Trip Report/ Chair lift question Big Squaw 3-23-2018

MrMagicMrMagic advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 138
3-23-2018
Big Squaw
Packed Powder/ Wet powder
blue sky's and mid 40's

Super happy to have made the trip up to Big Squaw  taking my total of number of ski areas left in New England down to six! 
Good amount of people there for a Friday all trails on the lower mountain were open with various amounts of grooming. the place is buried with snow. 
My plan had been to ski the lower open mountain in the morning then snowshoes up to the old abandon upper lodge/hotel and ski lift but i was surprised that two open trails; Penobscot and  Fitzgarald winded their way through the old abandon area.
I cant tell you how creepy it was  floating by the old base lodge and 4 story  hotel. I skied all the trails but did Penobscot trail quite a few times for the chill factor.

I am putting this report in the NELSAP forum as I  have a chair lift question you will see in the pictures below a piece of equipment mounted to the tower of the old double chair my question is what is that for? I kinda, semi remember something similar attached to the old center pole quad chair at Powder Ridge when they were converting it to a triple chair but i could be mistaken. My guess is that it is used to hoist or help remove the sleeve trains from  the tower?  Also I peaked into the old base lodge and saw all the old grips from the double lined up on the floor, even more creepy as it was one of those grips that failed and caused two chair to fall and the chair to derail ending the upper mountain operation. 

big s 2.jpg
784 x 588 - 125K
big s 3.jpg
784 x 588 - 211K
big s 4.jpg
849 x 637 - 80K
big s 5.jpg
441 x 588 - 59K
big s 6.jpg
441 x 588 - 84K
big s 7.jpg
441 x 588 - 60K
big s 8.jpg
441 x 588 - 91K
big s 9.jpg
784 x 588 - 90K

Comments

It's a lifting frame which a hoist is attached to. The hoist can be used for the sheaves or haul rope.
    - Sam
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Beautiful pics of lake!
    How long a hike to summit?
    I saw video of someone skiing the Penobscot trail a few years back, Sel Hannah would be proud of you!
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    ciscokid said:

Beautiful pics of lake!
    How long a hike to summit?
    I saw video of someone skiing the Penobscot trail a few years back, Sel Hannah would be proud of you!

Thank you
    Only about 30 min from the old hotel a great bootpack/snow shoe pack made for some very easy snow shoeing
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    That upper mountain has always had me drooling in pictures.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    newpylong said:

That upper mountain has always had me drooling in pictures.

Not Tahoe but...,image
    IMG_4468.JPG
    458 x 288 - 110K
  • newmannewman advanced
    It's used to kick up the rope and hold it so wheels can be changed. Most towers have these on them now standard. Bouquet built the whole assembly with these, rails and catwalks and craned them up and mounted them to the top of towers. If you don't have a full setup like I mentioned, it's scary just balancing on the top crossarm. Or you had to put the work chair on the line.