THE COLD HEART OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SKIING

Wouldn't exactly call it praise.  Also wouldn't exactly know how to dispute it.  Yeah, that's Cannon  http://www.powder7.com/ski-blog/the-cold-heart-of-new-hampshire-skiing/

Comments

• A skier's mountain, and hopefully it stays that way!
  • skirick said:

A skier's mountain, and hopefully it stays that way!

How would it not stay that way? What would make it become something other than a skier's mountain?
  • The article makes a comparison between Vail and Cannon's acreage. You should write an article about a fictional ski resort swap. Take a Vail skier, and drop them in Cannon, then take a Cannon skier and drop them in Vail. Follow them for a few days and record the reactions.  
  • edited April 3
    "Believe it or not, bluebird days do exist at Cannon" 

That's true, I had one once!!!   And the color of the snow matched the color of the sky.  
    ;))

But I can't wait to go back!

• ^ That's hilarious (and true) Rick!

We had a bluebird day at Cannon recently.  I got lost because I didn't recognize the trails. 
  • Back in the '60s (I can hear it now. Here's the old fa--er, fogy talking about the old days) before snowmaking at Cannon and when grooming was dragging a hunk of chain link fence behind a Tucker Snowcat, the  top of Cannon was almost always some combination of wind-packed snow and blue ice. It wasn't for sissies. Still isn't, I guess.
    The typical Cannon skier in those days wore black or dark brown parkas and black stretch pants and the only other place I ever saw some of them was in Tuckerman Ravine after the lifts closed at Cannon. And, they could ski anything.
  • The article left out the part about the snowmaking upgrades that made a big change to the old skiers mountain. No mention of Mittersill, either the old school way or the superhighway trail like Vail has.
  • newman said:

The article left out the part about the snowmaking upgrades that made a big change to the old skiers mountain. No mention of Mittersill, either the old school way or the superhighway trail like Vail has.

Wide for racing. Rules have changed and racing trails have to be wider. The slalom hill is a bit much, but that way they can set multiple courses.
  • My first two brochures from New England resorts were from Cannon and Jay Peak. Done Jay several times and Cannon is on the list for sure. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • I've had many bluebird spring skiing days at Cannon and those are hard to beat.