Magic Blackchair

Why not replace it with a surface lift?

Comments

• Bondman said:

Why not replace it with a surface lift?

Too long.
  • and ledge
  • How much would a new or used double or triple run the area? About a million? I know there are a lot of factors involved in this type of thing. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • I never gave much thought to the surface lift till now.. but they could certainly run one up to where Witch dumps out.  Long; yes. Practical, yes.

Better yet.. that quad at Stratton would be a shoe-in there! (oh, its only money ;) )

D
  • If a skier has "soul" he would embrace a surface lift. A brand new lift that reliably runs all the time. No wind holds. Top half of the mountain. Starts where green lift ends. Can give red lift a day off sometimes. 
  • That would go over well with the snowboarders
  • Well the black chair is down right now, so this might be a good time to stuff the suggestion box

• edited March 22
    The logical move is a fixed grip replacement of Black in the same arrangement. There are several lifts coming up for potential sale, if the numbers work I am sure they will take it under consideration. Probably worth putting Green on the back burner again if required.
  • It would be great if they could finally send that black chair back to Mordor 

• Though I agree surface lifts are terrific in windy weather. it is tough to run a surface lift if little natural snow, which Magic faces much of the time. Aerial allows operation if only manmade trails on line. Plus, riding a relatively steep t-bar for a mile or so is pretty rough... 
  • I'd love to own a steep enough hill that's long enough to justify a T-bar! 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • It is 1 mile and 1500 vertical and steep at the end when your legs start to shake. That is a big no.
    ;)
    Plattekill's t-bar was about 3000 feet long and 1000 vertical and it was a leg killer.
  • Though I agree surface lifts are terrific in windy weather. it is tough to run a surface lift if little natural snow, which Magic faces much of the time. Aerial allows operation if only manmade trails on line. Plus, riding a relatively steep t-bar for a mile or so is pretty rough... 

If there is no natural snow, Magic won't need to run Black as Red won't have a line.

When there is good natural snow, Magic needs a second lift. 

That said, I think it would be preferable to replace Blacks engine rather than replace it with a surface lift that only goes to Witch and can only access a few trails...
  • edited March 22
    Just out of curiosity, is a poma easier on the legs than a T-bar for a long line. I Only have ridden short lengths of each type
  • Poma's are easier for skiers.  Okemo had one over 6000'.(and $5 midweek tickets in the 70's).
  • flbski said:

Poma's are easier for skiers.  Okemo had one over 6000'.(and $5 midweek tickets in the 70's).

Okemo had something like 5 pomas. When I was a little kid we used to get some good air when they released the poma you were riding.
  • Murray Ridge and Troll in BC are both over 1700 vert and t-bar only. So it can be done. The upper part of black would be pretty crazy though. Would no doubt need a lot of regrading.
  • FlyingZ said:

Just out of curiosity, is a poma easier on the legs than a T-bar for a long line. I Only have ridden short lengths of each type

Pomas easier on my body for sure. I prefer to have a partner on a t-bar if riding one all day. Keeps it balanced. Much more comfortable, at least for me.

• at one time Okemo had 7 poma's.
  • In order for Black to run correctly it really should be converted back to a double as the uphill capacity would increase actually and it was never engineered to be upgraded to a triple which is why it has so many issues.
  • jaytrem said:

FlyingZ said:

Pomas easier on my body for sure. I prefer to have a partner on a t-bar if riding one all day. Keeps it balanced. Much more comfortable, at least for me.

As a kid, whenever I used to ride a T-bar solo, I'd straddle it...similar to the way I sit in the center of a chair and straddle the safety bar if riding it solo.

• flbski said:

Poma's are easier for skiers.  Okemo had one over 6000'.(and $5 midweek tickets in the 70's).

I loved that lift.  Just about all in the woods, too, so riders were well-protected from the weather.  As you rode, sometimes all you'd hear was the whispering swish of your skis being pulled through the snow.

Not hard on my adolescent legs, and my 40+ year-old dad didn't complain either.

Woody
  • There was the Poma at North Lynx-- not sure how long that was. And then there was the one at Pico on skier's left as well. if anyone wants a pair of Dynamic VR17 skis, I can give you an approximate location of them below that old Poma line. 
    Greg Stump
  • bmwskier said:

There was the Poma at North Lynx-- not sure how long that was. And then there was the one at Pico on skier's left as well. if anyone wants a pair of Dynamic VR17 skis, I can give you an approximate location of them below that old Poma line. 

The one at Pico was Giant Killer....tough ride.

The ones at Hickory are (were 
    :((  fun). The lower one lifted you off the ground just above midstation.

• I remember skiing the North Lynx poma, '74, '75, '76?.....3000'?...800" vertical?
  • flbski said:

I remember skiing the North Lynx poma, '74, '75, '76?.....3000'?...800" vertical?

Me too- I remember it being fast...
  • Mt_Tom said:

In order for Black to run correctly it really should be converted back to a double as the uphill capacity would increase actually and it was never engineered to be upgraded to a triple which is why it has so many issues.

They do run it as a double, but the chair weight may still lead to issues.
    - Sam
  • I remember the Giant Killer one lifting me off of the ground at one point. Definitely not a beginner lift. I did North Lynx at a telemark festival with leather boots, three pin bindings and 210 cm backcountry skis. 
    Greg Stump
  • Mt_Tom said:

In order for Black to run correctly it really should be converted back to a double as the uphill capacity would increase actually and it was never engineered to be upgraded to a triple which is why it has so many issues.

They do run it as a double, but the chair weight may still lead to issues.
    Double chairs not triple chairs the uphill capacity is lower with the triple chairs since they are heavier as they have less chairs then it had with double chairs.
  • I'm surprised I wasn't permanently sterilized after riding Giant Killer.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.