Nubs Nob 4/4/2018

TreillyTreilly advanced
edited April 5 in Trip Reports Posts: 288
I thought my ski season was over, but when a winter storm warning was issued for Northern Michigan and 12'-18' of snow foretasted my buddy at work and I made a last minute decision to take a vacation day and go storm/powder chasing. We dorve as far as Gaylord Mi and spent the night. the usually 3 hour drive was closer to 4 1/2 hrs. We had to make a choice of skiing Boyne Mtn which was only 20 mins from our motel  or Nubs which is an hour further north. Boyne had maybe 1/2 of the hill open and most of the runs were in a bowl and lift tickets were $60. Nubs was 100% open and $40 lift tickets. So we choose Nubs. image
We were booted up By 9am and they had at least a foot and it still snowed another 4 hours. It was very windy on the main face and there were pockets of hard pack and 1-2 feet of new and drifted snow. We went over to the south side and ended up being sheltered from the wind and 12"-15" of un groomed snow 
imageThis was my first time skiing in anything more than 4-6" of new snow and now I know why people live for this. The wood which were done for the season on Tuesday now were back in play and knee deep in some areas. The Pin Tail Peak had most of the runs groomed with the sides left untouched. It was a good decision because the with the depth of the snow and the grade of the runs it would not have been fun. After about 5 hours my legs had all they could take. Skiing powder deferentially used different legs muscles than I have been using all season. It was a great way to end my season.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage 
Also winter just won't let go. You can see that Grand Traverse Bay is still frozen, but Lake Michigan has no ice on it. The veiw is fantastic.
IMG_2620.jpg
2016 x 1512 - 638K
IMG_2622.jpg
2016 x 1512 - 821K
IMG_2621.jpg
1841 x 1379 - 439K
IMG_2623.jpg
640 x 480 - 126K
IMG_2624.jpg
640 x 480 - 143K
IMG_2625.jpg
640 x 480 - 131K
IMG_2627.jpg
1538 x 1153 - 386K
IMG_2630.jpg
1280 x 960 - 660K
IMG_2631.jpg
640 x 480 - 124K
IMG_2632.jpg
640 x 480 - 113K
IMG_2633.jpg
2016 x 1512 - 1001K
IMG_2640.JPG
720 x 960 - 134K
IMG_2629.jpg
2502 x 1876 - 854K

Comments

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Wow!
  • khowleykhowley intermediate
    Looks nice, a day like that this late is the season is a gift!
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Ted you deserve it man, you and Jim and Michelle got the great goods probably the best April skiing you'll ever have in your life in my opinion at the best ski area in the lower Peninsula of Michigan!

I wish I had a ski partner that lives close to me I had a desire and drive that you and Jim have together to drive for five hours or whatever took you to get there in the snowstorm because it all paid off in the end, it is what skiing at the dream is meant to be chasing the storm!

Thanks for finishing the season, super note because I can only imagine the great experience you had and I could tell by your response and calling me but you were geeked and stoked and whatever else they use for verbiage these days

I love all your pictures and my favorite one is the orange chair pic of the runs underneath the orange chair and I formally roped off area that the general manager of knobs said you can poach anytime you want to me you live the dream that I would have love to experience, kudos to you and looking forward to next year with you guys.
    April powder day! Looks great
    - Sam
    I was looking at a trail map and the Race Area area caught my eye. It seems like an unusual trail pod with one trail and a bunch of glades. Is it served by a rope tow?
    - Sam
  • TreillyTreilly advanced

I was looking at a trail map and the Race Area area caught my eye. It seems like an unusual trail pod with one trail and a bunch of glades. Is it served by a rope tow?

When they first cut that area they had a super 1/2 pipe there. Now it is used mainly for race training.  There is a rope tow to access the tail and glads. Personally I am not a fan of rope tows and never skied over there.image
    1233_449.jpg
    450 x 301 - 31K
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Looks like a most excellent day. Congrats!!

I am certain there was nothing but smiles on all the faces there.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    JMaul said:

Looks like a most excellent day. Congrats!!

I am certain there was nothing but smiles on all the faces there.
    Thanks. I know I may never get a day like that again. Being in April less than a week before they close for the season there was very few people there. They still have a very deep base even without the new snow. It a shame that more people won’t go spring skiing and they will close Sunday with what will be close, if not mid winter conditions

• Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Do they  let people climb and ski after they've shut down. If so, and with that kind of cover, maybe there's a chance for another day of skiing if you're  motivated enough.
    Bill29 said:

Do they  let people climb and ski after they've shut down. If so, and with that kind of cover, maybe there's a chance for another day of skiing if you're  motivated enough.

I have no idea if they allow youbdo earn your turns after they close
    edited April 5 Posts: 2,245
    March 4 2018

imageimage
    IMG_4512.JPG
    2016 x 1512 - 621K
    IMG_4511.JPG
    2016 x 1512 - 396K
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    Looks like an awesome day for sure.  I'm surprised they still were bashing gates this late in the season, let alone on a powder day!
    marcski said:

Looks like an awesome day for sure.  I'm surprised they still were bashing gates this late in the season, let alone on a powder day!

Sorry Marc, was a month ago

2 yrs ago had a great 4" powder day at Nubs but not as great as your day yesterday Ted

https://www.snowjournal.com/discussion/669/greetings-from-nubs-nob-harbor-springs-mich-april-2-and-3-2016/p1
  • bmwskierbmwskier expert
    Awesome report! Looks like the powder stashes kept going for a while and the view was incredible. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    ciscokid said:

March 4 2018

imageimage

Seems like a very unique race arena
    - Sam
  • newmannewman advanced
    It sort of looks like more work hiking from the finish area to the tow then the course itself. LOL
  • newmannewman advanced
    I bet they can pound that hill. Those fan guns look very close together.
    newman said:

I bet they can pound that hill. Those fan guns look very close together.

They have 248 ski-able acres and 292 snow guns. Also don't forget they used to have to blow enough snow to make a super half pipe in the race arena  
    What's their waters source? Lake Michigan? How many can they run together? 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    What's their waters source? Lake Michigan? How many can they run together? 
    https://www.nubsnob.com/snowmaking-grooming/

They have their own patented guns? Wow-- that's hard core!

It takes a lot of water to make snow.

Our wells can pump over 5000 gallons of water per minute into our supply pond. Six high pressure pumps then feed over 24 miles of underground piping, from 14” diameter main lines to 4” return lines, to all of our 46 slopes we make snow on. This water system is larger than water systems in most communities in Northern Michigan!

It takes a lot of snow guns to make snow.

Over 300 of our patented Nub’s Nob snow guns are used to cover the entire area. This gun was invented and patented right here at Nub’s and is the original energy efficient fan gun the rest of the world is still catching up with. These guns can turn over 50 gallons of water per minute into snow at temperatures below 29 degrees and over 100 gallons of water per minute in snow at temperatures below 17 degrees. We like it cold!

Greg Stump