Rollbacks

The recent story about the rollback in Georgia was horrifying.  Just like plane crashes, they are extremely rare in the big picture of how many lift rides (and plane flights) occur all over the world every day.  Just how rare are they though?  I figure if anyone knows it's this group.  So I guess the questions are:
- How many significant rollbacks can you recount?
- Anybody know the actual stats of frequency?  Something like % of operating hours, or % of lifts, or % of lift rides.
- Frequency isn't everything.  Consequences count too. Any sense of injuries due to rollback? 

Comments

• The only one that I know of is Jiminy Peak’s Muller Double back in the early to mid 70’s
  • The only "significant" rollback event that I can remember was the King Pine lift rollback at Sugarloaf in 2015. I put significant in quotes as I believe the lift only rolled back four or five chairs. While this is still terrifying, it goes to show how rare this type of event is. Pulling from my 8 years in lift operations there are multiple safety systems that have to fail for something like this to occur. I also believe that our regulations in the US are a lot more stringent in order to try and prevent something like this from happening.
  • edited March 23
    As pointed out in another thread, this also happened at Wisconsin- Devil's Head in 2009

So:
    - Jiminy Peak’s Muller Double, early to mid 70’s
    - King Pine lift rollback at Sugarloaf, 2015
    - Wisconsin- Devil's Head, 2009
    - Recent one in Georgia
    - Plus who knows about other random foreign countries with less safety regs. 
  • Hyak, Washington Dinosaur Lift 1971