Whaleback 3/25/2018

I finally got to ski Whaleback while it is 100% open! It skis like such a bigger mountain than many think and there is so much terrain variety. They were doing good buisness and there were a good number of people on the mountain, but there were never lines at the lifts. All trails and lifts (except magic carpet) were open. Groomed trails had excellent cover and were hard-packed powder. Ungroomed trails started a little hard, but quickly softened up for fun bump skiing. Woods were soft all day, but you had to keep an eye out for numerous rocks in many glades. I only did a few groomed runs all day, because the woods and moguls were skiing so well, and there were so many other options besides the core groomed terrain. Fluke and Jonah's Revenge are fun natural snow trails which aren't too steep. Face, Blowhole, and Jawbone are excellent black/double black bump runs which will make the legs burn, but are so much fun. Some glades that stand out to me are Belly Up, which leads to Jawbone, Kraken, which is a long, tight, and steep hardwood glade off Blowhole, and Y.O.O.Y.M., which is a signature double black hemlock glade with a double fall line, interesting topography, and a steep pitch. The sun really warmed things up and it felt like spring while not being too hot. Whaleback will be closing next weekend, so this will likely be my last day there this year. It has been an excellent season for them and I'm glad I was a season pass holder.

Summit Double & FaceimageSummit DoubleimageIvory Run & FlukeimageFlukeimageSummit Double & FaceimageWest Side T-BarimageFace & Summit DoubleimageJawboneimageKrakenimageKrakenimageY.O.O.Y.M. Entrance (I'm on viewer's right)imageY.O.O.Y.MimageY.O.O.Y.M.image
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 514K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 516K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 507K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 612K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 594K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 542K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 483K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 506K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 533K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 496K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 517K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 579K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 510K
- Sam

Comments

• Sam we do these time consuming reports and nobody can even say "nice report". I'm getting discouraged.

Well great report doggonit!
  • Thanks for the report!  I have never been to Whaleback and this report gave me a much better idea of what the mountain is all about.  It is on my soon to do list.  I donate $50 a year which I justify as my lift ticket price if I went.
  • shpride said:

Thanks for the report!  I have never been to Whaleback and this report gave me a much better idea of what the mountain is all about.  It is on my soon to do list.  I donate $50 a year which I justify as my lift ticket price if I went.

Good to hear!
    Also, you can look at some of my other reports from this year:
    - http://snowjournal.com/discussion/1563/whaleback-12-17-2017
    - http://snowjournal.com/discussion/1595/whaleback-12-28-2017
    - http://snowjournal.com/discussion/1605/dartmouth-skiway-whaleback-12-31-2017
    - http://snowjournal.com/discussion/1734/whaleback-2-23-2018
    - Sam
  • terrific report!   I went there for the first time *with* 100% open a bit over a week ago - SUPER fun place!!!!
  • edited March 26
    Nice report! 
    Someone just a few weeks ago before all the storms was asking me how this mtn compared to others in the area and I'm like, "Well if it was fully open it could be pretty gnarly." I've yet to hit it fully open as well. Someday 
    :((
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Glad you had a great day there, nice report!  Mine was cut short.  Both kids are a bit under the weather (one puked in the lodge).  We only managed to get 3 runs in on the double and one on the t-bar.  Did get a nice feel for the place though, can't wait to get back there again.

Attitash went better today, made it from 10-3:30.  One kids is wiped out now, and that never happens.