Victor Constant Trip Report

rickbolgerrickbolger expert
edited March 19 in Trip Reports Posts: 1,322
Victor Constant Ski Slope is the answer to a trivia question:  What ski area is closest to a branch of the US Mint?    (they actually share the  entrance)

Skied there for about an hour before closing yesterday.  Thanks to jaytrem for alerting us!

Good fun, nice facility.  Here's Jeff (sj username jmaul) approaching the lift  

below, riding the lift

Below:  Approaching the top.  Sign is hard to read in this picture

Ah!  This is better....

Here's Jeff about 200 yards approx. from the top....

Above and below demonstrates the nice scenic views of the Hudson Highlands.   Just beyond Jeff -- between the slopes -- is a section of tree skiing and criss-crossing connections.  Fun.  This tree skiing was open with thin but sufficient coverage.  Left side of the photo below same trees; I simply skied down in front of the tower (above) for this image....  

Below:  Looking up at the two main slopes from the lodge; tree skiing in the middle.  There are a couple side trails, but basically what you see here is what you get.  Nice place, great family atmosphere.   The dads tend to be good looking, have perfect physiques, cool sunglasses, and short hair.  

constant1.jpg
480 x 640 - 194K
constant2.jpg
640 x 640 - 295K
constant6.jpg
640 x 480 - 193K
constant7.jpg
493 x 467 - 116K
constant5.jpg
640 x 480 - 216K
constant3.jpg
640 x 480 - 214K
constant4.jpg
640 x 480 - 202K

Comments

Great unique report!
    - Sam
  • jaytremjaytrem advanced
    Hey, that's when we were there! Skied the last 3 hours. Glad I don't have to do a trip report!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Awesome! So whats the vert & trail count?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    How cool! I grew up in that area, learned to ski at NYLSAP Silvermine Ski Area not far from Constant. Great to see the latter is still operating.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Vertical is approx 500

Trail count depends which map you look at.  Basically there are two slopes plus a beginner area, which has a handle tow.

Cisco -- this is at West Point, the academy is on the other side of the hill.

I was the guy with uncombed hair, unruly physique and no sunglasses.   Add a beard, take off a couple pounds and you pretty much have Jeff.

constant8.jpg
    698 x 387 - 219K
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    I still gotta figure out why maul's wife hates my guts
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    ski_it said:

Awesome! So whats the vert & trail count?

Vertical Drop = 487 FT Approx

Trail Count = 7 Approx

You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    20180318_145320.jpg
    1932 x 2576 - 727K
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    A few more pics from yesterday.

Sorry we missed you, jaytrem.

imageimage
    20180318_145447.jpg
    966 x 1288 - 511K
    20180318_153708.jpg
    966 x 1288 - 517K
    20180318_155159.jpg
    1288 x 966 - 601K
    20180318_155303.jpg
    966 x 1288 - 680K
    20180318_163546.jpg
    1932 x 2576 - 681K
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    ciscokid said:

giphy-downsized (2).gif
    250 x 140 - 979K
  • bmwskierbmwskier expert
    And I might add that Mr, Constant was a Norwich graduate...
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • trackbikertrackbiker advanced
    Nice report. Was the Wildcat Trail open?
  • newmannewman advanced
    You mentioned about the dads there. What about the moms?
  • jaytremjaytrem advanced

Nice report. Was the Wildcat Trail open?

Closed.  Looked like it had at least 1 tree across it, but was hard to tell.  
    newman said:

You mentioned about the dads there. What about the moms?

Excellent question plebe!  ;)

The moms did not have a singular style, they looked like ski & snowboard moms at any average local hill, such as a Jack Frost, Blue Hills, Elk, Black, McIntyre.  

Since we're on the subject, the kids showed pretty much the same unfocused lethargy that your average little skiers and boarders exhibit after a day on the slopes.

See any grampa's?⛷
    JMaul said:

ciscokid said:

Remember the https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xkqKzqyvebg

The dads tend to be good looking, have perfect physiques, cool sunglasses, and short hair.  

And are probably Airborne and Ranger qualified with the mom's probably not too far behind. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • skirickskirick intermediate
    Just curious, did you have to "know" someone to ski there or do they let the public in at certain times?
    bmwskier said:

The dads tend to be good looking, have perfect physiques, cool sunglasses, and short hair.  

And are probably Airborne and Ranger qualified with the mom's probably not too far behind. 
    Sounds like JMaul or Rick
    skirick said:

Just curious, did you have to "know" someone to ski there or do they let the public in at certain times?

It was open special to the public this past weekend.  It's also open to the public during the week, or at least it was this season.

• HarveyHarvey intermediate
    Sweet report!
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    I have a buddy that patrols at Victor Constant Ski Area.  He also is able to use the facility to coach and train a local HS ski team there.

They have their snow making woes, so its nice to see it still looking pretty good in late March. 

• bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    Really enjoyed the report and photos of Rickbolger and Jmaul's Excellent Adventure at Victor Constant.  

What a great day to be on their runs!
    Our alumni group on facebook is interested in Victor Constant because he was an alumni, didn't go overseas and apparently was an early pioneer of skiing. He died at Cannon Mountain on a practice run in 1946. I wrote the New England Ski Museum and they're doing some research for me. There used to be a tree at Cannon called "Constant's Tree" with all that implied. 

When they get back to me, I will let you know. 

Greg Stump
    Victor Constant Eyewitness Account. Thank you, Jeff, from the New England Ski Museum!
    Greg Stump
    pdf
    pdf
    Excerpt re Constant 2000-125-012h.pdf
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    bmwskier said:

Victor Constant Eyewitness Account. Thank you, Jeff, from the New England Ski Museum!

That is fascinating- thanks for posting!
    +1 !!!

• skirickskirick intermediate

Wow, they skied a downhill on the Taft Slalom trail?

• marcskimarcski advanced
    Is there more to the interview?  They were just getting to the Magic Mt. (good) part when it is cut off!