Lift Brands

Nelsap's recent posting on Tenney's Poma brings up the question:
How many manufacturers have there been of lifts and what kind of lifts did they make?

This is a subject about which I know very little, so I'll sit on the sidelines and provide periodic summaries of the inputs.

Comments

  • I'll start with carpets I know. Sun Kid and Magic Carpet. George at Bouquet also had two built by a conv. belt company named Kaiser. He had them custom made. I don't know if that maker he contracted ever made any more for other areas or not.
  • Off the top of my head:
    Doppelmayr: everything
    Poma: everything 
    Leitner: everything, acquired by Poma
    CTEC: fixed-grip and detachable chairlifts, successor to Thiokol, merged with Garaventa
    Thiokol: fixed-grip chairlifts (I think), sold that business to CTEC
    Garaventa: some gondolas etc. in US, merged with CTEC, then acquired by Doppelmayr
    Hall: fixed-grip chairlifts and T-bars, acquired by Von Roll
    Von Roll: aerial tramways and gondolas, acquired by Doppelmayr
    Constam: T-bars 

    And there's lots more but I should be working.

  • edited March 21


    Partek
    Bruckschlogl (tow lifts)
    Riblet
    Roebling
    Skytrac
    SLI
    Lift Engineering aka YAN
    Carlevaro & Savio
    Mueller
    Borvig
    Heron
    Stadeli

  • Von Roll also built fixed grip lifts and at least one detachable triple (former Adirondack Express at Gore)
  • ceo said:

    Off the top of my head:
    Doppelmayr: everything
    Poma: everything 
    Leitner: everything, acquired by Poma
    CTEC: fixed-grip and detachable chairlifts, successor to Thiokol, merged with Garaventa
    Thiokol: fixed-grip chairlifts (I think), sold that business to
    CTEC
    Garaventa: some gondolas etc. in US, merged with CTEC, then acquired by Doppelmayr
    Hall: fixed-grip chairlifts and T-bars, acquired by Von Roll
    Von Roll: aerial tramways and gondolas, acquired by Doppelmayr
    Constam: T-bars 

    And there's lots more but I should be working.



    Poma: everything. Acquired by Leitner...
    Leitner: Everything...
  • Valar- surface lifts (Mittersill, for one)
  • Wow!  I had no idea how many there were.  It may take me a bit of time to consolidate this thread into a reasonable summary.  In the meantime, keep 'em coming.
  • That list only goes back to 55 too. Quite a few manufacturers that built ski lifts before then were primarily in other industries like American Steel & Wire who built the single at MRG. 
    Ski it or die trying
  • Wow!  I had no idea how many there were.  It may take me a bit of time to consolidate this thread into a reasonable summary.  In the meantime, keep 'em coming.

    I doubt you never saw that list Josh.(lol)

    I like finding out about guys this Tbar maker at Tenney ( Tehu or terhu or however spelled) who worked with Stadelai( spelled wrong)

    Then there was that long story of Larry Jump, Jean Pomagalski, and the Carlevaro Savio , Telecar, discovery a while back.

    I'd like to hear and learn more of these "wars" of lift history discoveries and evolution and consolidation
  • ciscokid said:

    Wow!  I had no idea how many there were.  It may take me a bit of time to consolidate this thread into a reasonable summary.  In the meantime, keep 'em coming.

    I doubt you never saw that list Josh.(lol)

    I like finding out about guys this Tbar maker at Tenney ( Tehu or terhu or however spelled) who worked with Stadelai( spelled wrong)

    Then there was that long story of Larry Jump, Jean Pomagalski, and the Carlevaro Savio , Telecar, discovery a while back.

    I'd like to hear and learn more of these "wars" of lift history discoveries and evolution and consolidation
    No. Never did see that list and honestly - a subject about which I know very little.  
  • Valar- surface lifts (Mittersill, for one)


    Valar is the name of the lift. LST makes that t-bar and will be supplying the one at Waterville. LST manufactures all types of lifts and is just starting to enter the North American market.
    SkyTrans has manufactured a few new chairlifts.
    - Sam
  • edited March 22
    SkyTrans might be a stretch as they do not manufacturer new lifts from scratch per se. They rebuild lift components and reinstall them as a new installation. For instance, the NYS Fair Syracuse was built from components from Sugarloaf's Bucksaw. The relos at Waterville, Whaleback, etc.
  • newpylong said:

    SkyTrans might be a stretch as they do not manufacturer new lifts from scratch per se. They rebuild lift components and reinstall them as a new installation. For instance, the NYS Fair Syracuse was built from components from Sugarloaf's Bucksaw. The relos at Waterville, Whaleback, etc.


    A few years ago they built two new doubles at Detroit Mountain, MI.
    - Sam
  • edited March 22
    No. I've worked with them extensively, been to their shops, etc. The towers, chairs from those triples (not doubles), etc came from previous installations. I believe the chairs were Hall or Poma, the towers came from some amusement park. They do some fabrication, and some lifts certainly seem like new, but they do not start from the ground up on the steellike other manufacturers. The designs are new though using the existing components.

