Middlebury AND Cochrans AND Bolton-- all in one day...

OK, I know this was a bit pyscho....

Spent the afternoon with a friend at Middlebury. Only two chairs spinning but it didn't matter. We hadn't seen each other since middle school so it was well worth it. Took as many runs as we could on a virtually empty mountain with mid winter conditions. The trails were well covered with the usual one half groomed and the other half not style that I remembered from my earlier visit to Midd. 30 bucks for a half day was well worth it for me. Unfortunately child pick up called my friend away so I started to head home on Route 100. 

Once I got to the junction of 100 and route 2, I realized that it was four and Cochran's had been open for an hour. I was feeling pretty good, so I turned west instead of east. Cochran's is a hoot and a half! The people there are wicked friendly, there are lessons all over the place ant the beautiful sound of a T-bar echoes in the small area. The rhythmic banging of gates as the next Olympic hopefuls schuss their way down also is present and the hum of 89 is also there too. The skiing was amazing, even when I got caught in some untracked cement next to one trail. In the photos, there's a picture of a sled that I have never seen before-- the blue one came from Richmond Tow and was modified. It isn't a Cascade or a Shur Stop so if anyone knows, I'd love to find out. 

Cochran's closes at six so I decided that since the new boots were feeling good, I might as well try some night skiing at Bolton before they closed for the season. Once again, mid winter conditions (including cold) prevailed with the exception of the extended daylight hours. It's been years since I night skied last, so it was a surreal experience. I used to work nights at Holiday Valley, but this was much different. There are only two lit ways down from the summit-- an expert's slope and the easiest way down. I alternated between the two, dodging two bus loads of teenagers who were out and about. No crowds at all and a beautiful view to the west. Staff was awesome, though the food left something to be desired. The "quarter pounder" was a big burger-- and that was it-- ground beef and a bun-- the only fixings I could find were ketchup, mayo and mustard. The fries I thought might have promise as they were crispy and warm but it was clear that they were fried in the same oil as fish must've been fried in as it had that aftertaste. Not good. 

Took a few more runs in the dark and then when I said to myself "one more..." I packed it in for the night. It's always that "one more" that puts people in a sled! 
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
100_0053.jpg
1280 x 960 - 138K
100_0054.jpg
1280 x 960 - 164K
100_0057.jpg
1280 x 960 - 140K
100_0061.jpg
1280 x 960 - 117K
100_0070.jpg
1280 x 960 - 107K
100_0072.jpg
1280 x 960 - 110K
100_0073.jpg
1280 x 960 - 182K
100_0075.jpg
1280 x 960 - 90K
100_0080.jpg
1280 x 960 - 96K
100_0082.jpg
1280 x 960 - 107K
100_0084.jpg
1280 x 960 - 110K
100_0087.jpg
1280 x 960 - 120K
100_0085.jpg
1280 x 960 - 113K
"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
Greg Stump

Comments

• I did Sugarbush, Middlebury and Bradford in one day with my brother years ago.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• Diehards!
    Great work, nice report of the smaller guys
  • I just looked at the Bradford website-- looks like a pretty neat area that close to Boston. I imagine they're pretty happy now with the snow that's been coming their way. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • bmwskier said:

I just looked at the Bradford website-- looks like a pretty neat area that close to Boston. I imagine they're pretty happy now with the snow that's been coming their way. 

We are currently past our regular closing date, but may reopen this weekend.
    - Sam
  • Great report and pictures !!
  • What's the vertical at Titcomb?. Nice report and great pics. People can, and have done, and do, some very enjoyable skiing at those small areas. And lots of very good skiers got their starts at places like Titcomb. They're of great benefit to the ski industry and it would be nice if some of them on the NELSAP list could make a come-back.
  • Bill29 said:

What's the vertical at Titcomb?. Nice report and great pics. People can, and have done, and do, some very enjoyable skiing at those small areas. And lots of very good skiers got their starts at places like Titcomb. They're of great benefit to the ski industry and it would be nice if some of them on the NELSAP list could make a come-back.

Wrong report

But Titcomb has a vertical of 340'
    - Sam
  • I shouldn't type anything anywhere until I wake up in the morning. Thanks for the answer, but does this mean I'll be moved back from expert to novice? Or am I allowed one screw-up a month?
  • Bill29 said:

I shouldn't type anything anywhere until I wake up in the morning. Thanks for the answer, but does this mean I'll be moved back from expert to novice? Or am I allowed one screw-up a month?

I'm pretty sure you're tenured on SJ, Bill. Nothing to worry about. Image result for thumbs up icon