Bolton Valley 4/1/2018

in Trip Reports Posts: 2,349
It felt like the middle of winter still at Bolton Valley with colder temps and a deep base. Some trails had bare patches where they we exposed to wind and sun, but most areas still had great cover. It was a very windy day, but luckily the wind was blowing straight up the lifts so they didn't go on wind hold. Most trails and glades across Wilderness and Vista Peaks were open, but Timberline has closed for the season. However, there were a few trails closed which were marked as open on the trail report. The snow was hardpack and the wind made some of the more exposed trails especially icy. Some trails softened a bit throughout the day, but many areas stayed firm. Crowds were very light and there was never any waiting. It was a great way to start April and this snow should last a good while longer.

Vista QuadimageSnowflake DoubleimageWilderness DoubleimageWilderness DoubleimageWilderness DoubleimageBolton OutlawimageWilderness DoubleimageWilderness WoodsimageCross OverimageVista GladeimageVista QuadimageVista Quadimage
- Sam
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 459K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 570K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 493K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 545K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 511K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 514K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 542K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 543K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 547K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 598K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 546K
image.jpeg
2048 x 1536 - 479K

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Very nice Sam, that Hall double looks long!
  • edited April 2 Posts: 2,349
    ciscokid said:

Yes, Wilderness has over 160 chairs!
    - Sam
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Thanks for the report, I have to get back up there sometime.
  • bmwskierbmwskier expert
    Great report! I don't recall ever skiing Wilderness and yes, that looks like a heck of a long double chair ride. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I was there Saturday, lots of soft snow in the sun exposed terrain. Woods are still holding on strong.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    ciscokid said:

And all that length for not much vertical or pitch. Definitely a chair very high on my list of chairs I'll probably never ride again at a ski area I still will visit again.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    riverc0il said:

ciscokid said:

And all that length for not much vertical or pitch. Definitely a chair very high on my list of chairs I'll probably never ride again at a ski area I still will visit again.

It's about 1,000 vertical. I agree that the middle and lower trails are not very interesting, but the top pitches are fun and skiing the glades in the middle and lower sections can make for some very fun runs when combined with the upper trails/glades. It's always one of my favorite areas of the resort to ski when the woods are in play. And it's away from any crowds or lift lines.
    - Sam