rickbolger's Mini Ski Safari 3/8-3/12

A couple key differences between this and the 4aprice Safari...

1. I didn't get any drinks on the plane

2.  Sandy ("the wife" in 4aprice vernacular) stayed home.  She was in the dark courtesy First Energy/Jersey Central Power & Lights' utter incompetence.   I felt a bit bad about that.  

3. I flew Southwest instead of United, so no extra charge for all my stuff.  It also means I avoided Newark Terminal C, which is something to keep in mind if you ever travel through Newark.

Anyway, trip started with Crested Butte.   Great ski resort.  Love it.  Hope to go back.

Photo below:  One of the old center pole doubles at CB.  They have a couple of these as far as I can tell; one is operating and I rode it here -- the other is on the main face and swings in the wind, they don't even show it on the trail map.  I skied under it.

Crested Butte has great on-mountain amenities.  Below is my buddy Mark bringing me the drinks that I didn't have on the plane.  Still no power at home at this point, but, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Crested Butte was on the MAX Pass, so I figured I could splurge for the drinks.

From there we went to Leadville, Colorado and skied the terribly underrated Ski Cooper.  They always have superior conditions to any other mountain I visit in Colorado, and this was no exception.  5-6" of fresh and simply wonderful.  My favorite ski area west of Black Mt NH.

Below is yours truly at Ski Cooper.  I was happy.

Below is my daughter Ally's dog, Cooper.  He's named for the ski area.  Cooper, not Copper.  

Cooper lives in Portland Maine.

From Cooper we drove north to Steamboat Spgs  (that's what the signs say)   Got to eyeball Beaver Creek for the first time, through all the mansions and development.  Not sure I'll ever ski there.

And on to Steamboat.  This was Sunday, same Sunday Alex referenced in his Safari report.  I think whether or not you like Steamboat depends if you are a city mouse or a country mouse.  I'm more of a country mouse, and I find the base area to be nightmarish.

Once you get out of the base area, you get to ski with 10,000 people from Texas, a small portion of whom may be seen below.

I have nothing against Texans, they tend to be nice people.  But I prefer to ski safely, so I kind of took refuge in the Pony Express area, which was icy.  It was like skiing at home, but with a handful of Texans here and there.

Then I went to the Bar UE chair, which Alex already showed photos of.  But what the heck, here's another...

So I would run the big open area off the summit down to Four Points, then go down Cyclone, repeat.  Except for the time I stopped at Four Points and had a bloody mary, as seen below.

After two days I flew home and slept on the plane, no drinks necessary.

:)]
crestedbutte1.jpg
907 x 659 - 456K
crestedbutte2.jpg
700 x 434 - 219K
cooper.jpg
896 x 554 - 298K
cooper the dog.jpg
700 x 882 - 423K
steamboat1.jpg
700 x 413 - 250K
steamboat3.jpg
700 x 480 - 278K
steamboat2.jpg
700 x 525 - 303K

Comments

• Nice report. Cooper's the best lookin' "Dog" in the report. ;)
    Looks like there was more Texan's at CB than spines on a porcupine.
  • Awesome, wish I had known you were there, we could have had a couple. Hear nothing but great things about Crested Butte and a little sorry I didn't get there on Max as I will probably go Ikon Next year (going Epic next year Rick?)  Will miss Okemo and Sunapee too.  

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • Nice Rick, glad to see an old center pole still exists in Colorado.
    Is that bar ue lift a Heron Poma?

Never skied Crested, was a long drive around to get there
    Funny 2 Sussex county neighbor boys at Steamboat not even sharing a drink, well I'll be in NJ the end of April, maybe we can share one and hear some tales
  • Always nice to see some pictures from out West, thanks for sharing.
    - Sam
  • Great shots! Heard of Cooper but never anyone who skied there. Where did the rest of Texas go for the weekend? 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited March 22
    Our trips coincided with something called "Texas School Vacation Week" which is kind of like school vacation week in New England, only bigger.   Everywhere was gearing up for the onslaught, I just happened to be at Steamboat when it hit.

Texas dads think their family can tackle any terrain, but Texas moms aren't so sure.  Steamboat has a six pack out of the base area that has a novice unload station, makes a turn and goes on up to other terrain.  The dads say "let's stay on" and the moms say "no let's get off here" and the kids look back and forth, awaiting orders.  So mom wins, naturally, and they get off at mid station and pile on top of the fallen family from the chair ahead of them.  I've never been on a detachable chair that stopped so many times.

Then you get a few on a trail, and even though they don't ski very well, they act like they are back in Dallas in their black Suburbans, and you can't get past them.  

I've skied Colorado a bunch, this was my first time in early March with all the nice folks from the Lone Star State.  I'll be reverting to Jan/Feb for any future safaris.   But different strokes, right?  If you enjoy places like Disney World with the energy of big crowds, crowded lodges, cranky children, and jovial chit chat on long lines, Texas School Vacation Week is the ideal time to go.

• Our trips coincided with something called "Texas School Vacation Week" which is kind of like school vacation week in New England, only bigger.   Everywhere was gearing up for the onslaught, I just happened to be at Steamboat when it hit.

Texas dads think their family can tackle any terrain, but Texas moms aren't so sure.  Steamboat has a six pack out of the base area that has a novice unload station, makes a turn and goes on up to other terrain.  The dads say "let's stay on" and the moms say "no let's get off here" and the kids look back and forth, awaiting orders.  So mom wins, naturally, and they get off at mid station and pile on top of the fallen family from the chair ahead of them.  I've never been on a detachable chair that stopped so many times.

Then you get a few on a trail, and even though they don't ski very well, they act like they are back in Dallas in their black Suburbans, and you can't get past them.  

I've skied Colorado a bunch, this was my first time in early March with all the nice folks from the Lone Star State.  I'll be reverting to Jan/Feb for any future safaris.   But different strokes, right?  If you enjoy places like Disney World with the energy of big crowds, crowded lodges, cranky children, and jovial chit chat on long lines, Texas School Vacation Week is the ideal time to go.

Don't miss out on Oklahoma School Vacation Week next year! :-)