Has there ever been a better March in the north east?

edited March 26 in NELSAP Forum
With about four nor'easter's this month and all the great trip reports I've been seeing from you blessed people in the Northeast and New England in your memory has there ever been a better March on record?

Comments

• March is usually the best month.  Maybe 93 with the Super Storm matches this one.   

Its not only here but out west rebounded as well and If Joe Bastardi is correct "it ain't over yet" 

All I know is my confidence in being able to ski straight through till April 23rd is rising daily.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • edited March 26
    I don't keep immaculate notes and my memory is crap.  But I'm pretty sure that March in 2011, 2013, and 2014 were on par with this one.  The difference this year is that represents a significant turnaround, so it feel especially epic. Those other years were already good going into March. 
  • edited March 26
    March 2007 was great, especially after such a poor winter. I recall waist deep snow in the woods at Sunday River and kids jumping into snowbanks from second story Windows in Bethel.

The great conditions continued into April with Saddleback closing on April 7th with a 60" base and 100% opened. From that point it snowed 100" at Sugarloaf in the next 10 days, which remains the deepest snow I've ever skied in the East.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• I'm sure there have been better March in the past for total snowfall and overall conditions. I agree with Cannonball that the turnaround saved the season and makes it feel that much better than it would have been during an above average season. As good as March has been, the last week does not appear to be offering any additional storms. One more big storm would have put this month into the "all time" category for March. Though I do think March included one of the all time best 10 day stretches that I have experienced (and I only got to experience half of it due to an injury).
  • edited March 26
    Early April may produce a storm and the first week of the month or so look cold.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• edited March 26
    March 1969 when Pinkham Notch received 77" at the end of February but I suspect that predates some of ya'll.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • I'm sure there have been better March in the past for total snowfall and overall conditions. I agree with Cannonball that the turnaround saved the season and makes it feel that much better than it would have been during an above average season. As good as March has been, the last week does not appear to be offering any additional storms. One more big storm would have put this month into the "all time" category for March. Though I do think March included one of the all time best 10 day stretches that I have experienced (and I only got to experience half of it due to an injury).
    I agree with all of this.  But the bolded part is the real key, and that might even be the better theme for his thread.  March 8-17 was just off the charts.  I skied/rode 8 out of those 10 day .  With March 14 being one of the all time greatest days I can remember in New England.  
  • ski_it said:

March 1969 when Pinkham Notch received 77" at the end of February but I suspect that predates some of ya'll.

Hmmm, I was born 9 months after that.  Would love to think that I'm the product of an historic snowstorm!!! 
  • edited March 26
    ciscokid said:

With about four nor'easter's this month and all the great trip reports I've been seeing from you blessed people in the Northeast and New England in your memory has there ever been a better March on record?

You guys have a short memory!!!  Last March was as good!  March '69 was a good one too.
  • Sometime in the late 90s or very early 2000s there was a great spring season. I remember Burke closed on April 1...not due to snow (4+ foot base) but due to lack of customers.
  • Best March in terms of new snow for a long period. Today and tomorrow will be the capper- bluebird skies and incredible snow. End of the week looks not so great but will still be very good at most places on the weekend and beyond.

Thank you, March!
  • Betsy makes a good point-- there are a lot of areas that close early because their customer base stops coming-- spring is going on back home and the thoughts of skiing fade in the face of lawn chores, cleaning up, baseball, etc, etc. The crowds at Sugarbush the past few weeks have at least indicated that isn't happening for now. We had full parking lots last weekend without a problem and people on the chair all the way to sweep-- and that's a good sign!

Sunday is last day for Mt Ellen if anyone wants to get over there this season! :-) 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited March 27
    Here in NVT we don't have to guess, or keep records, UVM does that for us, and while this March is good, 1969 and 2000 are the years to measure against.

http://waw.w3.uvm.edu/empactdata/gendateplot.php?table=SummitStation&title=Mount+Mansfield+Summit+Station&xskip=7&xparam=Date&yparam=Depth&year%5B%5D=1968&year%5B%5D=2000&year%5B%5D=2017&width=800&height=600&smooth=0&csv=0&totals=0
  • bmwskier said:

Betsy makes a good point-- there are a lot of areas that close early because their customer base stops coming-- spring is going on back home and the thoughts of skiing fade in the face of lawn chores, cleaning up, baseball, etc, etc. The crowds at Sugarbush the past few weeks have at least indicated that isn't happening for now. We had full parking lots last weekend without a problem and people on the chair all the way to sweep-- and that's a good sign!

