Opinions please?

And fun is allowed too.

From now through April 22, I've got 4 1/2 weekends left to ski this year  (1/2 because I will not ski Easter)  I've got tickets to burn  My choices?  (from South to North) Bellearyre, Windham, Stratton, Okemo,(4)  Mt Sunapee,(3) Gore, Pico, Killington, Whiteface and Loon.(3) (ie Max Pass)   

Keep in mind a couple of things, 1. I would like to keep 2 Killington in reserve for the April 21-22 weekend which will be the hard end of my season.  2. This is weekend warrior stuff, no weekdays. 3. I generally like to spend weekends at one area but combination trips are never out of the loop.   

I'd like to get some opinions, Where would you go?  And local knowledge about current conditions is always helpful.  

Alex 

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Comments

• I'd go south to north....more likely the souther places will lose snow faster than northern ones
  • I would get to Pico very soon because they usually close soon and it is far more fun with lots of natural snow.
    - Sam
  • Is Sunday River out of the question?  I know you have a long drive and that even Loon is pretty far for you.  But SR is "only" another 1.5hrs and probably well worth extra time.  Could even stay in Lincoln-ish, trek to Sunday River for Saturday, then catch Loon on Sunday before going back.  Easy for me to say, but I later season SR really does have more to offer tha others. 
  • I would get to Pico very soon because they usually close soon and it is far more fun with lots of natural snow.

I agree 100%
  • Pico-- once it starts to melt it's all over and the Pike and 49er are a lot of fun with natural snow. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • If there are any, or one, on that list that you have not skied before, maybe you could give them, or it, a try.
  • Gore and Pico love to keep lifts closed. At least you can do a bit of hikes at Pico to reach every trail. Every report I've read about Gore people seem shortchanged. Either way you seem like you have plenty of good choices.
  • I'd go south to north....more likely the souther places will lose snow faster than northern ones

There's a lot to like about this strategy.  I am most likely going to hit Belleayre or Windham next Saturday because of the need to be home Easter Sunday.  Think I want to be north of that this coming weekend.

Cannonball, after driving all over the west my tolerance for being behind the wheel is fading.  I have a buddy who has a place at Sunday River and I'm trying  to get him to maybe meet me at Loon. He may be a big determining factor in me making a 2nd trip up to Lincoln either this weekend or the weekend of April 7th. I think Loon is my limit.

All the areas I have been to.

Appreciate all the Pico votes,  Here;s a question, whats the recon on Sunapee these days?  Weather' supposed to be decent, could see the Sunapee Beach in action.  Maybe at Sunapee/Pico combination with a stay in White River?  

Really undecided right now.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

• And the winner is...      (for this weekend)

Stratton Mountain Resort.

Reasons:  Shorter drive, woods open along with everything else, good hotel choice.

One of the Catskill areas next Saturday, and then a 2nd trip to Lincoln NH the weekend of the 7th.

Got Killington on the docket for the 21st and 22nd, leaving one weekend (14th and 15th) to play with.  I'll open up the question again approaching that one.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

• Tomorrow just freed up for me and this thread got me thinking about Pico.  I have never been there before.  2 question.. 1) are there moguls?  I don't need a mountain full but I would like at least a couple lines and 2) how are lift lines typically?

Thank you!

Chris
  • edited March 24
    1) Wish I could help u but I went 2 yrs ago during a bad snow event and a couple years or so before that. Before that perhaps 10 times in many decades.
    Yes there can be moguls but nothing like u'd find next door.
    2) Not a regular but I don't ever recall bad lines.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Thank you for the help! I think I’m going to give it a try. Somewhere new will be fun
  • I considered Killington but I’m paying walk up rate and don’t want to pay $115. They will be getting my money soon enough in May and hopefully June
  • shpride said:

Tomorrow just freed up for me and this thread got me thinking about Pico.  I have never been there before.  2 question.. 1) are there moguls?  I don't need a mountain full but I would like at least a couple lines and 2) how are lift lines typically?

Thank you!

Chris

When I visted last year around this time, there were moguls all over the place, especially on Outpost and Little Pico. Pico is a lot of fun
    - Sam
  • Pico was a great time! Thanks for the responses and sorry for hijacking the OP’s thread
  • shpride said:

Pico was a great time! Thanks for the responses and sorry for hijacking the OP’s thread

Glad you enjoyed your day. Did you find many bumps? Lots of real nice ones at Mount Snow today. Was surprised since I was expecting thaw/freeze moguls.

Quechee and Whaleback tomorrow! 2 new ones for me, very excited!

Alex, how was Stratton? Would expect similar to MS.
  • jaytrem said:

shpride said:

Pico was a great time! Thanks for the responses and sorry for hijacking the OP’s thread

Glad you enjoyed your day. Did you find many bumps? Lots of real nice ones at Mount Snow today. Was surprised since I was expecting thaw/freeze moguls.

Whaleback should be fun, I will be there as well.
    - Sam
  • There were moguls. My favorites were on Summit Glade and anything in the Outlaw area. Trees were in good shape as well. Liftlines were nonexistent. Never waited more than a minute or two. I’ll be back there again.

Whaleback looked in great shape from 89
  • jaytrem said:

shpride said:

Just back.

Stratton was excellent.  Pretty busy (but not out of control) Saturday but pretty empty today.  Plenty of bumps but better then that was the woods at Stratton were basically all open.  Will do a short version report later with some pics.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • shpride said:

I considered Killington but I’m paying walk up rate and don’t want to pay $115. They will be getting my money soon enough in May and hopefully June

I think they have a spring pass now with a pretty decent price