
    Ski it if you can is one of the great calls to action in skidom. Like several have said, I think it's a challenge thing first, but once you've been there and seen the friendly and historic side of MRG it becomes the second interpretation.

At this point I really dislike the boarder prohibition at MRG, DV and Alta. It seems childish, archaic, and beneath the level of fairmindedness a sensible adult should exhibit. Get over it, snowboarding's just one of numerous accepted ways to get down the mountain. If the theory is correct that boarder numbers are declining, then the concern of them overrunning or changing the character of a place like MRG should be even less than before. I don't believe lifting the ban at Taos has changed the character or quality of that mountain.

• JimK said:

Ski it if you can is one of the great calls to action in skidom. Like several have said, I think it's a challenge thing first, but once you've been there and seen the friendly and historic side of MRG it becomes the second interpretation.

At this point I really dislike the boarder prohibition at MRG, DV and Alta. It seems childish, archaic, and beneath the level of fairmindedness a sensible adult should exhibit. Get over it, snowboarding's just one of numerous accepted ways to get down the mountain. If the theory is correct that boarder numbers are declining, then the concern of them overrunning or changing the character of a place like MRG should be even less than before. I don't believe lifting the ban at Taos has changed the character or quality of that mountain.

Yes, it has its roots in the spat with Betsey P years ago, but now it will take shift in shareholder sensibilities to change policy. Curious if it has been brought up for a vote at the latest SH meetings, and if so, what the result was. My guess is opinions might be moving toward the "get over it" side, but could also be more entrenched in the ban.

Many golf courses require you use a cart and prohibit walking, as well as playing "speed golf". Seems similar to the snowboard ban. 

I know about a dozen MRG shareholders and none supports allowing snowboarders. Not exactly a representative sample, but anyway...
  • I'm sure a big part of the decision making process to allow snowboarders asks the question "How would it benefit the area?" "How much of a revenue stream will it bring in and how much would we lose by doing it?"

They've got a niche marketing strategy that works for them. They're a member owned coop that makes decisions collectively. I don't like some of the decisions my local food coop makes so I shop somewhere else to show my displeasure when it involves a product and I let the leadership know as well. If MRG shareholders want to go snowboard friendly or not, it's their decision. Heck, they even turned away Governor Dean when he showed up with a board. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • JimK said:

It seems childish, archaic, and beneath the level of fairmindedness a sensible adult should exhibit. Get over it,  snowboarding's just one of numerous accepted ways to get down the mountain
    My bowling alley won't let me wear tap shoes on the lane. They say it affects their product and their regular clientele will be bothered by it. Is that childish?

• edited March 30
    Sugarloaf is right, last few years Ski it if You Can means if there's snow.  MRG snow report 12/19/15
  • Mad River Glen - "Ski It When You Can't Ski Hickory"
    "I need a powder day"
  • There was almost always dirt and rocks between the moguls on high school ski trips to Belleayre ('68-'72) - a learning experience - builds character and technique.
  • Skizix said:

Mad River Glen - "Ski It When You Can't Ski Hickory"

I love that one...and I miss Hickory
  • edited March 31
    bmwskier said:

I'm sure a big part of the decision making process to allow snowboarders asks the question "How would it benefit the area?" "How much of a revenue stream will it bring in and how much would we lose by doing it?"

How it would hurt financially is a bigger issue in my mind. How many skiers are loyal to MRG that wouldn't be if the restriction was lifted? Would the increase in boarders offset the decrease in skiers that reject running the area that way? How many shareholders would sell their shares and force Mad River to expense a buyback option?

As a shareholder, I am neutral on the issue. I am sympathetic to the notion that friends cannot ride together if one friend boards instead of skis. I am openly hostile to the awful defense of the ban that boarders would wreck the snow. Good boarders do just fine and bad skiers (there are a lot more of them at MRG than you might think) hacking and side slipping their way down moguls do just as much damage as a bad boarder. 

To me it all comes down to the long term viability of the area. I bought my share to help "preserve and protect" which is the mission of the Coop. Eliminating the equipment restriction might be beneficial if it improves revenues. But it could also cripple the area by causing some folks to abandon the area or worse sell shares back to the coop as well. Hard to know which way it would go but I think the ban helps revenues and eliminating it would hurt financially. Just my guess.

Back to the original topic, Ski It if You Can has always been a statement that MRG is a wild mountain different from other areas. It isn't a statement that MRG is the hardest mountain around nor that you probably can't ski it because you aren't good enough. In fact, MRG's bread and butter are its youth programs which develop the next generation of MRG skiers and keep families coming to the mountain every weekend. It is a great place to learn and develop skiing natural terrain regardless of your level. But without a doubt, the slogan is in reference to challenging terrain.
  • One thing I noticed while skiing there with Eric Friedman (Marketing Dir) was how many of the skiers on the slopes know each other in passing on the lifts and the trails. It's not too often that that occurs at a 2000' vertical hill with sprawling terrain - it gives Mad River a much more community ski area feel with top notch, substantial terrain. A lot of the trails are over my pay grade, but even if I could ski there more frequently, I wouldn't be bored with what the wide variety of intermediate trails which are long, full of character, with plenty of challenge in their own right.

Also the mountain is named after my great great great great great great great uncle so that's pretty cool :)
  • When I first starting noticing the stickers on cars I always thought I bet that guy can ski Paradise pretty good. I never went therr. At that time in my life I had stickers on my car that said Only the best Ski Whiteface and one that said ski with the best- Highmount. So the expert part of ski it if you can was my way of thinking of MRG as a challenge. Oh another sticker I was proud of was I skied Outer Limits at Killington. Someone peeled it of my car while I was parked for Superstar on a Memorial Day trip there.