    But I guess this may be splitting hairs as they do enough to make the list? I guess I was thinking in the traditional sense of a true manufacturer and not an installer.
  • edited March 22
    Summary to date:
    Chairlifts as per http://www.skilifts.org/old/install_survey.htm supplemented by SJ inputs

    Alpine AG
    American Cable Link
    American Steel & Wire (single at MRG)
    Barrett
    Blue Mountain
    Borvig
    Brandle
    Bruckschlogl (tow lifts)
    Carlevaro/Savio
    Constam (Mostly T-Bars, but made 4 chairs between 1955 & 1964)
    COSMOS
    CTEC (fixed-grip and detachable chairlifts, successor to Thiokol, merged with Garaventa)
    CTEC/VonRoll
    Doppelmayr (More than just Chairlifts)
    Doppelmayr CTEC
    Garaventa (some gondolas etc. in US, merged with CTEC, then acquired by Doppelmayr)
    Garaventa CTEC
    Gifford Wood
    Goforth
    Hall (fixed-grip chairlifts and T-bars, acquired by Von Roll)
    Habegger: See VonRoll Harusch/Trans
    Heron Engineerng
    Heron - Hopkins
    Hjorth Bros.
    Hopkins
    Kaiser: (custom built two conveyor belts for Bousquet)
    Larchmont (Rail car)
    Leitner (More than just Chairlifts – acquired Poma)
    Leitner – Poma
    Link Belt
    Lift Engineering (aka: Yan)
    LSI surface lifts (Mittersill’s Valar T-Bar)
    Magic Carpet: (Carpet lifts)
    Miner Denver
    Mohawk
    Mueller
    Murray Latta
    Partek
    Pullman Berry
    Pohlig (e.g. Black Chair at Magic Mtn., VT)
    Poma - Telcar
    Poma (More than just Chairlifts)
    Heron - Poma
    Partek
    Poma - Canada
    Ramsey-Dearborn
    "Rice, B.A."
    Riblet
    Robins & White
    Roebling
    Samson
    Ski Lift Int'l (SLI)
    Skyway
    Skytrac
    Sneller
    Stadeli
    Stearns-Roger
    St. Lawrence
    Sun Kid: (Carpet lifts)
    Tebru (e.g. T-Bar at Tenney Mtn.)
    Telecar
    Thiokol (fixed-grip chairlifts, sold that business to CTEC)
    Tiegel
    Timberland-Ellicott
    United Tram
    Unknown
    VonRoll (Habegger) (aerial tramways and gondolas, acquired by Doppelmayr)
    Wilamette
    Yan (See: Lift Engineering)

    Additions or corrections?
  • Wow

    newpylong said:

    SkyTrans might be a stretch as they do not manufacturer new lifts from scratch per se. They rebuild lift components and reinstall them as a new installation. For instance, the NYS Fair Syracuse was built from components from Sugarloaf's Bucksaw. The relos at Waterville, Whaleback, etc.


    A few years ago they built two new doubles at Detroit Mountain, MI.
    Where is this Detroit mountain in Mich?
    I Believe it is in Minnesota or Wisconsin if I had to guess almost positive it would be Minnesota If I was a betting man
  • Here's the list of manufacturers which have at least one report on Remontees-Mecaniques:
    Many international manufacturers that haven't built in the United States.
  • ciscokid said:

    Wow

    newpylong said:

    SkyTrans might be a stretch as they do not manufacturer new lifts from scratch per se. They rebuild lift components and reinstall them as a new installation. For instance, the NYS Fair Syracuse was built from components from Sugarloaf's Bucksaw. The relos at Waterville, Whaleback, etc.


    A few years ago they built two new doubles at Detroit Mountain, MI.
    Where is this Detroit mountain in Mich?
    I Believe it is in Minnesota or Wisconsin if I had to guess almost positive it would be Minnesota If I was a betting man
    Pine Knob is the only hill I know of that has installed a new in the past 10 years or so in Metro Detroit
  • conrad said:

    Here's the list of manufacturers which have at least one report on Remontees-Mecaniques:

    Many international manufacturers that haven't built in the United States.
    I seemed to have open a can of worms.  I defer to the web site cited by Conrad.
  • Detroit Mt. Detroit Lakes MN
  • Treilly said:

    ciscokid said:

    Wow

    newpylong said:

    SkyTrans might be a stretch as they do not manufacturer new lifts from scratch per se. They rebuild lift components and reinstall them as a new installation. For instance, the NYS Fair Syracuse was built from components from Sugarloaf's Bucksaw. The relos at Waterville, Whaleback, etc.


    A few years ago they built two new doubles at Detroit Mountain, MI.
    Where is this Detroit mountain in Mich?
    I Believe it is in Minnesota or Wisconsin if I had to guess almost positive it would be Minnesota If I was a betting man
    Pine Knob is the only hill I know of that has installed a new in the past 10 years or so in Metro Detroit

    I did really mess that one up ;))
    They are triples and it is in Minnesota.
    - Sam
Sign In or Register to comment.