Waterville Valley New Summit T Bar

From Liftblog.com:

Lift construction season is here!  Thanks to Carleton G. for these photos of Waterville Valley’s new LST T-Bar.

Comments

• Hmmmmm....still a chance it will be running this season...
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • I suspect I owe someone a beer :)
  • From the Waterville Facebook today

The High Country Double’s final weekend of operation will be this Saturday and Sunday 4/7 and 4/8. Come bid adieu to this iconic piece of Waterville history, and get some last laps in - before the double comes down and construction continues on the new High Country T-Bar!
  • Tyg said:

From the Waterville Facebook today

The High Country Double’s final weekend of operation will be this Saturday and Sunday 4/7 and 4/8. Come bid adieu to this iconic piece of Waterville history, and get some last laps in - before the double comes down and construction continues on the new High Country T-Bar!

Someone really should video a ride up that Städeli and post it here.

IBRAKE
  • I love/hate this.

Love it because:  a) the High Country was one of the worst lift's in New England, b) I'm a big believer of surface lifts in windy terrain.

Hate it because:  T-Bar on a snowboard is pretty awful. Not impossible, just not fun.

Overall it feels like a zero sum. 
  • What's unique about this situation - the summit of Waterville was first served by a double, then a double and HSQ, then just a double, then a T-bar. This has to be the only time that the most modern access goes from HSQ-Double-T-bar.
  • NELSAP said:

What's unique about this situation - the summit of Waterville was first served by a double, then a double and HSQ, then just a double, then a T-bar. This has to be the only time that the most modern access goes from HSQ-Double-T-bar.

Silverstar in BC also chopped the top of a HSQ and replaced with a t-bar.  I think it was more to get rid of a mid-station when upgrading from a yan HSQ.  Can't think of any other until Ascutney runs some surface lift all the way to the top of the old HSQ.  ;-)
  • I wonder what will become of the double. I guess it can be used for parts on the many on the hill like it.
  • newman said:

I wonder what will become of the double. I guess it can be used for parts on the many on the hill like it.

Lower Meadows is a very similar double, but you're right. They have at least two other Stadeli lifts still running.

I for one am sad to see that double go, as a snowboarder I hate T-bars. Just dealt with them at Laax in Switzerland and they suck. I get why skiers love them though. It'll be nice to see HC get more use with less wind holds, but opening early with just a T and down loading White Peaks is not going to be very attractive.
  • I don't know why they don't open on Shadyside in the first effort instead of High Country
  • Funny, if "skiing" a full day on a t-bar I actually find it more comfortable on a snowboard. Have more weight distribution issues when l ride single as a skier, tend to have to fight it a bit (pomas much better). It's also not bad when I have a partner, or for short periods of time. But on a snowboard I can happily ride a t-bar alone all day.
    Sully said:

I get why skiers love them though.

• edited April 7
    I suspect I owe someone a beer :)
    Oh you still have time, they only have to mount all the pulleys, string the cables, align everything, mount the T's, start her up & get it inspected in what was 9 days. No problem. ;)
    Besides, I don't know if I came take anything from a red jacket/white cross person. I always buy the beer for them when I can. Many thanks to you and all your ilk for keeping us safe on the slopes!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA