Sugarbush , Day 2

bmwskierbmwskier expert
in Trip Reports Posts: 525
We started off in midwinter conditions-- temps at opening were -6 at both Allyns and at Heaven's Gate. We didn't groom anything off of the top but Jester-- not that anything needed it. Paradise was easily the best I have seen it in years- watched a group of decent intermediates hoot and holler their way down it without much trouble--- the bumps were so soft and forgiving that it was hard not to look good (except when tired). Even Downspout stayed great until sweep. 

Crowds were less-- parking lots weren't as full and monitoring the lift lines via the website from the top shack (surreal) showed that things moved along. Temps didn't get much higher than 10 by mid day-- so Slidebrook did not spin. Lots of hikers going into the Church for the backcountry experience from HG. Took a run down Domino and it was easy to find fresh, wind packed powder. Lots of smiles and sunburn. The only bummer was the wind started to kick up and people were bundled a bit due to that. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
Greg Stump
100_0032.jpg
1280 x 960 - 98K
100_0033.jpg
1280 x 960 - 152K
100_0034.jpg
1280 x 960 - 221K
100_0035.jpg
1280 x 960 - 135K
100_0037.jpg
1280 x 960 - 166K
100_0038.jpg
1280 x 960 - 173K
100_0040.jpg
1280 x 960 - 250K
100_0043.jpg
1280 x 960 - 204K
100_0045.jpg
1280 x 960 - 154K
100_0047.jpg
1280 x 960 - 222K
100_0050.jpg
1280 x 960 - 137K
100_0052.jpg
1280 x 960 - 209K

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Chamber of commerce picture quality, most excellent! Unique third pic
  • bmwskierbmwskier expert
    ciscokid said:

Thank you! It was an easy day to shoot-- way too nice and th week looks the same, though a bit warmer. 

From the Patrol Shack window of Heaven's Gate looking down. A little while after I took the shot, we had a woman rode the bullwheel around. Fortunately, she didn't fall into the netting and had to ride the chair back past all of the other skiers. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    ciscokid said:

Hahaha.  Nice.  Spot on.  Despite all these storms following a southerly track, Central/Northern VT is looking sweet.  Endless winter.
    Wondering since I finally figured out you were a patroller or worked at the ski area how often does a chairlift rider not get off when they're supposed to and go back down like you mentioned here?
    If I had to guess it is probably more often than a lay person would believe
    Not as much as you think, Cisco. This particular person was vertically challenged and didn't trip the safety gate when going around the bullwheel. We have to set that gate (though a liftie would know better) at a certain height based on an average leg dangle without the possibility of the chair hitting it going around. A high wind can angle the outside of the chair enough that, if set too high, could knock it off. 

The biggest lift stoppage issues usually happen at the bottom where people slide too far forward or are out of place when the chair comes around. 
    Greg Stump
    BMW, is that round red colored building in your first picture an old building that has been there since the 70s?

The last time I skied there was March 1979 ,vaguely looks familiar to my memory banks

First time I skied the Bush was Christmas week of 1977, three of us went in the Easter egg colored gondola cars ,good memories of the bush
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    ciscokid said:

BMW, is that round red colored building in your first picture an old building that has been there since the 70s?

The last time I skied there was March 1979 ,vaguely looks familiar to my memory banks

First time I skied the Bush was Christmas week of 1977, three of us went in the Easter egg colored gondola cars ,good memories of the bush

The Mushroom. Was a bar- not sure its use now, as it was administration for a bit. Been there since the beginning when Valley House was the only base lodge
    It is the administration building now. Offices in the round part and the patrol boot room is underneath where the sled is. They tried to use it for so many things, but they never worked out. Access is limited as well--- it's not easy to get to from the inside as you have to go up to the second deck and then down several flights of stairs-- there's one door to the outside facing towards Spring Fling (more or less). 

I can see how back in the 70's it would've been a good hang out for picnickers--- fireplace or something in the center with a fondue pot bubbling somewhere and people standing around drking PBR, Coors or something else from the time period. 

I wish that they could pop it off and take it to either summit and use it as a picnic area up from top. The views would be incredible and wind protected. I love the observation deck but it's a hard slog for most people. One of the biggest mistakes that was made at Sugarbush was taking the entire gondola down. If the owners in 1984 had just redone it, then there'd be lift access from the top of Heaven's Gate rather than where the chair goes now. Such are the rules of the National Forest. 
    Greg Stump
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited March 19 Posts: 1,322
    bmwskier said:

I can see how back in the 70's...PBR, Coors 
    Coors! Now we know you weren't of drinking age in the 70s! ;)) 

And PBR!  I think you would've had to drive up the road a bit 

Aside from that excusable error, this is a fantastic report! Very insightful, thanks for posting

bmwskier said:

I can see how back in the 70's...PBR, Coors 
    Coors! Now we know you weren't of drinking age in the 70s! ;)) 

And PBR!  I think you would've had to drive up the road a bit 

Aside from that excusable error, this is a fantastic report! Very insightful, thanks for posting
    as for the Coors reference: Clearly never saw "Smokey and the Bandit"...
    Yea I remember Molsen Golden at $2.50

Rolling rock NJ

as for the Coors reference: Clearly never saw "Smokey and the Bandit"...

Yep, hard to imagine Bandit & Snowman today. My thought on PBR is that it was definitely a "rednecks - white socks -blue ribbon beer" brand in the 1970s, not at all in vogue like it is today. Can't imagine anybody would be caught drinking PBR at "Mascara Mountain"! It would be like 'gansett back in the day.

I think the beers of the 1970s at Sugarbush would've been Michelob, Heineken, Lowenbrau, with an odd Beck's, Molson, or St Pauli sprinkled in. Plus a lot of Mateus wine. The locals would be drinking Genny in the parking lot.

If somebody cracked a Coors there in 1975 it would get a lot of admiring & envious looks!

Ok, I admit it, I was ten in 1977!--- and my memories are of WNY beers that would be drunk after skiing. They were (and you know there's a problem when you play with beer cans at ten) Genny with the red, white and black cans, Pabst, Budweiser, and when my Canadian cousins would come over they'd bring LaBatts and Molson's in the short, squat bottles because my dad swore that the beer was different over there (truth be told, it is). 

We used to race the empty cans down water streams in the snow after skiing. My Genny cans would always do better. :-)

Maybe wine in those "I Dream of Jeannie" bottles, wrapped in straw on the bottom? I know my mom drank (I think) Carlo Rossi in the big gallon bottles as there were a few around the house when we packed it up.  
    Greg Stump
    Genesee cream ale, the beer of choice keg wise at school near Bucknell
    bmwskier said:

I know my mom drank (I think) Carlo Rossi in the big gallon bottles as there were a few around the house when we packed it up.  
    yes that sounds like a 1970s time capsule!  

Coors is a youngin'
    '78 was a good snow yearimage
    IMG_4173.JPG
    320 x 240 - 45K
    ciscokid said:

Coors is a youngin'
    '78 was a good snow yearimage

Coors light is young. Coors is much older