Titcomb Mountain 3/21/2018

edited March 22 in Trip Reports Posts: 2,349
Yesterday I visited UMaine Farmington and spent an hour and a half skiing Titcomb in the afternoon. I showed up just as it opened at 3:00 and it was obvious that there was a ton of snow there. There were no bare patches and nothing looked thin at all. All trails were open, but only the #2 T-Bar was running. This T-bar is a Constam, originally built in 1953 at Cannon and was a smooth ride. This meant that to access the trails on skier's right, you had to walk uphill a bit at the top and at the base to get back. It was relatively busy and there was sometimes a line to get on the lift. The snow was excellent packed powder with everything ungroomed being wet powder. The mountain has an excellent variety of terrain, more than what would be expected from a mountain of that size. There was a good terrain park, nice beginner terrain, fun glades, soft moguls on The Main, and some very steep and narrow stuff towards skier's right. The T-bar was fast and I was able to get in a good number of runs at this fun smaller area. It's very cheap and I recommend stopping in to anyone in the area.

The Main & Otter SlideimageNumber 2 T-Bar and Handle TowimageNumber 2 T-BarimageNumber 2 T-BarimageNumber 2 T-BarimageTop of the Number 2 T-BarimageUpper FoximageOtter SlideimageNumber One T-BarimageForster's ForestimageNumber Two T-Barimage
- Sam
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 455K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 529K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 612K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 599K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 574K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 567K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 461K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 484K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 600K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 527K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 544K

Comments

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    great report, thanks!    when I was there they had a rowboat as a feature in the sort-of terrain park, any sign of that?

• newpylongnewpylong expert
    Place looks great.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    I skied there with my son on January 16th, 2016 with 4" of fresh powder. Sadly that was the best day of the season that awful year, even better than Sugarloaf the next day.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• edited March 22 Posts: 2,349

great report, thanks!    when I was there they had a rowboat as a feature in the sort-of terrain park, any sign of that?

I didn't see it, but they had a lot of features including a small cross course.
    - Sam
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited March 22 Posts: 2,245
    Your the best Sam, if only Conrad would be so aggressive
    I know he has been there a few years back when he was in college but just does not post as aggressively, sorry Conrad I love you man

Wow a Constam! How much older is the one Jeremy D rode in Quebec?
  • conradconrad intermediate
    Nice, UMF is my alma mater and I had a few good days there back during my old school days! Great little hill and love the old diesel powered lifts. This one certainly has some Hall parts incorporated too, but a classic old lift!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Now 3 people from Massachusetts have been there...
    You truly are a New England Skier
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

Now 3 people from Massachusetts have been there...
    You truly are a New England Skier

I still haven't skied outside of New England. Our trip to Plattekill in February was cancelled because of rain.
    - Sam