Okemo 3/31/2018

edited April 1 in Trip Reports
IMG_7072.JPG
1632 x 1224 - 612K
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

• That looks a little like Mt Snow
  • I should add: looking towards the north at Stratton.
  • Double Diamond at Okemo looking at Ascutney
  • xlr8r said:

Double Diamond at Okemo looking at Ascutney

I concur. 
  • Yes, Double Diamond "glade" at Okemo.
  • edited April 1
    xlr8r said:

Double Diamond at Okemo looking at Ascutney

Yup you nailed it. Looking East. Sunapee is over there 2 but it doesn't show well in this low res pic.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Interesting, we were there yesterday and a number of trails they had listed as open were roped. Double Diamond being one of them. Guess they were saving for the weekend. Would be nice if they mentioned the closures on the trail report.
  • jaytrem said:

Interesting, we were there yesterday and a number of trails they had listed as open were roped. Double Diamond being one of them. Guess they were saving for the weekend. Would be nice if they mentioned the closures on the trail report.

This was true at Sunday River for a couple of trails.
  • edited April 1
    3/31/2018 110 of 121 trails 15 of 20 lifts machined groomed & variable secondary 1" last 7 sunny no wind. The bubbles had a wait in the morning but everything else was ski on. A little chunky in the morning ungroomed but bumps in the sun softened up nicely. 
    Yeah the one next to Double Diamond, Outage? was closed but looked eminently skiable compared to stuff at Wildcat they let us go down.
    We used our free tickets from our ski equipment purchases this year or it would have been $110 walk up.
    imageimageimageimageimage
    IMG_7069.JPG
    1851 x 1389 - 652K
    IMG_7070.JPG
    1645 x 1234 - 640K
    IMG_7071.JPG
    1645 x 1234 - 673K
    IMG_7073.JPG
    1645 x 1234 - 696K
    IMG_7075.JPG
    1645 x 1234 - 668K
  • edited April 1
    Looks nice. I think yesterday was one of those warm, bluebird, spring days that was just about perfect wherever you were able to ski.
  • Yes beautiful and relatively uncrowded
  • Gorgeous!
    Skied there once in '78 after Mt Snow but for the life of me can't remember all the Poma surface lifts.
    Stayed in Cavendish in '07 near the Castle and drove up as far as I could at the area and remember the train trestle.
  • I was there the 25th and 26th, so that's the reason why I knew the answer so easily.  Conditions still look great a week later I see.  Only a few bare spots starting to show it looks like.  Its weird I used to not like Okemo much at all, but skiing there a few times the last couple years, the place has really grown on me.  To the point I am seriously considering getting an Epic Pass next year because of the 7 unrestricted days at Okemo and Sunapee, in addition to Stowe.
  • I hear ya. It's kinda a strange set up not too common for the east where you have to take a lift up to another lift before you can do any serious skiing and that's true for both base areas. 
  • I was presently surprised to find bumps all over the mountain. They don't seem to be grooming wall to wall as much as I've seen in the past. Lots of sides of trails left to bump up.