Catamount Looking for Investors

Posted on Catamount's Facebook page April 6, 2018:

Mirus Resort Advisors, a real estate brokerage firm focused upon resort, recreation and hospitality operations, has been engaged by Catamount Ski Area to find an investor, joint venture partner or new owner of the S. Egremont, MA/Hillsdale, NY business (resort). Owners Tom Gilbert and Rich Edwards have said “we are initiating efforts to move Catamount forward in terms of improving and enhancing the guest experiences and services.” Catamount has 36 trails and 7 lifts that provide access to the mountain’s varied terrain over its 1,000 foot vertical drop. During the non-skiing months Catamount Aerial Adventure Park operates with 12 self-guided courses for all ability levels. In support of the four-season operation, Catamount employs over 400 people throughout the year. Gilbert explains “recreation areas such as Catamount, in today’s competitive environment, require significant and frequent capital upgrades. The company’s decision will facilitate development and future growth at Catamount.” 

Currently, Catamount’s Aerial Park staff is performing pre-season maintenance in order to open later this Spring. At the same time the aerial park sales staff is scheduling group visits. The mountain’s landscape division begins servicing customers in April. With regard to next season ski area operation, Catamount is already performing chairlift and grooming vehicle maintenance in preparation for the 2018-2019 winter season. 

For over 75 years, Catamount has been an important part of the fabric of New York’s Columbia County and Southern Berkshire County of Massachusetts. Edwards says “it is our desire as Catamount’s owners to solidify the ski area’s position locally as well as in the eyes of skiers and snowboarders traveling here from the Metro New York area, Connecticut and Hudson Valley region.”

So, Butternut buys Catamount and Bousquet, then sets up a southern Berkshires ski pass to Butternut, Bousquet, Catamount, Blandford, and Otis Ridge?

Woody

Comments

• The changes to the ski industry are being more rapid - and we need areas like Catamount - mid sized mountains that are affordable with a wide variety of activities to continue. I wish them the best in the process of moving forward. I know Rich Edwards well - he's the kind of owner you'd want at a ski area- very hands on - usually when I arrive he's parking cars and talking to guests. Not too many owners are larger areas would do that.

JD
  • I guess the condo project or club or whatever it was hurts them now by not going in. They should put houses everyplace like the areas in NC. Then he would be rich.
  • NELSAP said:

I know Rich Edwards well - he's the kind of owner you'd want at a ski area- very hands on - usually when I arrive he's parking cars and talking to guests. Not too many owners are larger areas would do that.

I spent a couple days at Catamount last month and had a really nice talk with the guy parking cars.  I told him how much I loved the place and wished I got there more often, then we segued into a funny conversation about the skiing "culture" at Hunter, to which I've never been but he encouraged me to try at least once despite the aforementioned "culture."

NELSAP, when I read your post I went in search of a pic of Rich Edwards and, alas, he's the guy who was parking cars that day!  I had no idea I was talking to an owner, but like you say, how many owners at larger areas would be doing something like that.  If any place deserves for good things to happen to it, it's this place. 
  • edited April 8
    Here’s anyone with a large chunk of coin chance to live the dream of owning a ski area