Sunday is last day for Mt Ellen if anyone wants to get over there this season! :-) 
    My hunch is that with the possibility of a little liquid falling from the sky at various points this weekend, plus Sunday being Easter, where many day tripper folks may have family obligations, that this weekend won't be very busy (especially compared to the last few) and that for many of the day trip crowd, the combo of  not going this weekend, the fact the calendar changes to April on Sunday, and kids spring sports getting going will see the annual rapid fall off in crowds that occurs towards the end of the season happen....
  • One interesting observation - the average high for February in Glens Falls NY was 37.9 degrees..while for March it has been 38.4 degrees, very unusual to have such a small temperature change from Feb-Mar. February was a warm month for sure, 5.4 degrees above normal.

In Albany it has been even more dramatic - February 2018's high was 41.6 degrees, while March 2018 is 39.0 - so March has been COLDER than February...extremely unusual.
  • ski it, March '69 doesn't precede me. Damn little does. I remember it well. That 77 inches in Pinkham Notch fell over four days, I believe. That season Mt. Washington got 566 inches of snow. I swam in Saco Bay in Maine July 4 that year and skied in Tuckerman Ravine on a big snow pack on July 6. It was one fine finish to a season.
  • teighs said:

Here in NVT we don't have to guess, or keep records, UVM does that for us, and while this March is good, 1969 and 2000 are the years to measure against.

http://waw.w3.uvm.edu/empactdata/gendateplot.php?table=SummitStation&title=Mount+Mansfield+Summit+Station&xskip=7&xparam=Date&yparam=Depth&year%5B%5D=1968&year%5B%5D=2000&year%5B%5D=2017&width=800&height=600&smooth=0&csv=0&totals=0

This chart really highlights the point that RiverC0il and I were making.  There have been better Marches in terms of overall base depths and conditions.  But this March was notable for its substantial snowfall and its impact on the overall season. That huge jump on ~3/8 is bigger than those other 2 reference years, even if it didn't bring us up to the same overall base depths
  • Im at Berkshire East right now and it's deserted.

• bmwskier said:

Betsy makes a good point-- there are a lot of areas that close early because their customer base stops coming-- spring is going on back home and the thoughts of skiing fade in the face of lawn chores, cleaning up, baseball, etc, etc. The crowds at Sugarbush the past few weeks have at least indicated that isn't happening for now. We had full parking lots last weekend without a problem and people on the chair all the way to sweep-- and that's a good sign!

Tell the snow to hang in there for another week. (LOL)  I'll be there on the 5-8

• Tell the snow to hang in there for another week. (LOL)  I'll be there on the 5-8

I'll do my best-- perhaps they'll run the Lincoln Limo over to MEllen for the folks to ski while the snow lasts. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited March 28
    ski it, March '69 doesn't precede me. Damn little does. I remember it well. That 77 inches in Pinkham Notch fell over four days, I believe. That season Mt. Washington got 566 inches of snow. I swam in Saco Bay in Maine July 4 that year and skied in Tuckerman Ravine on a big snow pack on July 6. It was one fine finish to a season.

I get what Cannonball & rivercoil, etc are saying. It sounds like was a damn fine month in 2018 VT and N NH.

Bill, I might have skied Gunstock that March of '69.  I'm none too sure as it could have been '67-69... 

Snow measured in feet:

The 1969 storm has some impressive snowfall totals. Normally, snowfall in this country is measured in inches.  Mt. Washington in New Hampshire had over 8 feet of snow during the storm. On February 25 alone, Mt. Washington had over 4 feet of snow: 49.3 inches, which is still the one-day record. That contributed to the February 1969 monthly total of 172.8 inches (over 14 feet), which is still their monthly record.

The map shows the widespread area of snowfall in excess of 30.” Pinkham Notch had 77,” Boston 26.3,” Portland, ME, 26.9,” and Concord, NH had 28.0” of snowfall. The primary reason for the high snowfall totals was that the storm causing all of this havoc was very slow moving, allowing snow to accumulate to these record and near-record amounts. Most of the accumulating snow in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine fell on the four days from 24 through 27 February. Hence this storm is sometimes known as the “100-Hour Snowstorm of February 1969.”  https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/beyond-data/100-hour-snowstorm-february-1969

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • March, April and May were all great in Maine and New Hampshire in 1969. I skied at Sugarloaf in mid-May that year and don't remember a bare spot on the mountain. I believe  Sugarloaf got 325 inches of snow that season.  The snow was up almost to the cable of a t-bar. After they dug it out, we rode it between snow walls six or more feet deep.
    I talked to a guy who owned a single-story camp in North New Portland, near Sugarloaf. He said he went in to it on a snowmobile in March and all he could see of it was the chimney and part of the roof. The rest was buried.
  • All of these reports about how much snow we used to have reminded me of an article I read a while ago about the sport fishing industry in Florida and the decline of large fish being caught. Makes me think that we're not the only industry that has suffered over the years due to pressures. 

Greg Stump
  • thank god we have killington and their relentless efforts to stay open till we are literally skiing on mud  lol 
  • And what a March it was.  14 days, 7 areas, 5 states wrapped up here today in PA where it also started (something I never expected).  Let's see what April brings starting next weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